Theoretical and academic (for now) question about wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Longer poles certainly look more majestic, but our experience has shown that by reducing pole length we also reduced rain running down the poles. Having long poles probably had more to do with status than any practical use, the Indians used to drag the poles when on the move and this would constantly wear away the tips of the poles, for plains Indians, lodge poles were an expensive outlay. On the plains the rain usually came in sideways blown by the wind, turning the smoke flaps or closing them would keep out most of the rain, what rain did come in fell into the fire pit or ran down the poles, here in France and many parts of Europe the rain comes down like stair rods straight into the centre hole, that is why having shorter poles with a rain cap is essential, our poles only stick out by about 2ft-3ft. Cutting poles to exactly the same length ensures you get a natural slope for rain to run off.

You raise some valid and logical points. And to be honest I don't know just how big a tipi the OP wants to make. But size indeed likely had something to do with the traditional native ones. By that i mean size (circumference/diameter at the base) in ratio to height. While a shorter one would provide the advantages you describe, we have to remember that for the Native Americans, they weren't "camping." It was their home. They actually lived in it with their families. Their tipis had a diameter at the base much larger than any modern camping tipi (likely around 20-30 feet in diameter) Can you imagine how little headroom they'd have (except in the center) if the tipis had been shorter?

Granted, these likely aren't concerns the OP need worry about.

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
I think 14ft-16ft was average, the communal lodge would have been larger, our tipis are 16ft, the poles are 18ft long with the tripod poles and door pole being 4"-5" wide, the rest of the poles are around 3" wide, the Indians used a cap which looked like an upturned coracle held down by four pieces of cord, the other advantage of a liner is that it deflects the heat.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Unsurprisingly once again Robin Wood is right on the man to ask, I went walkaboot last Friday and today in an old railway cutting on the Speyside Way I found some very nice Ash that would be just the job for what you want Hile Troy and also surprisingly to me " but not to RW" some very straight Sycamore.
Ash

Sycamore

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Santaman, your shown is Platanus occidentalis I think. But there's so many in the family with various quirks that it can be hard to tell without a ID guide and time.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman, your shown is Platanus occidentalis I think. But there's so many in the family with various quirks that it can be hard to tell without a ID guide and time.

Yep. That's it. Do you know the taxonomy on yours?

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Our only native one is Acer campestre also known as Field or English maple. Though the majority are introduced species. Most folk just group Acers and Platanus together under sycamores or maple.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Looks like London Plane.

Not surprisingly. Apparently the London Plane is believed to be a hybrid of the American Sycamore:

Platanus occidentalis, also known as American sycamore, American planetree, Occidental plane, and Buttonwood, is one of the species of Platanus native to North America. It is usually called sycamore in North America, a name which can refer to other types of tree in other parts of the world.

Platanus × acerifolia, London plane, London planetree, or hybrid plane, is a tree in the genus Platanus. It is usually thought to be a hybrid of Platanus orientalis (oriental plane) and Platanus occidentalis (American sycamore). Some authorities think that it may be a cultivar of P. orientalis

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Our only native one is Acer campestre also known as Field or English maple. Though the majority are introduced species. Most folk just group Acers and Platanus together under sycamores or maple.

Hi Goatboy
You got me wondering about which Sycamore this one was, the Native Acer campestre or an Introduced Species , fortunately I took a photo of the leaves which may help an ID, any idea?

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Goatboy
You got me wondering about which Sycamore this one was, the Native Acer campestre or an Introduced Species , fortunately I took a photo of the leaves which may help an ID, any idea?

Hi Pict,

Definitely not the native Acer campestre, leaves are wrong shape. From the leaf shape I'd say either a Norway maple Acer platanoides or a Sycamore maple Acer pseudoplatanus though to be sure size of leaves, tree form and bark are always good. :) Harvestman may be able to pin it down for you, he's top drawer on ID's and I'm pretty rusty.
Cheers,
Goatboy.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Trees don't have enough legs for me to be classed as an expert, but the tree in that last picture is sycamore, Acer pseudoplatanus. Norway maple leaves are spikier.

Goatboy you obviously haven't noticed how many identification mistakes I've mad eon this forum, especially with trees. :rolleyes:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Trees don't have enough legs for me to be classed as an expert, but the tree in that last picture is sycamore, Acer pseudoplatanus. Norway maple leaves are spikier.

Goatboy you obviously haven't noticed how many identification mistakes I've mad eon this forum, especially with trees. :rolleyes:

I think Harvestmans right, though there can be differences tree to tree. Would have liked to see the fruit or flowers to be 100%. He's being pretty modest I think.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather

Oops sorry Harvestman Acer pseudoplatanus you beat me to it, get yourself a large dram.

Last edited:

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
Wow, some interesting ideas. First off, liners are indeed original and traditional, and have been used for a very long time. Nothing modern about them at all, even in 1917 they were authentic. Lodge pole pine grows in very thick stands, at least the good poles come from thick stands. They are small diameter, long and grown slowly so they are dense.

If it was me I'd make a yurt or get a bell tent, have you ever seen a vehicle loaded down under a load of teepee poles? Those things are hard to transport and totally unrealistic for this part of the world. I have a yurt, they aren't hard to make, and I made the cover too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE