The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lipase

Sep 29, 2010
UK
It can be confused with Chlorophyllum rhacodes (Shaggy Parasol) which is poisonous to some people even after cooking. The fact that the stipe on fruitbody in the photo has been scratched away and is still white (as opposed to staining red then brown) means that it is not a Shaggy Parasol.

Jack

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
It can be confused with Chlorophyllum rhacodes (Shaggy Parasol) which is poisonous to some people even after cooking. The fact that the stipe on fruitbody in the photo has been scratched away and is still white (as opposed to staining red then brown) means that it is not a Shaggy Parasol.

Jack

In addition, the "snakeskin" pattern on the stipe is diagnostic of sp. procera rather than sp. rhacodes. I know many people who have eaten rhacodes and none of them had a problem.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
The URL is the location of the picture - exactly the same as the link you posted. Usually people upload their pics to something like photobucket and link to them there. HTH :)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
just opened curtains and seen these on the back lawn,...

not planning on knocking up an ommlette just yet tho so dont panic,..

not had achance to look in the reference book yet but thought i'd share to pics.

cheers!

Stu.

DSC02837.jpg

DSC02836.jpg

DSC02838.jpg

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
These are inkcaps. They look like very waterlogged common inkcaps, in which case you can eat them only if you stay away from alcohol for a day before you eat them and a day after you eat them.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
thankyou Geoff,

i did,n tlike the slimey look of them but its been raining all night too so,....

think i'll give it a miss, i had a wee dram last night.

wallybaz00m

Oct 17, 2010
Wiltshire
Hi There

I would be most grateful if you could identify these mushrooms / fungi for me. (LINK to Photos)

I have spent ages looking through the most comprehensive fungi book i could find (by Roger Phillips) but with no joy.

These were growing in a small deciduous woodlands next to a stream. They were in clumps of various sizes maybe up to 30 in one group. The trees nearby were oak, beech and hazel with few hawthorne and blackthorne bushes. i didnt notice any smell from the mushrooms.

Many thanks (please forgive me if i have missed anything as this is my first post.

Wal.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi There

I would be most grateful if you could identify these mushrooms / fungi for me. (LINK to Photos)

I have spent ages looking through the most comprehensive fungi book i could find (by Roger Phillips) but with no joy.

These were growing in a small deciduous woodlands next to a stream. They were in clumps of various sizes maybe up to 30 in one group. The trees nearby were oak, beech and hazel with few hawthorne and blackthorne bushes. i didnt notice any smell from the mushrooms.

Many thanks (please forgive me if i have missed anything as this is my first post.

Wal.

Wal,

It is honey fungus (Armillaria mellea).

Geoff

Stratts

Forager
Nov 2, 2010
Yaxley, Peterborough
Chap at work brought them in off his lawn before he mowed the grass.

I've looked thru a couple of my books but can't ID them and I'm a novice too!

The ones on the right are growing in pairs he said, others are just random

Also not sure if the one on top in the left group is different to the other 5. It looks like a Rusula to me but I'm not sure?

03112010437.jpg

03112010441.jpg

03112010440.jpg

03112010439.jpg

03112010438.jpg

03112010442.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE