There must be an angel.........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
With Christmas fast approaching I thought I'd make a "cattail doll" angel for the tree....

P1020052.jpg
[/IMG]

I used Reed Mace (Typha Latifolia) leaves to make the doll and Common Reed (Phragmites australis) seed heads for the wings.

Mors taught us how to make these in Canada earlier this year, so I'll describe and he'll demonstrate ;)

For best results, collect the Reed Mace leaves in autumn after they turn brown. The leaves from vegetative stalks work best, rather than those with a seed head on. If you collect them after rain they will be suppler and less likely to break. You can then dry them and store until you need them. Before use, re-hydrate them by soaking in water for a day.

Doll1.jpg
[/IMG]

Starting with a couple of leaves, roll them up into a ball to form the head.

Doll2.jpg
[/IMG]

Now cover the head with leaves, overlapping them so that the ball is completely covered. Now twist the head and then whip with a leaf from the centre of the stalk to maintain the head shape.

Doll3.jpg
[/IMG]

The completed doll will be about 8x the size of the head in height. Using eight leaves (four laid in the opposite direction to the other to give an even thickness), start to make the first arm by twisting the bundle one third of the way along from one end (like making cordage).

Doll4.jpg
[/IMG]

Now repeat at the other end to form the second arm. 7-8 twists will normally give arms of the correct length. Push the arms up into the leaves wrapped around the head, until they reach up to the head. Then wrap leaves around the arms and body to hold them in place.

Doll5.jpg
[/IMG]

(As you can see in the picture above, you can also add legs and feet, but for a basic doll I choose not to). Fold leaves over each shoulder until the desired shape is achieved, and then whip a leaf around the waist to hold in place.

Doll8.jpg
[/IMG]

To add hair, braid leave and stitch into place. I used the same method to make the halo on the angel. The rest is up to your imagination.

Doll9.jpg
[/IMG]

Here’s one of Mors’ that I brought back from Canada as a competition prize for BCUK.

cattaildoll2.jpg
[/IMG]

Reactions: Toddy

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
What a craftsman Mors is. Fenlander, could you please explain how you would go about making the legs and feet?

Thanks in advance.

Fire Starter said:
What a craftsman Mors is. Fenlander, could you please explain how you would go about making the legs and feet?

Thanks in advance.

Ok Fire Starter, here you are....

Take three to for leaves from the middle of the stalk and fold them in half. Bend the bundle about an inch up from the fold to make the foot.

Cattaildollfoot-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Split a heart leaf and then bind the foot and leg to maintain its position.

Cattaildollfoot-3.jpg
[/IMG]

Wrap the loose end of the bundle over the dolls shoulder, prior to covering the doll with leaves and whipping it at the waist.

The instructions by Mors for making these dolls can be found in this book;
Primitive Technology A Book Of Earth Skills ISBN 0-87905-911-7

or an instruction booklet is available to buy (along with the dolls themselves) here; http://www.karamat.com/books.html#Pocket1

http://www.karamat.com/miscell.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE