Thinking about an axe

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Righto i might be getting a fair bit of insurance money soon so i'm thinking about an axe.

I don't really have need for one but i'm sure once i have one it'll open up a world of possibilities.

The things i'd like to use it for is splitting logs, chopping up to 2 ft diameter trees, chopping fire wood. I'd also need it to fit inside a medium sized pack.

Gransfor Bruks seem to be the standard and i like the fact there swedish as i can trust the steel. The sfa axe is usually recomended as is the wildlife hatchet but i'm not sure whats best for what i wan't it for.

I like the kind of old style look of them and if taken care of they should last a lifetime.

GB isn't the only one on the market though.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
if your going for trees that big(just to ask why matey) then bin the sfa and go for the scandinavien forest axe or american felling axe style, but have a hunt around lots of cheaper in price deals to be had, look for husquvarner(sp) hultsfors bruks type dealios!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Can't recommend a particular axe unless we know what you want to use it for.

You've talked about chopping and splitting. TBH, if that was the sole use, I'd get a lesser axe to start with. A standard sandvik or somesuch will do a good job.

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I work as a gardener so we fell trees sometimes. The old boy i work with say's thee best way to fell a big tree is to saw it then chop it from the other side.

I don't know why though. I don't need to fell trees with my axe as we have a cheap axe we use but i thought it'd be nice to use my own axe but if that isn't possible it doesn't matter the work axe works fine.

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
For my bushcraft i wan't it for splitting logs and for chopping firewood. If i can't get one that'll fell big trees thats fine i'll just use the work axe for work i don't need to fell anything that big in my bushcraft.

I'm okay with sharpening an axe as my boss taught me . Iv had loads of practice using the work axe.

If i can spli logs with it and chop medium size firewood thats good for me. A hatchet will probably be fine if i use wedges for splitting.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
If i was to fell a tree that size i would want a chinsaw and some bloody good training first.
anyway the GB SFA is usually more than enough for UK bushcraft.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I work as a gardener so we fell trees sometimes. The old boy i work with say's thee best way to fell a big tree is to saw it then chop it from the other side.

Your going to squash yourself doing it that way round mate. You chop first, on the side of the trunk you want the tree to fall. Then saw just above the mid point of the undercut ( chopped out bit) on the opposite side. The undercut will act as a hinge to allow the tree to fall away from you.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Why for all things logical would you attempt to fell a 2' thick tree with an axe, use a saw...for crying out loud then get your chopper out for a bit of splitting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE