Thieving magpies :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just made a pot of tea, and as I waited for it to mask, I saw a magpie looking suspicious as it sleekitly footered around near the pond.
Then down came another, and they had a wee conversation, and poked around among the shells and miniature iris' beside at the pond slabs.
Then, bold as brass, magpie1 picks up one of the small glow in the dark pebbles, chuckles, and flies off with it :eek:

Now I had wondered why I didn't seem to have as many of them as I used to have beside the pond :confused: ......and somewhere I suspect there's now a magpies nest that glows in the dark :rolleyes:

atb,
Mary

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
:lmao: Nice one....should be easy to find :D

And slot them while on the nest in the dark. (Well if that wasn't illegal that is).

I think there's a type of weaver bird in India that catches live firefly's and stick them in there nest as a form of illumination.

P

Passer

Just goes to show. Even the bright magpie, can succumb to "Fools gold":)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Don't be so suspicious Mary. Baby magpie just needs a night-light or she can't sleep properly. These loving magpie parents are just looking after her.

:lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Baby magpies are busy craiking under the bird feeders, and they're as big as mum and dad and the aunts and uncles :rolleyes:

It chuckled as it theft the pebble, with that kind of hahaha sound as though it knew it was up to no damned good :rolleyes:

The corvids are accomplished tealeafs ....clever though :) I heard of a nest that a farmer tried to shoot down with a shotgun and it had absolutely no effect, so he tried again; and again no effect. Turned out that the parents when building the nest had taken the 'mud' from a site of recently poured concrete :rolleyes: all it needed was some rebar and they'd never have shifted it :)

I'll be up one night when I can't sleep and take a wander along the burn path, see if I can spy the nest glowing like something eldrich :D

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE