The Wok

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Have bee meaning to post something about this for ages, and the whole 'Wok' thing has reminded me - has anyb ody ever tried any of the trad. Japanese bits of kit in the field? I'm thinking rice straw raincapes, bamboo bows, chopsticks etc.

I usually take a small bowl and chopsticks as my field eating kit these days - bowl doubles as a teacup for green tea. Origionally you'd keep your bowl and knife in your Kimono sleeve, and carry a bamboo bedroll containing the rest of your kit.

I also usually pack a set of Go to play round the fire (or, more usually, under the tarp in the rain) at night.

N

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Nyayo said:
Have bee meaning to post something about this for ages, and the whole 'Wok' thing has reminded me - has anyb ody ever tried any of the trad. Japanese bits of kit in the field? I'm thinking rice straw raincapes, bamboo bows, chopsticks etc.

N

Aye, chopsticks are easily fashioned in the field as well. Keep promising to carve myself a bowl, but you know how it is...

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I have used one of the cheap s/s bowls from Ikea which are very good for allsorts and can be used as a wok too. They only have a small flattened bottom, just enough to rest on a flat surface but spread the heat well. The polished interior makes cleaning easier (I never clean my 'proper' wok though as years of cokking patina definitely add to the flavour :) ). It can be suspended over a fire via three holes drilled around the rim and some small chain. Very useful for mixing flour etc for bannock. Nothing worse when mixing than a tiny bowl ;)

To get posh I picked up this purpose made trekking s/s wok with folding handle and copper bottom in Norway last year. Made in the Far East I'm sure but is thin gauge and lightweight, the folding handle clicks into place which is a good feature. The copper bottom and thin gauge metal means it heats rapidly and cooks well. It came with a useful sack. About £18.

bush-trailstove_wok_01.jpg

You can also use the wok for steaming and smoking if you have one of the little racks they usually come with or make it out of woven stems.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nyayo said:

I usually take a small bowl and chopsticks as my field eating kit these days - bowl doubles as a teacup for green tea. Origionally you'd keep your bowl and knife in your Kimono sleeve, and carry a bamboo bedroll containing the rest of your kit.

I also usually pack a set of Go to play round the fire (or, more usually, under the tarp in the rain) at night.

N

Don't know about straw raincapes but I use a bamboo bow for my drill. Very good and springy even when dried out which can't be said for som e other woods.

Chopsticks I either carry or make in the field and i bring a Chinese/Japanese spoon.

Green tea solves the problem of bringing milk or a powder creamer (yuk). Bamboo mats are great but usually not in the wetter parts of the forest

Have yet to seriously travel with a wok though.

Whats it like bushcrafting in a kimono :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This wok was one of the first bits of kit that i bought.

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/product-GSI-Outdoors-Alpine-Mini-Wok-22094.htm

They are pretty well made and hide in your pack easily.

Just a quick tip.

If you are using your wok either at home or in the field and your food sticks to the bottom add a little water rather than oil as the food only sticks because of the moisture being cooked out of the food.

If your food sticks it's because it ain't hot enough! It will turn loose as soon as it carmelizes which in a wok should be almost instanatenously.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I agree.
Woks are great. And a full sized wok is so light for the size.

The only problem with this thread is that it can't be found using the search engine because of the "3 letter rule" (just like axe and saw).

I know. I had to enter, "wok cooking"

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's almost dinner time here. This thread has put me in the mood for some Thai food and the nearest Thai resteraunt is 24 miles! "Curse you Perry the platypus"!

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
What a mental block!

Despite half a lifetime in Asia, enjoying Asian food and cooking in a wok in the kitchen, I have never thought about using it outside even though I often cook instant noodles and attempt curries in my billy.

Thanks to this thread I have had a great lunch today.

I wish I could invite you all for lunch to thank you for contributions. However here is the virtual lunch by way of thanks.

Mangrove crab in chilli, Sarawak black pepper, garlic and olive oil.

Crabscooking010.jpg

Now that looks GOOD! A wok is needed quickly me thinks

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I love stir-frying food but I've had a terrible time trying to cook with my wok at home :(

It's a flat-bottomed wok that my dad bought me from Chinatown in Manchester (Where I am originally from), I asked him to get a flat-bottomed one because here we have an electric solid-plate type cooker but before I seasoned it I didn't get all of the coating off so that burnt on and made everything stick! I spent ages cleaning the now burnt-on coating off and tried seasoning it again but I can only fry vegetables in it, whenever I try to cook chicken it burns and sticks straight away. I don't know what to do! It's got a bit of sentimental value because my dad got it me so I obviously haven't chucked it but I haven't really been able to use it. Any suggestions?

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I'm not sure whether this will help but a lot of traditional chinese recipes tell you to marinade your meat first, and include a teaspoon or so of cornflour in the marinade, along with soy sauce and whatever else you use to add flavour. The cornflour and liquids then coat the chicken and protect if from burning. The next stage is often to deep fry the meat for a few minutes or a minute and half and then put it aside to drain. That will get the bulk of the cooking done for your meat. Carefully pour away or spoon out the hot oil, keeping enough to do the stir frying of the veg, noodles whatever. You might be adding stock, or cooking sherry, or even just water to help this along. Then add the cooked meat for a minute or two at the end of cooking just before you add your final flavouring with sauces etc. Part of the versatility of the wok is that it allows to deep fry/stir fry or steam.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE