This is what it is like at Postgrad level....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I signed up for Historic Buildings Conservations and Management.

We have a stellar and much storied team.

First lesson! On seeing us loose with cameras on our trip we have been told for the next few trips (we have been promised lots of trips) NO CAMERAS

We are to each get a cheap sketch pad and pencils and DRAW things...if we have no art knowledge or skill, too bad.

This will teach us observations skills.

This is what it is like at Postgrad level; we may be asked to do something completely unfamiliar, and to not bat an eyelid.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

First lesson! On seeing us loose with cameras on our trip we have been told for the next few trips (we have been promised lots of trips) NO CAMERAS

We are to each get a cheap sketch pad and pencils and DRAW things...if we have no art knowledge or skill, too bad.

This is what it is like at Postgrad level; we may be asked to do something completely unfamiliar, and to not bat an eyelid.

Did you not do Drawing for your degree though ? From plane table to site sketching to topographical mapping ?

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I have done a little bit of conservation work with EH - my role has been little more than a gopher and fetcher/carrier tbh but i have been to 2 sites where I haven’t been allowed to take photos of the site

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, we can take pics, its to teach us how to see things...and take better pics in doing so.

its an important skill to develop; I do not count myself as an artist but I can draw something that looks a lot like the artefact I am drawing.

I think this shows how good our tutors are

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere

Reminds me of nature lessons back in Junior school, drawing leaves and insects, and to be perfectly honest I was crap at it.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Of course there will be new things to learn, otherwise what would be the point of doing the course? :) If they are pushing you to stretch yourselves while providing guidance and encouragement, that sounds like a worthwhile course.

Nobody’s expecting you to know everything beforehand - you are there to learn after all - so just go for it and try your best. As you keep at it, you’ll (hopefully) improve and develop your skills. And remember to enjoy it!

Reactions: Toddy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I simply cannot draw. Even my stick men don't look like stick men. One day I aspire to drawing like a preschooler but I'm not holding my breath. It is simply not true that anyone can draw. I'm proof!

BTW my definition of drawing is the creation of a graphical representation of something that another person can identify.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's a canyon of difference between "looking" at some thing and then really "seeing" it.
Drawing On The Right Side of the Brain is the seminal text to get you started.
I've never had any difficulty giving my mind the gentle "push" to engage Right Side.

I'm all in favor of both the concept and the practice of very few pictures, mostly drawings.

Reactions: oldtimer and Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Cut to the chase. I taught my Cell Bio classes how to look crooked through a microscope. Right eye in the left ocular. Left eye on the paper with the pencil. Fuse the two images. Draw. I think a few were profoundly impressed how easily it could be done. Has to be that way to match brain sides to the tasks.

Drawing is Right Side processing. The sooner you learn to switch from the dominate Left Side, the more fun you have in art.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE