this is why amateurs shouldn't be alowed chainsaws...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Ban anything that's potentially dangerous!

Treat adults like children!

If you want to take my chainsaw you'll have to pry it from my cold self-amputated hands :p

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
tbh i dont think it takes away any freedoms, you have to lern and pay for a test to get a driveing licence just less people use chainsaws. is having to have a driving licence takeing away your freedom?

pete

You actually have to PAY to take the test!?

Yup I agree Rebel. Video is a set up. However good diversion from the thread regarding freedom and sensibility. Using our saws at work is a big deal. We've got great families to come home to in one piece, cider in our larders and there's that whole thing about not looking like an irresponsible t*t in front of your clients............hc

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Until you get into your 70's, but that is a completely different debate.

On this topic I will have my view with strangers. If something only affects me, don't tell me what to do and I wont tell you what to do, and please don't restrict my access to things just because you are scared of them. I am perfectly capable of making my own risk assessments, and no I don't need to write them down!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I say ban all amateurs from using chainsaws... Then 100% of the accidents will be had by pros... So we should ban those too.and ban all drivers who have accidents, they're obviously amateurs who have no place on the road... And ban overly fat people... And ban overly thin people, and did you know overly tall people are more likely to get a collapsed lung... Ban 'em too!ban everything, when a child is born, we should introduce a coma so they don't get into trouble, when they are of breeding age we should take their genetic material and grow more safe bed ridden people.this whole thread is an insult to freedom as far as I am concerned but then freedom should be banned too at some point.

Last edited:

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
You can't stop accident's, but you can stop muppets using a chainsaw without propper training, that will almost certainly cause an accident to someone other than themselves!
It would be a bit like people driving a car without taking driving lessons, on both accounts you are opperating a killing machines, and should be treated as such.
People that think "I can do that", are usually the ones that need the most training!
But then i am only a Fully Qualified tree surgeon, that has a friend as a nurse in A&E, what do either of us know!!

RM

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
You are right!
She does just see the unlucky ones!
It just so happens that most of them are not trained or qualified, which says it all really!
That also explains why most people that nick cars that don't have training also crash the car's more often that not!

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Alcohol is not a killing machine Car's and Chainsaws are!,Alcohol just turns irresponsible people into one!
But yes, You are right, i would say a lot more alcohol related that most things, especially on a weekend!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
You are right!
She does just see the unlucky ones!
It just so happens that most of them are not trained or qualified, which says it all really!
That also explains why most people that nick cars that don't have training also crash the car's more often that not!

Most people will be without training or qualification because there are more people in the uk with gardens than there are qualified tree cutting people. Your made up statistics are no match for my made up statistics ;)

if every qualified tree cutter type person had an accident and every amateur did, there would still be more unqualified folk in A&E but it proves nothing.

i imagine that most people who drive their own car value it more than those who drive stollen ones... Certainly if I had stollen my arms and legs I would use a chainsaw in much more entertaining ways!

i can't imagine many people steal cars because they really need a new car... That's too funny.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
i imagine that most people who drive their own car value it more than those who drive stollen ones... Certainly if I had stollen my arms and legs I would use a chainsaw in much more entertaining ways!

i can't imagine many people steal cars because they really need a new car... That's too funny.[/QUOTE]

You got me there!:)
There are just some thing's that i can't argue against!, and stollen arm's and legs are definately one of them!:lmao:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Alcohol is not a killing machine Car's and Chainsaws are!,Alcohol just turns irresponsible people into one!
But yes, You are right, i would say a lot more alcohol related that most things, especially on a weekend!

Actually it is.
In 2010 there were 8,790 deaths in the UK, directly caused by alcohol. There were far more deaths from illness that may be caused by alcohol. Over 40% of all violent crime in the UK has an alcohol dimension.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_254061.pdf

This number is far higher than deaths from drink driving (380 in 2009)

http://www.civitas.org.uk/crime/factsheet-alcoholcrime.pdf

Around a million crimes a year have been directly identified as being carried out by those under the influence of alcohol (British Crime Survey)

If we want to save lives and money, it makes far more sense to ban alcohol than chainsaws - or guns or carrying knives for that matter.

Now people may say "many people can use alcohol responsibly" - but many use chainsaws and knives responsibly - idiot irresponsible people should not dictate public policy - particularly when they only people they hurt is themselves.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Lets not forget that many chainsaw accidents are very funny... Like watching a skateboarder sliding down railings on his nuts. Sure it is going to hurt but well... I chuckle, it's not very PC but I do.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
We can't charge people with drinking to excess in this country yet, and they are scary statistics, but some things we can govern, and should!
Do you think people should be able to drive a car without a licience then?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE