there is a Survival School in the Next Street Over...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I like the "throw away" disclaimer! :lmao:

rather disturbingly no mention of any:
Teaching experience,
Training,
Qualification,
Safety,
Insurance,
and no evidence of previous courses,

:eek:
..hmmm...erm.... I suggest a longish barge pole...

Yep not the best web site :)

your post got me thinking..

What do you legally have to have in place to operate a 'survival school' for folk over the age of 18 in the UK if you are running the course on private land.

Do you need to be qualified? If so what Qualification for example..

I'm interested... NZ is going through a 'shake up' of the Outdoor Education industry currently hence the interest..

Cheers

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I wonder what Ray Mears credentials would have looked like on paper when he first set up Woodlore all those years back?

Just saying. :)

I like the "throw away" disclaimer! :lmao:

rather disturbingly no mention of any:
Teaching experience,
Training,
Qualification,
Safety,
Insurance,
and no evidence of previous courses,

:eek:
..hmmm...erm.... I suggest a longish barge pole...

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
Several years' experience training the British Army, for a start.

wrong. he set up first and was invited to contribute. the forces draw in guest instructors to see if they can add anything to their own knowledge. the only units that are likely to source a totally civvy teacher are cadets. if anything he learnt from the army but there's no way he passed an MOI nor would he be allowed to run a course unless he had passed one.

there has never been a requirement for anything regards becoming a survival or bushcraft instructor which is why in the 80's you had hundreds of paratroopers setting up survival schools to cash in on lofty's book and recently the dearth of dire bushcraft schools. as long as you have a basic first aid certificate, first aid kit and public liability insurance then anyone can do it.

doesnt mean they will be any good but my first course at the squeaky age of 14 back in 1983 was with the ninpara school of survival based in whitby and the course was on the north yorks moors/coast. the bloke was missing a slate or two from his roof but it was a good course for the money even if when asked if we wanted a sweet treat it was a fun size mars bar between 15 of us :)

I like the garden services idea, I wonder if they have knife axe and saw safety while sorting a suburban hedgerow out. cant fault the guy for that though as survival or bushcraft doesnt pay unless you charge woodlore prices for courses and flog the students your special knife and reindeer hide combo kit. I used to fit kitchens with my oppo in winter and summer we would break off when we got bookings to do canoeing/climbing/rafting/orienteering/survival or other outdoor activity bookings we could blag off the council :)

I do have an issue with the weekend hobby bushcraft instructors though as they dont plan the courses properly but base them on kipping in a hammock, bow drill, nettle string and a plant walk. a survival course should at least leave you with a physical memory of what to do when you mess up in the same way a fire drill or first aid training does.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
anyway £120 for weekend! thats pretty good if he has the knowledge that you can question to get what you want from it. some bushcraft fella at westonbirt wood show wanted £250.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE