this is why amateurs shouldn't be alowed chainsaws...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
I agree with you 100%. Apprenticeships would be so much better!, college teaches you textbook only, nothing better than learning from the real world.
I wish i could have done it that way myself, no such luck!
It's a shame that someone who has been doing it for years can't just show proof of there skills and given a certificate, which is all that the insurance and government are interested in!
Give it a few more years and there may be a culture change again!
You get to cut real size tree's where you come from, lucky man!
RM

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well I USED to get to. LOL. I haven't done that type work in a while now. I do have one family member still doing it though.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I have never had any official saw training. When I bought my first saw, I did hours of internet research first. Then I was fortunate enough to get practical "care & feeding" lessons from a neighbour who was an agricultural engineer, followed by more training from my bro who is in the forestry. I still count myself very much an amateur but I am confident that I won't be killed by the saw.
I could not afford a chainsaw safety course. What would have been great, would have been a short, cheap (Say £25) two or three hour course to deliver the basic information you need to get going safely. If it had been available I would have gone for it. Not compulsory, just offered. Not a qualification that entitled you to anything, just the info you need.

Z

Well dont do this

[video=youtube;EkDlc8NRJkE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkDlc8NRJkE[/video]

This one needs a licence ;)

[video=youtube;3ljd_hUxCfI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ljd_hUxCfI[/video]

THese guys have a beard similar to Reds ;)

11tmv4l.jpg

this is a self Curing safety issue no Gene pools were contaminated

tumblr_mfx48cgNLi1qcbo9lo1_500  .jpg

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Looks like much more fun over your side of the water, i would love to at least climb a giant redwood!
A lot of my work is bloody conifers and lelandi! BORING! :(

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Looks like much more fun over your side of the water, i would love to at least climb a giant redwood!
A lot of my work is bloody conifers and lelandi! BORING! :(

Actually the majority od logging is for conifers. Specifically pines. And actually giant redwoods are conifers. But I do understand what you're saying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE