The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
The ones on the right look like sulphur tuft to me. The blue-tinted gills are a giveaway. Common as muck. Poisonous.

The others I'm not sure about...possibly Hebeloma ("Poisonpie").

None of them are russulas. Completely the wrong shape, gills the wrong colour.

Last edited:

Stratts

Forager
Nov 2, 2010
Yaxley, Peterborough
Ok thanks mate

How about these I picked this morning on open grassland on the site I work on. Growing in a large ring.

They have a violet hue to the stems and also turned slightly violet when I cut through the small one.

I'm thinking field blewit maybe?

04112010449.jpg

04112010448.jpg

04112010447.jpg

04112010446.jpg

04112010445.jpg

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
So what`s the best website to learn about the edible fungi in the UK?
W.

I know of only one which is dedicated to the subject:

http://www.wildmushroomsonline.co.uk

There are places where you can learn far more about fungi, but often with an effective ban on discussions about edibility. You'll find the same pattern if you try to find local courses - most are about wildlife rather than food.

jimcall

Oct 15, 2008
Falkirk
Can anyone ID these little chappies for me please? They were found growing on an old Alder tree in Glencoe on the 22nd January. For scale, I can hug the tree and clasp my hands! They looked "slippery" but felt firm to the touch. There were a great number of similar looking but much smaller fungi on a neighbouring tree last year in the campsite and the owner cut the tree down. This is one of my favourite trees as I use it a lot to pitch my tarp and I would hate to lose it unnecessarily!
Many thanks

Jim

DSCF1506.jpg

DSCF1505.jpg

DSCF1504.jpg

DSCF1503.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My first thought is Pleurotus cornucopiae (related to oyster mushroom), but they look a bit dark, and I'm not at all convinced by my guess. I will defer to someone with more knowledge.

On a second look, I'm even more convinced that I'm wrong!

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I have a tentative ID from Michael Jordan at the ABFG: Phyllotopsis nidulans, which is rare and generally confined to mountain areas. It does not appear in any of my three main books (Roger Phillips, full Collins guide and MJ's own encylopedia).

Common name is "mock oyster".

jimcall

Oct 15, 2008
Falkirk
Geoff, thank you very much for your investigative work, I had a look the link to the ABFG. My little fungi seem to have provoked a good deal of discussion! My main concern is the health of the tree, or trees if it causes damage.

Thanks again

Jim

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Geoff, thank you very much for your investigative work, I had a look the link to the ABFG. My little fungi seem to have provoked a good deal of discussion! My main concern is the health of the tree, or trees if it causes damage.

Thanks again

Jim

All the species suggested are either saprobic (feed on already-dead wood) or parasitic (damage living trees). Whether or not it could actually kill the tree I do not know.

chairmanphil

Apr 4, 2011
oxfordshire
hi people, i put some horse manure down on the veg patch about a year ago now and grew some very successful pumpkins on the patch. later in the autumn some purple tinged mushroons sprang up in great numbers. they looked like the wood blewitt in the book but i was not sure so left them. just found this site so i thought i would ask here so in the event they come back i will know. :)
CIMG1035.jpg

CIMG1037.jpg

CIMG1039.jpg

thanx ;)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Phil,

They look like Wood Blewitts to me, yes. Although you do need to be a little bit careful with these, because they are a bit variable and can be mistaken for various other things, especially the purple Cortinarius species, some of which are poisonous. The giveaway feature is the smell - wood blewitts have a distinctive strong fruity/flowery aroma.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE