This IS a drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have enjoyed chatting about old tools with members of the forum several times in the past - from restoring and updating "Yankee" screwdrivers to using "Handy Billy" block and tackle rigs.

With that in mind I thought you might like to see one of my planned "Winter" projects - restoring an old seed drill

This is the drill

Seed Drill by British Red, on Flickr

The Wheels are adjustable along the axle to change the row spacing and there are a variety of holes on the dispenser for various seed sizes and planting densities

Seed Drill Adjustable Wheels by British Red, on Flickr

The brush to move seeds from the hopper to the drill is still in place - although I may make some more to vary the dispensing rate

Seed Drill Hopper and brush by British Red, on Flickr

I got this old war horse from a retiring farmer up the way, whose son has no desire to work land. The guy recalls his granddad drilling two acres of onions in a day with this :eek:. Its a lovely old tool - far nicer than the modern plastic jobs, so I intend to put it back as it should be....and maybe in fifty years, we will be commonly using such things again :)

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Wow,what a great bit of 'old' kit.
Be sure to show the restored job Red........im sure you will.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Have you got one already ? very nice.

lucky so and so, possibly equal to the plough in importance to modern agricultural society the seed drill. Tell the farmer I'll come and work his fields for him.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
There're not many greater pleasures than ressurecting lovely old tools and machinery and that drill looks like a great candidate for rescue; I'll look forward to seeing the results...............atb mac

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Have you got one already ? very nice.

lucky so and so, possibly equal to the plough in importance to modern agricultural society the seed drill. Tell the farmer I'll come and work his fields for him.

He's given up pc - rented his fields out to "big agriculture". Very sad. I promised him some proper bread and beer - he misses the days when bread didn't last more than two days. It was a small farm - they just can't compete now with the demand for "cheap food" - particularly proper mixed farms.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
He's given up pc - rented his fields out to "big agriculture". Very sad. I promised him some proper bread and beer - he misses the days when bread didn't last more than two days. It was a small farm - they just can't compete now with the demand for "cheap food" - particularly proper mixed farms.

It is a shame, that farms and rural communities have headed the way they have, but thats the modern world. Problems are no social lives and isolated children. If they want my advice the only way for young folk to get into farming is to farm from towns until the kids are older and they want to retire to the countryside. If this blokes son and the neighbouring farms got together, they could commute to the farm from the town. One could always do night duty if needed! Bigger farm cooperative, economies of scale, social lives, and mixed farms too.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sorry I misread the title, thought you meant this

[video=youtube;W3-BeTuEOZg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3-BeTuEOZg[/video]

Its so bad its great :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just so - I have a nasty modern plastic one at present - but I hope to replace it with this one!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE