They don't understand!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
I did that once or twice and had great fun, granted I got to know them over a few years and some of their family and friends. Not that it's a habbit of mine. I didn't take an axe but my dad did insist on coming seeing me off and meeting them.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
....."A knife? you own rifles too? why would anyone in this day and age need knives or guns? You must be some kind of psychopathic maladjusted moron that will go on a killing spree one of these days."
Well what the hell can you say to that!?

You stare straight into the other persons eyes, and show all your teeth, and if possible move just a little too close to them so they actually feel slightly physically threatened...

Heres an example...
The-Shining-Here-comes-Johnny.jpg

You then say you havent shot at anybody for days, look a bit crestfallen, then brighten up as you ask them what they are doing later, then just walk away with the smile, or sigh if they come up with a reason not to be near you.

Some people have been walking around me like they are on eggshells for years lol.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Attitude.

Its really important.

Like with dogs.

Mine used to put their noses in my pockets without taking their front feet off the floor.

People would grab their children to protect them from my dogs as they padded along silently at heel.

I discovered that

"Its OK!, theyve been fed!"

Works.

Usual response is "Oh thats ok then." and the kids are allowed to pet the dogs.

Its ridiculous as the dogs dont attack people through hunger, but the attitude sort of carries it.

Same with most things.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Those are Small Dogs, No Idea.

A real dog is the sort that people say `Look at the pony with the funny feet` to.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Wonderful thread! :lmao:

I had a big piece of moose antler shipped to the office once, for a knife handle. My colleagues know my hobbies and I have shown them some leaterwork and knives (on PICTURES ofcourse). When I showed them pics of the knife afterwards they were impressed, so not too bad!

I also had a hammock shipped to the office. Two colleaguse never understood why I lie in a hammock. I strung the TTTM up between 2 warehouse posts and let them try it. One is overweight and has a bad hip, the other had a hernia and now has some carbon and steel parts in his spine. Both utterly loved it!

Also works to make fun of it yourself. I had to spin by the office to pick up yet another parcel, on my way to a weekend trip. So all in OD I walks into the office, saying "It's me, don't be scared, I know you can't see me cause I'm in camouflage and all!' :p

Just never, NEVER say to your friends you ordered a new knife as a backup-knife. The word backup haunts me when my friends are over. Dinner, alls spoons in the dishwasher: "oi, got a backup-spoon fo me?" And that one example of many.... :rolleyes:

For kit, I have the shed....and a second shed....and a girlfriend who loves to be outdoors too and loves anything Fjallraven, yeey!:D

Like this one though:
the list goes on....BUT, the less people that DO understand, the quieter the woods are...and thats got to be a good thing!!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I've been giving this some thought today and here go's....

I cant remeber the first, or even last time i grinned to myself for an hour because i had lit something with a lighter. But the first time i used a ferro rod, flint and steel or produced a coal from a bowdrill, well... I'll never forget.

I cant remeber the first, or even last time i grinned at myself for making a cup of tea. But on a cold day a few weeks ago, I simply collected pine needles and did nothing more than boil water, well...

I cant remeber the first, or even the last time i tried a mushroom and thought nothing off it. But, sitting around a campfire with good friends trying slippery jacks and amethyst deceiver for the first time, well...

And, I cant remember the first or last time i felt so relaxed lying in bed, as i did in a hammock by a small babbling brook with not a single human sound around me.

I think anyone given half the chance to sample a small section of the lifestyle we relate to as 'bushcraft' would seriously change their conception of what living, and life is about... But as already said, the less people know, the more woods for those that choose to enjoy.

If people cant see those woods for the tree's... So be it :)

They may well laugh, but my grin will continue long after.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I like them and us ,
if they didn't have football ,strictdlycum xfactor or shopping malls the woods, hills, lochs would be full of them!!

Craig...........:)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Yup had that over the years.

A knife? you own rifles too? why would anyone in this day and age need knives or guns? You must be some kind of psychopathic maladjusted moron that will go on a killing spree one of these days."
Well what the hell can you say to that!?

Personally I would say "yep, and you are top of the list". But my cheeky grin gets me out of all sorts of trouble.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
I've been giving this some thought today and here go's....

I cant remeber the first, or even last time i grinned to myself for an hour because i had lit something with a lighter. But the first time i used a ferro rod, flint and steel or produced a coal from a bowdrill, well... I'll never forget.

I cant remeber the first, or even last time i grinned at myself for making a cup of tea. But on a cold day a few weeks ago, I simply collected pine needles and did nothing more than boil water, well...

I cant remeber the first, or even the last time i tried a mushroom and thought nothing off it. But, sitting around a campfire with good friends trying slippery jacks and amethyst deceiver for the first time, well...

And, I cant remember the first or last time i felt so relaxed lying in bed, as i did in a hammock by a small babbling brook with not a single human sound around me.

I think anyone given half the chance to sample a small section of the lifestyle we relate to as 'bushcraft' would seriously change their conception of what living, and life is about... But as already said, the less people know, the more woods for those that choose to enjoy.

If people cant see those woods for the tree's... So be it :)

They may well laugh, but my grin will continue long after.

Good post and I too have had that warm glow many times!;) I though have a foot in both camps - apart from my love of hunting, fishing, camping and canoeing, I support my local football team. Just as you had that smile, I bet it never matched the one I wore standing at Wembley alongside my sons and seeing our local team get to the Premiership for the first time in the clubs history!:)

I also enjoy growing my own produce and get just as much banter off folks who can't understand why I don't just buy a bag of veg from Asda! Until they taste mine that is but they still rib me about feeding my toms sheeps**t!:)

I just try to give back as good as I take, I had a serious hard time off the missus when I got my third rifle but when she came home a couple of weeks later with a £300 handbag I asked her just how many handbags she needs. She saw my point and now doesn't bat an eyelid when I add to the collection!!!;)

Grayfox

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
North West Lancashire
In my experience people are roughly divided into two basic groups. The doers and the watchers. I am no football fan. Can't even remember what shape the ball is but I can understand people who are passionate about PLAYING the game I just cannot get my head round being passionate about being a passive, observer. We got rid of our TV years ago. Occasionally I mention this fact to the kids in one of the schools I work in. They are quite simply speechless at the thought of someone not having a TV and the best part of it is the first question they ask...

......but what do you do?

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I got into a conversation with a group of Fellowship Scouts last night and was a little shocked by their incredulity as to why I would want to be able to start a fire with a crampball fungus when I could carry a lighter. If there was anyone I thought would understand, it would be them.

I pointed out to them that why learn to map read if you can use a GPS. I think my point started to sink in, but there was a fair bit of New Year spirit following by that point.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
In my experience people are roughly divided into two basic groups. The doers and the watchers. I am no football fan. Can't even remember what shape the ball is but I can understand people who are passionate about PLAYING the game I just cannot get my head round being passionate about being a passive, observer. We got rid of our TV years ago. Occasionally I mention this fact to the kids in one of the schools I work in. They are quite simply speechless at the thought of someone not having a TV and the best part of it is the first question they ask...

......but what do you do?

Yet you have a computer? so why are you above us for not possessing a television? I can get TV programs, Live Sport etc. or TV replays on my computer?

What is hard to understand about folks enjoying something you don't?

Most kids today play games to the exclusion of educational TV anyway. Why not try to appreciate that, and just accept that if you can do anything to nibble away at that fact that you have gone some small way into giving them an insight into what is available? And then let them make their own minds up???:):):)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Much as I have a great distaste for computer games, I believe its light years ahead of watching TV.

Other people dont go into this self analysis stuff

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
I got into a conversation with a group of Fellowship Scouts last night and was a little shocked by their incredulity as to why I would want to be able to start a fire with a crampball fungus when I could carry a lighter. If there was anyone I thought would understand, it would be them.

I pointed out to them that why learn to map read if you can use a GPS. I think my point started to sink in, but there was a fair bit of New Year spirit following by that point.

To be honest buddy, I can't appreciate why you would want to start a fire with a cramp ball when you could carry a lighter either??? I can also see why that if they have a GPS, It appears pointless to them to be able to use a map and compass.

Perhaps giving them an insight into the need to access knowledge that just might save their lives if they only possessed both of those available skills that they might not be so confused???:):)

Last edited:

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Yet you have a computer? so why are you above us for not possessing a television? I can get TV programs, Live Sport etc. or TV replays on my computer?

What is hard to understand about folks enjoying something you don't?

Most kids today play games to the exclusion of educational TV anyway. Why not try to appreciate that, and just accept that if you can do anything to nibble away at that fact that you have gone some small way into giving them an insight into what is available? And then let them make their own minds up???:):):)

To be honest buddy, I can't appreciate why you would want to start a fire with a cramp ball when you could carry a lighter either??? I can also see why that if they have a GPS, It appears pointless to them to be able to use a map and compass.

Perhaps giving them an insight into the need to access knowledge that just might save their lives if they only possessed both of those available skills that they might not be so confused???:):)
:nofeed:
-------

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE