This is not a Seax but it was inspired by one..

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I have had some well seasoned coppiced ash kicking about waiting for me to use. I was going to use them as stool legs but then I was inspired to do something a bit more fun:

B44ktbDl.jpg

You can't see the blade too well but it is a single bevel with a flat back. I wanted to thin it out a bit more but was terrified of ruining it. I like to imagine that there is a bit of a pattern welding thing going on there, even if it isn't authentic.

xk57PGcl.jpg

I am currently working out what style to do a simple sheath such that I can wear it when we have school visits and eat my lunch with it!

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Now that I like! That is really very cool, like that a lot, very nice work there. To thin the blade out what I normally do it to get it as close as I dare when carving, then use sandpaper to finely grind down the edge then seal with a hardening glue to make the blade that bit harder and longer wearing :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Now that I like! That is really very cool, like that a lot, very nice work there. To thin the blade out what I normally do it to get it as close as I dare when carving, then use sandpaper to finely grind down the edge then seal with a hardening glue to make the blade that bit harder and longer wearing :)

Thanks!

I actually got the basic shape very quickly with stop cuts and splitting. I then chickened out using edged tools and did get the sanding block out to both thin the blade further and put the edge on it. There are three coats of finishing oil on it, with wire wool finishing between coats. I need to flat and apply a final coat as the edge lifted a bit but you can't see it in the pics.

I want to do another one using birch as the grain on that comes up superbly when oiled.

I'll post up again when I've done the sheath; thanks for the kind words.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
That sounds good mate, nice one. Yeah birch always has a lovely grain to it.

I had a go at making a similar kind of thing of making a much longer wooden knife type thing, yet was a bit over-enthusiastic with the billhook and then never tried again, this has certainly inspired me to have a go at something similar :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
One of the activities we run with the kids is making a simple butter knife/spreader with a rounded end.

This introduces them to basic knife skills and some of them get pretty good. I kind of took that idea and developed it a bit. I was thinking of getting all OCD with decoration on the blade, hilt and handle but thought I'd leave the wood alone!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks; I learned a bit along the way about how I want to do the next one. The original inspiration was this:

39Lw6oRl.jpg

As can be seen, I have a way to go!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
A nice simple leather sheath to follow the lines of the blade.

Viking sheaths were usually wooden lined and leather wrapped I can email you some info from some of the finds in York.

Richard

I roughed out the basic shape for the sheath last night and it is as you describe, mirroring the blade shape. It will just be plain dark brown hide but with a former inside it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE