The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Bowlander, I can't make out your insect clearly, but I think it might be a snakefly. I'd like to see a better shot though, or at least an enlargement.

Working on the caterpillar mcniac.

Thanks. Ispot came up with snake fly but the head is in the normal place with the elaborate antennae. I think its a male mosquito but not sure of species.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
mcniac, I've just seen that you are in South America. No wonder I can't identify your caterpillar!

Lovely looking thing, but I've no idea what it is. :D

Ok, all my searches keep returning the answer Fox moth caterpillar, but I'm not yet convinced. Your specimen is too big and not hairy enough. This might take a while.

mcniac, I've just seen that you are in South America. No wonder I can't identify your caterpillar!

Lovely looking thing, but I've no idea what it is. :D

Sorry! I should have said that earlier :)
maybe it's time to study this kind of stuff myself

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Please keep posting your bugs, as they are great to see, but I have enough trouble with UK and European species without trying to do Argentinian ones as well. I have no reference material at all to use.

Still, someone other than me might know, and I certainly enjoy seeing the creatures that people post, even if I can't identify them.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
A couple of fairly recent ones
gyje7yzu.jpg

This long leggedy beastie was super fast...
esyquzaj.jpg

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Your spider looks to be the same as the one I posted earlier in the thread which Harvestman ID'd - a male Tegenaria saeva or Tegenaria gigantea (page 12ish)

The caterpillars look a lot like large whites.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
A few that have escaped my ID books' range...

I was up the fells the other day and kept seeing lots of these - usually on raised mossy clumps. The closest my Collins' can get is either a Garden Tiger or a White Ermine, but they don't seem to fit the type...

dsc07115v.jpg

dsc07141l.jpg

dsc07138v.jpg

This greeted me when visiting the outside loo the other day, I'm glad I don't live in Oz! I see these alot and my Spider ID book is still in storage - Tegenaria sp. ?
dsc06914f.jpg

This is a marble gall, yes? Is it an immature specimen? I've seen lots of dull brown ones but never one this red - my son really wants to find out what this is!
dsc06917l.jpg

And one last one, I'm thinking this is most probably a 3rd instar Juniper Sheildbug or a 5th instar Birch Sheildbug, but I'm not sure (Sorry, best quality shot I could get) To my knowledge there was no Juniper nearby, but there was Birch...
dsc06845as.jpg

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Thank you Huntsman. The Drinker :) brilliant, deffo a male - I wouldn't of guessed that sp. with the lack of spots in the photos.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
A battered something, certainly. Not convinced by Buff Ermine, but then I don't really know what it is. The markings sort of suggest a Noctuid moth, but that doesn't narrow it down much.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
A battered something, certainly. Not convinced by Buff Ermine, but then I don't really know what it is. The markings sort of suggest a Noctuid moth, but that doesn't narrow it down much.

I agree, probably not an Ermine - wrong coloured legs and no remenants of the spots, which one would expect to see even on a battered one.

Looking through my book, it could be so many! Probably too battered to get a positive ID

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I agree, probably not an Ermine - wrong coloured legs and no remenants of the spots, which one would expect to see even on a battered one.

Looking through my book, it could be so many! Probably too battered to get a positive ID

I'm glad you said that. I couldn't think of a way to word it without sounding like a cop-out, but that is exactly what I was thinking. :D

I noticed the legs are the wrong colour for Buff Ermine, but I didn't know if it was a reliable character or not.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
I found a a couple of old pictures

Some sort of Longhorn beetle - in Italy guarding my door key

IMG_8596.jpg

IMG_8598.jpg

In Kent a very nice duo

Both.jpg

Peacock & Painted lady I believe

Mike

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Right on the butterflies. The extremely handsome and chunky looking longhorn beetle looks like Morimus funereus, or a very close relative. A southern European species, according to my book.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE