There is currently no Wikipedia entry for Bushcraft.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Wikipedia is a superb and popular internet resource that you may have stumbled across in your browsings and for those that haven't, then it is enough to say that it is a unique site in that it's a complete encyclopedia created entirely by the people who use it. The open and anarchistic (in the political sense) nature of the site means that anyone can edit it, and you don't even have to register!

Now, while doing my regular browsing of the Wikipedia (knowledge is power, you know!) I noticed that there is no article about Bushcraft... so I thought "Well who could be more qualified to write one than the folks at BCUK?!"

So, I thought it would be a good ecersise to, as a community, collaboratively create an article on Wikipedia about what Bushcraft is. We could plan and draft it in this thread and post it up when we're all happy with it.

As well as providing information about Bushcraft to millions of Wikipedia users worldwide, I figured that this would be a good way of clearing up amongst ourselves what we think Bushcraft actually is.

If anybody's interested then I think this could be fun!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
My vote goes to that rapidboy does it. He came up with an excellent description of bushcraft in some competition a few weeks back. :wave:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Rhapsody said:
So, I thought it would be a good ecersise to, as a community, collaboratively create an article on Wikipedia about what Bushcraft is. We could plan and draft it in this thread and post it up when we're all happy with it.

As well as providing information about Bushcraft to millions of Wikipedia users worldwide, I figured that this would be a good way of clearing up amongst ourselves what we think Bushcraft actually is.

If anybody's interested then I think this could be fun!

Excellent idea Rhapsody, although it's probably a can of worms! There does need to be something put together though. It might be easier to have a look at older threads where the nature of bushcraft has been debated.

one of the great things about bushcraft is it's ability to mean different things to different people, it's an inclusive life style, or a fun pastime. Everyone puts their own limits on progression and depth of involvement. As a purist you might see it as a complete existence within a natural environment, being at one with nature and working with it rather than against it. On the other hand, knowing how to forage a few berries and appreciate bugs is fulfilment for others, it’s all under the same big umbrella and we're all on the same journey, just at different point on the route :biggthump

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Fantastic. The last few threads on this, nobody has really wanted the responsibility of starting such a large subject off, but now there is a stub everybody can chip in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE