Post graduation trip. Ideas wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Hey all (I had some account issues last night so actually created a new account to post this thread, but it's yet to be approved, so I'll create it again now I've worked out what was up with my account).

After 3 years at uni, with barely a day off (I've had 3 days off since December 28th!), I'm looking at taking my final exam on the 17th of this month, and then looking at getting in the car and taking some time to myself before the job hunt begins (If I had my way It would be 6 months of trips so the uni doesn't get the satisfaction of being able to use my graduate job for their league tables :p)

Anyway, I've not really done any outdoors stuff whatsoever for various reasons, despite having a room full of kit, so am a little lost as to the best places to head.

My main desire, is to get out to the coast in the car (I'm based in the south-west, so cornwall/devon is ideal, but happy to explore elsewhere). Ideally I'd like to be able to ramble about and do some foraging for various edibles, such as seaweeds, shellfish, maybe a spot of fishing off the rocks etc, and then either wander in-land a bit or stay near the coast and sneakily (but responsibly) pitch a tent or tarp with bivvy somewhere where I could light a small fire to cook on (most likely just with a honey stove and a billy can etc, nothing fancy or damaging to the environment).

Alternatively I'm thinking possibly somewhere along the west coast of Wales, St Davids, Pembrokeshire etc. Another thought is the Lake District for some walks and lake fishing (might as well give Scotland my first visit as well if I'm already that far north).

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this kind of thing, and knows of any good remote and secluded locations where foraging and camping is viable. I'd rather avoid tourists and such if possible, and just enjoy peace and quiet, and nature (3 years in London, it would be nice to be alone!). The last thing I'd want is to find myself sleeping in a farmers field etc, doesn't strike me as very exciting!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

vb
Hugh

Last edited:

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Very jealous, I'm still in first year and dont get to go out nearly as much as I'd like.

Not sure about down south but I strongly recommend Scotland. I'm limited to where I can travel from Edinburgh by train and still manage to find plenty of quiet tucked away places. With a car you could really find some hidden away spots.

The west coast of Scotland is pretty great for costal foraging too, especially around Fort William area I've heard. If you're staying at sea lochs too you can fish without worrying about licences too. And since we have the Outdoor Access Code up here you can wild camp anywhere you like that is out of sight of a road or house (except fenced off farmland) which means no grumpy landowners to worry about.

For a more wooded wilderness, northern Perthshire is really good, as is some of the lowlands in the cairngorms. Those are my regular playgrounds.

When are you planning on doing the trip? Unfortunately I'm not sure there is anywhere in this country that wont be touristy in the summer, but if you go in the autumn or outside of school holidays it will be much quieter. That's why I love camping in the winter!

Good luck with your exams!

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
As above, West coast of Scotland, ticks all your boxes and probably one of the best locations in the world. A night or two in a remote bothy could be another great part of the experience.

What ever you decide, have a great time and stay safe.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Very jealous, I'm still in first year and dont get to go out nearly as much as I'd like.

Not sure about down south but I strongly recommend Scotland. I'm limited to where I can travel from Edinburgh by train and still manage to find plenty of quiet tucked away places. With a car you could really find some hidden away spots.

The west coast of Scotland is pretty great for costal foraging too, especially around Fort William area I've heard. If you're staying at sea lochs too you can fish without worrying about licences too. And since we have the Outdoor Access Code up here you can wild camp anywhere you like that is out of sight of a road or house (except fenced off farmland) which means no grumpy landowners to worry about.

For a more wooded wilderness, northern Perthshire is really good, as is some of the lowlands in the cairngorms. Those are my regular playgrounds.

When are you planning on doing the trip? Unfortunately I'm not sure there is anywhere in this country that wont be touristy in the summer, but if you go in the autumn or outside of school holidays it will be much quieter. That's why I love camping in the winter!

Good luck with your exams!

Do what you can while you get the chance! 1st year is a doddle, say goodbye to the idea of dossing off come second and third year. If you plan well, you'll be able to take weekends off for your hobbies and persuits, but alas for me, as a mature student in a long term relatinoship, trying to coordinate days off just didn't work, so just ended up working 7 days a week every week :/

Thankyou very much for the suggestion though. I've given it a very brief look see, and it sounds like it might be just the ticket. Thanks for rubbing theoutdoor access code in the face of a southener though :p definately a big appeal of visiting Scotland and not having to worry abought being turfed off as I have in the past. Fort Williams sounds like a great area, and funds permitting, I might be able to get over to Skye or Harris (parents visited last year and the photos made me rather envious!). Best look at buying myself a Scottish top-hat though.

I'm thinking of June, possibly July, but I'm sure I'll be able to find somewhere away from the rabble. Given the 10 hours drive though, I'm thinking that I might spend a few nights at lake Windemere (free fishing!) to break up the drive. Might need to sign up to the gym in my flat complex though, I've been sat infront of a computer for three years, I doubt I'd be able to get a pack on my back and stand up :D

It'll also be a useful place to explore as I'm at university for nothing more than the knowledge. I've no interest in a graduate job, but intend to use my house deposit money to buy up some land that will allow my partner and I to start a hobby farm and give the whole homesteading thing a go. Given the prices in the UK though, my budget pretty much means up north, or deepest darkest Wales.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If I may resurrect this nice thread:

Foraging and fishing on the seaside can bring you lots of tasty food. Mussels, limpets, small-ish fish.
All nutritious and tasty. Fish have plenty of bones, but see that as calcium!

Sea weed is highly nutritious, but I only know the Japanese ones I get in the shops. Plenty of experts here though!

The only thing I would like to tell you - be careful with slippery cliffs and rocks, those little buggers living on them can rip you up pretty badly!

And the tide.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
If I may resurrect this nice thread:

Foraging and fishing on the seaside can bring you lots of tasty food. Mussels, limpets, small-ish fish.
All nutritious and tasty. Fish have plenty of bones, but see that as calcium!

Sea weed is highly nutritious, but I only know the Japanese ones I get in the shops. Plenty of experts here though!

The only thing I would like to tell you - be careful with slippery cliffs and rocks, those little buggers living on them can rip you up pretty badly!

And the tide.

Exactly :) I have all the food I need, but I really look forward to just find a bit of seafood. Can cook up a little wholegrain rice in stock with a few herbs and spices. If I take a smoker I could try some kedgeree. A bit of a step up from last summer which saw me sat on the rocks enjoying a lunch of raw limpet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE