Thin buffalo top - anything from other brands too?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've had an S6 for over a year used in colder months and I've used quality windshirts based on pertex over thin layers in spring to autumn. I've had a thought that a pertex jacket or similar with a thinner insulation lining like I think active life and teclite from buffalo might be good, especially in conditions like this evening where it's intermittently wet and blustery but not at all cold.

Which buffalo top is best for such a use? Teclite or active life?

Are there alternatives from other brands? Rab do the vapour rise which I've had a version for over a decade. It's warm and I used it over a base layer in winter when moving quickly and with a insulation layer for stops. Now I believe that do heavier and lighter versions but I have no idea how warm or what season they're good for. I think marmot did one, the driclime IIRC but I've never seen one nor have any clue how warm or what season it's good for.

So I'm hoping there's someone on here who's more clued up than me. Perhaps it's not even a good idea? Perhaps a thin fleece and a wind shirt is better option.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I use a Buffalo Belay at night and or special 6 if cold. If the weather is ok just a buffalo windshirt over any thermal. These are my 3 main coats / tops these days.

I just mix and match between these 3 day or night. The windshirt is good for warm walks and can be added to any of the other 2 for extra warmth or like I said above on its own with a thermal or anything at night. Got the windshirt in a bigger size to do this, which is also handy for cooling during the day.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've seen marmot do the driclime still but it's only pertex type of fabric on the forearms such seems a bad design. It actually is considered the first modern softshell. There's a light weight vapour rise from Rab which is also n good next to skin and works like the thin buffalo tops. In fact there's two light versions and a heavier one IIRC.

I've got a vr from Rab and it used to be my go to winter top when I keep moving all day. Lunch stops had a Rab synthetic smock over the top. Not sure their vr can be cool enough. Looks like there's a hooded and a hoodless Rab vr or teclite from buffalo. Possibly activelite but that could be warmer and shorter like the mountain shirt. Too short in my size.

Monspoonmaker

Mar 15, 2014
Silures
I've seen marmot do the driclime still but it's only pertex type of fabric on the forearms such seems a bad design. It actually is considered the first modern softshell. There's a light weight vapour rise from Rab which is also n good next to skin and works like the thin buffalo tops. In fact there's two light versions and a heavier one IIRC.

I've got a vr from Rab and it used to be my go to winter top when I keep moving all day. Lunch stops had a Rab synthetic smock over the top. Not sure their vr can be cool enough. Looks like there's a hooded and a hoodless Rab vr or teclite from buffalo. Possibly activelite but that could be warmer and shorter like the mountain shirt. Too short in my size.

Monspoonmaker

Mar 15, 2014
Silures
I've had the marmot driclime and montane extreme smock for some years. Don't discount the driclime because of the sleeves. It is incredibly warm for such a light and thin garment. Ideal if you are on the move as it wicks really well. I use it three seasons with the montane only used in deep winter.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm not really looking for a warm top just one that's good enough for miller weather that might be wet or windy but warm with it. Recently on our evening dog walks I've used a plain pertex windshirt (Montane one with the hood, the litespeed I think) over a plain t-shirt. The rain came in so it felt a bit cold and clammy.

I used to have a paramo shirt, the explorer pullover shirt each was their first fleece there did in the early days. It wasn't quite the pump layer fleece they sell now but it was usable as either a base layer or second layer fleece. Under a buffalo windshirt it easily coped with a summer rainy day. I'm kind of looking for that in one layer but not quite that warm. There might not be anything and the teclite might be warmer than I need but it looks a potential.

Anyone know how warm they feel among ether driclime Vs buffalo teclite Vs buffalo activelite Vs the lighter weight vapour rise from Rab? I doubt anyone would own all of them but perhaps someone has tried them or a few people have tried a few of them and between you I could guess the warmth of those options.

Anyway i appreciate the comments made because I only know the warmth of the summer weight vapour rise jacket from over ten years ago and the special 6 / other standard buffalo dp tops

Reactions: Raw01

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Have you ever considered the PCS Thermal Smock? Great piece of kit, ideal for when it's just too mild for a Buffalo, and also pretty shower proof too.

The only downside is that it's issue kit and a people generally don't like wearing issue kit, but for dog walks and such like around the local woods, I find it ideal for this time of the year.

I picked mine up brand new from ebay last year for £25, but it looks like the prices have risen slightly since then.

d17be39b221168b367a272df6e913dd4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Van-Wild

Hodge

Nomad
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
I have an early version of the Arktis swat shirt for warmer weather. The newer versions feature reinforced panels. The shirt which goes over the head and has no hood is a lot lighter than any of my buffalo tops.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Have you ever considered the PCS Thermal Smock? Great piece of kit, ideal for when it's just too mild for a Buffalo, and also pretty shower proof too.

The only downside is that it's issue kit and a people generally don't like wearing issue kit, but for dog walks and such like around the local woods, I find it ideal for this time of the year.

I picked mine up brand new from ebay last year for £25, but it looks like the prices have risen slightly since then.

I second this comment.

I have one, the first one was just a too snug, so I gave it to the local Cadet unit and brought myself a size Large. (I'm 5ft 5in tall and it fits me perfect).

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's just a fleece with a windresistant outer layer. Most fleece aren't was wicking as pertex type fabrics combined with a form of pile. I am don't think it'll work as well. I'd be better off with two layered options like a microfleece and a windshirt like I already have. It's not just sales blurb the high wicking aspect of the pile and pertex tops but reality.

Reading up on it, designed as a wind resistant layer for periods of inactivity, it doesn't really suit the activity part of what I'm looking for. Unless I'm mistaken.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Try Lowe maintenance of Settle, on Ebay for their para material smocks, very light windproof, basic no frills which is just the way
aha aha
I like it
aha aha

Reactions: Winnet

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol

I've been considering one of these myself.
I can't afford a Buffalo right now, it's on my shopping list though.
I like the fact that the pcs smock has side zips for venting too.
I've got an army issue softie jacket, which is warm, but v bulky. When static it's great, if anything a little too warm this time of year. But unless it's freezing it's too much when moving.
I know warmth is quite subjective, but how do you rate the PCS smock for warmth overall?

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I've got an Arktis stowaway shirt, this over a fleece if perfect. Or just over a baselayer if active.
Handy, thanks.
I've looked at the Swat shirt from Arktis as well, they do great kit. The stowaway could be a handy addition to my kit without adding any weight, thanks.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
How about a pendleton shirt or something similar as a base layer. I know wool is itchy for some so you can go for a merino layer instead.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I've been considering one of these myself.
I can't afford a Buffalo right now, it's on my shopping list though.
I like the fact that the pcs smock has side zips for venting too.
I've got an army issue softie jacket, which is warm, but v bulky. When static it's great, if anything a little too warm this time of year. But unless it's freezing it's too much when moving.
I know warmth is quite subjective, but how do you rate the PCS smock for warmth overall?
It's not too bad for warmth. I wouldn't rely on it as an outer layer in the middle of winter or anything, but it's ideal as a mid layer or as a windproof outer when you stop for a break when out walking. I'm a hillwalker, so it lives in my bag for that reason, throwing on when stopping for a quick brew.
Lightweight and certainly good value for money.

Cheers,

Allan

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I find my PCS wind shirt very good at work. thinner but not as warm as my buffalo. Arktis shirt is good as well as a windshirt. I also have a few excellent two dog creations which are also great for windshirt and showerproof tops (unfortunately he does not make them anymore though)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Have a look at the Arcteryx Atom range. I have an SL and and LT ... (there's also the very warm AR). Not sure if the Atom exactly meets your specs, but I wear them lots and there are many many many reviews on the You Tube.

If weight isn't your absolutely number one priority, the Paramo Halcon (or the Helki or Velez) might be worth trying. The pump liner makes them warmish. Easy to vent. Easy to move in. Wind and waterproof.

Neither of these fall under into the cheap and cheerful category, though

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE