Thesis ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bombadil

Hi everybody

I am at the moment doing an MSc in environmental forestry at the university of Wales, Bangor, and I need to start thinking about my thesis. Next year will involve three months of research in some foreign land, but the trouble is, my ideas are as yet non too specific. I have a strong desire to go to Canada or Alaska, and look at sustainable forestry, there, but I need a specific idea on which to base my research. Any ideas from any of you learned people would be appreciated.
Cheers

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Aaaaah thesis time. I taught common shore crabs to press coloured levers for a squid paste reward :rolleyes: .

How about the environmental impact of snowmobile use with inadequate snowcover in forested areas?

......... the probelm that I encountered was getting a subject to cover (realistically enough data to collect) in 3/4 months.

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
Do you get wetter in woodlands in the rain than you do outside of them? You know that "bigger raindrops, but less frequent" thing versus "lots of small rain drops"! It's probably not the kind of thing your looking for - but its something I'd like to have answered!!!

Could you look at the use of forestry on slope stabilisation - although that's probably a popular one I guess?

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
How about the use of sustainably managed forests for power generation in remote environments? Could investigate the suitability of different tree species, whether native species could be managed effectively to provide a reliable year round energy supply, or how a non-native very fast growing species would affect the local environment?

HTH
Nick

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
I know it is not Canada but always looking for researchers at Hubbard Brook, they can give list of things to research, provide lots of resources.

or

In Canada there is interest in shelterwoods and stips felling especially with regards topex values on high planatations

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
This really isn't my area, so this might be really wide of the mark and only serve to expose my ignorance on the subject :eek: , but it's always struck me that there seems to be a real lack of biodiversity in commercially managed forestry of non-native species in this country, i wonder if this is just a necessary fact or if there is room for improvement. I know there will always be a trade off, and that it is a complex equation, but is it because of undue priority being given to commercial rather than environmental considerations?
It's probably far too broad, but what about looking at the various interrelationships and trade-offs between biodiversity and commercial considerations in forest management, with, perhaps, a comparative study of policies and their impact on local habitat between u.k and Canada?
Another thing i might like to look at would be the impact of comercially managed forestry of non native species in the uk on habitats and biodiversity, and then do a comparative study of biodiversity and habitats in forest of the same species of trees, where they naturally occur.
Sorry if these suggestions are lame, but as i say, i haven't got a clue what i'm on about :D

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
how about researching an areaof old growth forest logged about 30 or so years ago and its recovery (or not).Is intervention required?necessary?whats the costs.

Now ,time to stop procastinating,and get on with my essay.

Right after I check out the gallery.And perhaps B.B.

Best put the kettle on first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE