Thinking of starting rabbit hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
I am currently toying with the idea of starting rabbit hunting, but i am not really sure how to. I live on the coast in Kent and dont really have much to do with farmers and so i am at a bit of a loss as to how to get shooting permission on any land. Also i am not sure what is the best type of gun to use. I am pretty set on the idea of a PCP air rifle (not sure what calibre though) but i do have a shotgun certificate so a 12 bore isnt out of the question, although i imagine that would be overkill. Also i havent been rabbit hunting before, and could really do with someone to show me the ropes, how should i find this someone? Sorry for all the questions but i am really keen on doing this but not sure where to start.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
WOW thats a broad subject you've brought up there!!!

Right let's break this down:

Permission:
The hardest thing in the world to get. I have the luxery of living on a farm and it took me 1 year to get the farmer to let me shoot. Other suggestions... join a field target air rifle club, people may know where there is permission or invite you along, another pair of hands are always useful. You have a shotgun, get down to some clay clubs, again people may know or invite you along.
Just remember, it may take a while to get permission. Don't get downhearted just keep trying, places to shoot are among the most jealously guarded things there are!!

Gun:
I have used a shotgun on rabbits for "snap shooting" before now. They are not overkill for rabbits, lets face it some clay clubs have dedicated "rabbit" launchers that roll clays along the ground. A PCP air rifle is good for ranges around 30-50m. The debate on calibre is a long fought affair. The most popular is .22 as it regarded as harder hitting but a fair few people i know use .177 for the flatter tradgetory(sp?). Either way the aim (s orry for the pun) is a clean kill, not to wound. How accurate are you with a rifle? perhaps again a trip to a field target club to sharpen up your skills, meet poeple, perhaps get permission/invited along with people....see what i'm getting at!!?:D

Good luck and i'm sure other people will add to this or be able to help you

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I would suggest sending letters of introduction around the local farms but don't hold your breathe in the mean time get yourself down to the local range and practice your but off until you get the chance at live quarry

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I agree with all of the comments above. First you should be a proficient shot with your air r*fle or shotg*n. Also, consider joing the BASC to get the insurance if you don't get it through your field target club.

Getting shooting permission is about getting the farmer to see that you'd be a help, not a liability. He might be bothered about rabbits, or wood pigeons, crows, grey squirrels or even feral pigeons and rats in his buildings. Be willing to help him with what he's concerned about, even if that's not rabbits, and you're on your way. And it goes without saying that you should always be polite and act responsibly when you're on his land, (even when you think he's out of sight - farmers can see round corners)

It also can help if, when you talk to a new farmer (who has got a rabbit problem), you can say that you already shoot on someone else's farm locally. They all know each other and it can give you more credibility and you get a snowball effect.

I would also say that you're well placed to help the farmer if you have both shotg*n and air r*fle, different tools for different jobs. The farmer on our permission keeps asking if we have shotg*ns becuse he'd like us to do more!

Finally, I would say that all the markmanship in the world won't do you any good if your fieldcraft isn't up to it. Practice getting within range of rabbits when you're out and about, it's time well spent....

HTH

Rat

B

Banjobill

Agree with all the above - took me two years to get my permission. Lots of door knocking, lots of refusals. Once you do get your permission, make sure you get it in writing!

Whilst you are trying for permission, please dont be tempted to have a go without it - you will be committing armed trespass, and the police take a dim view of that sort of thing.

And good luck!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Good luck with getting the permission, it may take you a while but you may get lucky. I got my permission on the second farm I visited, it took a few weeks as the farmer was away on holiday and his son didn't want to say yay or nay. I stuck my neck out a bit and went up with Ratbag after we had been down the shooting club, and asked if he could come along, and he said OK. Ratbag goes up there on his own now, at the time the farmer wanted me present whenever he went on, not sure why as Ratbag is a tadge older than me and a lot more sensible!

I haven't tried asking anywhere else since, it would probably be a big help having the permission we have already, but I'm happy with what I have. So far, between Ratbag and myself, we've seen kestrels, owls, badgers, foxes, a few squirrels and rabbits which are on the menu along with rooks and magpies and pigeons if we can ever get near them! It really is a lovely little shoot, and the hill keeps the heart rate up and the fitness ticking over. I can think of worse ways to spend my time!

lukechatfield

Aug 29, 2011
sale
i have recently moved to the south manchester area and am looking to get started with rabbit hunting.....i am willing to help set nets ....and help on night shoots.... i am a member of the BASC and have insurance. if you want free help ....please let us know.....

Feb 9, 2015
London
Hi! I stumbled upon your post and was actually curious about joining Kent Wildfowlers. Have you hunted on their grounds or do you know anyone who does? If so, are there good chances of encountering rabbits or woodies? I know for example that Pete's farm has been shot extensively so there is hardly any bunnies left...

Thanks!

Why not think about joining Kent Wildfowlers?
Most wildfowling clubs also have access to vermin shooting i.e. pigeons & rabbits, you'll also get BASC membership thrown in along with clay shooting, mentoring for new members & a social scene.
In my humble opinion, wildfowling clubs offer the only "democratic" shooting in the UK!
:D :red: :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE