Thoughts on Casström No 10 Swedish Forest Knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
I usually use a kukri/folding knife combo when in the woods, etc., but for a while I've been thinking I'd give the 4" knife/small axe combo a try - it's got to be so popular for a reason!

So, I've been looking for a good quality sub-£100 bushcraft knife and not been having much luck. However, today I stumbled across the Casström No 10 Swedish Forest Knife, and I think I'm in love :) http://woodland-ways.co.uk/buy-onli...ish-forest-knife-curly-birch-handle--894.html It looks like a lot of knife for £70. Does anyone have one? What do people think?

You can also purchase a firesteel and suitable sheath separately (as shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQOL8qL3gSU), which got me thinking: do people on the whole like carrying a firesteel on their sheaths, or is it better off in your pocket or fire pouch?

By the way, the axe I'm thinking of is the Hultafors Classic Hunting Axe, which is similar to the Gransfors Small Forest Axe but half the price. Has anyone tried one of these?

Got a birthday coming up, so looking to ask for something useful this year!

There's a good review of that knife on here somewhere.. However I bought the blank to put a handle on myself and when it arrived the amount of chips out of the blade nearly freaked me out, it looked virtually serrated!! So back it went for a refund and I never went near the knife again! Hope you have better luck..

Didgeridoohan

Tenderfoot
I've only heard good things about this knife (as long as we're talking about the new version, which your link seems to show). Been thinking about getting it for a while, but i don't really have a need for it and other priorities always comes up...

There is a review of the old version here on BCUK and the funny thing is that the only negative things the reviewer had to say about the old version has been changed with the new (IIRC).

Your link shows the scandi grind, but it also comes in a full flat grind. Check out http://www.casstrom.co.uk.

I wouldn't keep my fire steel with my knife like that, but that fire steel looks awfully nice...

About the axe... Can't say anything about the Hultafors axe, but I own the Gränsfors one and it is a really good axe. Can't recommend it enough (if you can live with the cost).

Last edited:

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Thanks for your feedback redneck. How long ago did you get the blank? My understanding is that there's a new version of the knife out now, so that may have addressed some of the quality issues too.

Thanks Didgeridoohan, sounds positive. I thought the firesteel looked nice too! But I've never needed to light fires so frequently that I needed a firesteel with my knife; a sharpening stone would be more useful I'd have thought.

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Thanks for your feedback redneck. How long ago did you get the blank? My understanding is that there's a new version of the knife out now, so that may have addressed some of the quality issues too.

Thanks Didgeridoohan, sounds positive. I thought the firesteel looked nice too! But I've never needed to light fires so frequently that I needed a firesteel with my knife; a sharpening stone would be more useful I'd have thought.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Shame it does not come in stick tang model,

Looks to be a quality piece of gear though, good choice of steel and tempered to a good hardness. Profile looks good too.

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
It's funny, I was always taught to look for a full tang in a knife, as it was stronger, but since the rise of bushcraft and all things sharp and Scandinavian stick tang is more acceptable (even popular) now.

JoBadger

Aug 8, 2013
North Yorkshire
This has been my main knife for well over a year now and I have to say I have been nothing but impressed with it!

It was actually a birthday gift and replaced my trusty Mora that I was using at the time.

For the price it is a truly fantastic knife, I have used and abused it and it has done nothing but shrug it off, admittedly it does have some rust staining near the handle but this is more down to my learning curve when I got it, I was fairly new to this sort of knife and was far too used to my stainless mora and my learning curve and slight naivety (coupled with spending some time working courses on the coast :p) have left their mark, but this isn't a reflection on the knife.

It stay's sharp and sharpens up easily, the sheath has loosened over time but that's leather. My sheath is the one without the firesteel loop, I usually carry all my firelighting stuff in a pouch so didn't feel the need to pick that up, was VERY tempted though haha

I had heard about the issues with people receiving them with chips out of the knife but mine arrived ok, also it was incredibly sharp out of the box.

My knife is the older model which doesn't look available any more, least not after a cursory glance, the main difference between the two is the handle.
On the new model the handle has a very "downswept" tail end and a coke bottle profile, whereas the one I have the 'downsweep' is much more subtle and the handle is more..."boxy?", let me know if you want photos if this all sounds a bit jumbled.

Anyway, to sum it all up, a fantastic quality knife for a very good price and a knife that I would definitely recommend :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I had a Casstrom Leuku / Puukko combination. The handle on the Leuku was dangerously bad. Casstrom's after sales service amounted to "oh dear, how sad, never mind". I got rid and have had far better Puukko's elsewhere. Notably Shinkens manufacture - they are light years better made.

I can't be doing with shockingly bad customer care to be honest.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
It's funny, I was always taught to look for a full tang in a knife, as it was stronger, but since the rise of bushcraft and all things sharp and Scandinavian stick tang is more acceptable (even popular) now.

Yeah if well made i think stick tangs are more durable as they are effectively a sealed unit instead of having metal showing all around the tang. Imho

And thanks Red, i need to make you another really as the one you have is how i used to make them, i feel bad that you have an older model. (not that i make knives to sell) But at the moment i got workshop issues

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Got one of these yesterday for my birthday and already tried it out in the woods. All I can say is that I'm very impressed. It's really nice, and a lot of knife for the money.

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
K720 carbon steel in a Scandi grind. First time I've had a non-stainless steel knife or a Scandi grind - impressed with both so far!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE