Thoughts on Alpkit PD600

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Hi guys,

I'm in need of a new sleeping bag, and I've heard good stories about the Alpkit PipeDream series.

The PD600 looks good, although it might be too warm for my use.

I will be using the bag in the summer and possibly spring or fall. Mainly in Western Europe, but in the future probably in Scandinavia and Scotland as well. I'm 5 foot 9 (180cm) tall and weigh around 65kg. I will be using a Thermarest Prolite sleeping mat and using a tent/hammock/tarp most of the time.

I'm not sure if I'm a hot or cold sleeper though. I don't like it to be too hot anyway, especially around my feet.

So, with this information, would you recommend the PD600, or would that be too warm? The PD400 available in November. But I'm going camping in Switzerland for a week in August. I could use my current bag for that trip, but a new one would be nice.

Looking forward to your insights, as usual :)

Oh, this might help:
The PD600 has a comfort temp of -10, the PD400 of -3.

Last edited:

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Wow i was just about to start an identical thread! My credit card has been staring at me on the coffee table and was just about to order one when i decided to do a search on BCUk for reviews!

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Wow i was just about to start an identical thread! My credit card has been staring at me on the coffee table and was just about to order one when i decided to do a search on BCUk for reviews!
Haha. Well, apparently great minds do think alike :p Let's just hope other people pitch in too :)

By the way, I sent an email to Alpkit and they're advising me to wait for the PD400. But more input would be nice.

Maybe choose the 400? I guess it's lighter to carry, and presumably cheaper. When you need the extra warmth, use a liner or stick it in a bivvy bag? Anyway, personally I'd rather be a little cold once in a while rather than way too hot most of the time.
Mmm, maybe need a new bag myself...

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Maybe choose the 400? I guess it's lighter to carry, and presumably cheaper. When you need the extra warmth, use a liner or stick it in a bivvy bag? Anyway, personally I'd rather be a little cold once in a while rather than way too hot most of the time.
Mmm, maybe need a new bag myself...
Good points.

But what I really want to know; how comfortable are warm bags in the summer? I don't have a lot of experience with (tight) mummy bags).
Also, how much degrees does a liner add?

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I will only use the pd 600 in winter, as have got a lighteight summer bag and a bag for autumn aswell......., turning in to a bit of a sleeping bag collector. Anyway so being too hot is not really an issue for me!

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I always find it easier to cool down in warm weather, than warm up in cold weather. Its better to have a bag above your comfort level and then use it when needed.
Use it as a quilt in hot weather, or as intended during cold!

I have the SkyHigh 600, summer its a quilt or bag depending on the night, autumn I use a silk liner zipped up, winter, a bivi outside and the liner inside.

Regards, al.

I always find it easier to cool down in warm weather, than warm up in cold weather. Its better to have a bag above your comfort level and then use it when needed.
Use it as a quilt in hot weather, or as intended during cold!

I have the SkyHigh 600, summer its a quilt or bag depending on the night, autumn I use a silk liner zipped up, winter, a bivi outside and the liner inside.

Regards, al.

Interesting. Never looked at it that way round.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
It does make a good sleep system.

The silk liner weighs nothing (at a guess 60-70grms) and the bivi about 400. During the spring, I just take the liner... summer, just the bag. Winter all three.
A silk liner will add a few degree's to your bag comfort zone, with a bivi on the outside in serous cold, you are laughing. Used the 600 to -8 with the liner/bivi combo and I was seriously warm, almost too much

al.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got both, for summer, spring and fall I'd say you'll be too warm with the 600. I suppose it depends on where you're camping though, in Switzerland you might be at altitude and might need that extra warmth.

From my experience I think the Alpkit ratings are honest, even a little conservative

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Thanks guys, I've made up my mind. I'll wait for the PD400. I can always use it with a termal base layer/liner/bivy. Seems like a solid and versatile solution :)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I've got both, for summer, spring and fall I'd say you'll be too warm with the 600. I suppose it depends on where you're camping though, in Switzerland you might be at altitude and might need that extra warmth.

From my experience I think the Alpkit ratings are honest, even a little conservative

Indeed, Trail magazine tested out the 600 and found it good to -15 and they suspected lower. I know the 800 is damn warm at any temp above the minuses. I'd quite happily get a 400 for summerish use, however now I have to add it to my list of 'wanna buys' ie cuben fibre tarps, backpacks etc.... :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE