The Wayland Kista ( Old Norse Chest.)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That is truly lovely and you should certainly be having a sense of achievement
So how do you feel about wood and your associated skills now?
Inspirational
Cheers
Gary Elson

I have to admit to being surprised.

I really didn't know if I could pull this off when I started. I added to the pressure by going public with the project right from the start.

I am starting to see new possibilities and projects, things that I wouldn't have considered a fortnight ago.

badoosh

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2015
manchester
That's awesome.
And it will be around a lot longer than any of us.
Just see the cash in the attic in 200 yrs time.
Wish I had an eighth of your skill and patience.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A truly excellent thread throughout, and an object lesson for all who face the trepidation of a new project involving learning novel skills and techniques. Thanks for this :)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I have to admit to being surprised.

I really didn't know if I could pull this off when I started. I added to the pressure by going public with the project right from the start.

I am starting to see new possibilities and projects, things that I wouldn't have considered a fortnight ago.

You must know we were all routing for you :D and those of us that work with wood a lot are here for moral support if technical advice is not needed. Great project, superb bloggage and a huge thank you for inviting us along. :You_Rock_

Rob.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
totally blown away, you have nailed it!

Actually I cheated and used some screws as stated above. ( They are hidden behind the wooden dowel ends.) ;)

Back then iron was difficult to make which made it relatively expensive. The further work of hand making a nail would have made them quite valuable. Most woodwork was fixed with wooden pegs or trenails. That is what the dowel ends represent.

The chest I made uses only six visible nails, clenched over roves in the same way that they were used in ship building. They are used to fix battens under the lid to hold it in place. Because the battens are old and well seasoned they should stop the lid from warping as well. I think I can justify thier use as they replace hinges which would have been even more expensive.

Today, we have a different perspective when it comes to metal and wood. I have a huge lump of metal rusting away on my driveway yet I cherish every peice of good oak I can get my hands on. Very different to the Viking point of view. For them, the most expensive parts of a longship were almost certainly the sail and the nails.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
First of Bro, seriously, that's really nice work.
I was just going to ask about the dowels, I was just given a couple of old oak whisky barrel tops, I broke one dowel during the sanding back process, which was kinda fortunate really, as I didn't know that between the staves the cooper uses straw to waterproof the seams, anyhow I replaced said busted dowel ,then proceeded to bust two more dowels hammering the lid back together Grrrrrrr. I used to use my old POC wood arrow shafts as dowels when making targes, I'm not to good at making Oak dowels, far from it, my barrel top is about as stiff as a string vest, But I do like that cist Bro. I'm gona try making a wee oak cist next, knowing my luck and skill level it will probably end up decorated with bent nails and wayward harmer strikes, more of the rustic wreck look than the religious reliquary. Anyway, once again Bro, nice job.

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I finally got my other half to take a look.
" It is absolutely gorgeous, he should be very proud of himself" she said, while the most I get is "that's nice dear!" :lmao:

i understand the "cherish" point of view, metal can be recycled and reformed to make something bright and new, wood has greater limitations but both have similar skill requirements to work with.
On the plug grain issue, making end grain plugs can be difficult, they do not snap out as easy as side grain ones, so something like a dowel maker (Veritas make some, but they are not inexpensive) is a better tool as buying lengths of oak dowel or other more exotic woods is very costly/hard to come by.

Rob.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thank her very much for me Rob.

In re-enactment there is a breed of person that are commonly referred to as "stitch counters" by the rest of us.

They will examine everything in minute detail looking for the tiniest of faults.

I've already had someone tell me the art style is too late until I pointed him in the direction of the Bewcastle Cross.

That's the sort of person that might spot the dowel grain direction and wag a finger.

Other than that, I'm not too worried about it, just kicking myself for not thinking about it before putting them in.
dohh.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE