The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BunnyMazonas

Sep 13, 2010
Kent
Ah if I was but a bit nearer to you! Kent is a bit far away from Sussex when you don't have transport. I really do appreciate the offer, though.

Hee, I didn't think I was colour blind, but the mushroom I posted above looked more vibrant than the grey-brown you're mentioning. Then again, I am on some rather "fun" meds at the moment which can interfere with visual input somewhat! Oh dear...

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
thsi was bursting out of the tarmac outside the local post office approx 12" across

(why cant you take a decent photo on a Phone )

Fungi2.jpg

Fungi1.jpg

Are you going to eat it? It's very tasty...

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There's a few you really can't get wrong. You cannot confuse a penny bun with anything poisonous unless you are both completely colour blind and very stupid. You can't get shaggy inkcaps wrong. You can't get giant puffballs wrong. You can't get beefsteak fungus wrong. I would have normally said you can't get COTW wrong, but clearly you can (although you were correct to believe that what you'd found wasn't poisonous).

Geoff, you clearly know your stuff, and the advice you gave above is all excellent (I started a thread on basic harvesting advice for novices). Just a question. I love shaggy ink caps, but don't they have the same problems with reacting with alcohol that you get with common ink caps? None of the books seem to attribute this hazard to shaggy ink caps, but I distincly recall my brother suffereing after a shaggy ink cap and a babycham (!) were combined in the same meal many years ago. Shaggy ink cap was the first wild fungus I learned to identify and eat.

Opinions much appreciated. Thanks :)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Geoff, you clearly know your stuff, and the advice you gave above is all excellent (I started a thread on basic harvesting advice for novices). Just a question. I love shaggy ink caps, but don't they have the same problems with reacting with alcohol that you get with common ink caps? None of the books seem to attribute this hazard to shaggy ink caps, but I distincly recall my brother suffereing after a shaggy ink cap and a babycham (!) were combined in the same meal many years ago. Shaggy ink cap was the first wild fungus I learned to identify and eat.

Opinions much appreciated. Thanks :)

I've eaten shaggy inkcaps and consumed alcohol many times and not had a problem. It's common inkcaps that cause the problem. I hardly ever eat them, because I like a drink or two.

They certainly are a good one to get under your belt first. Easy to find and impossible to get wrong. I can't remember what the first edible fungus I ate was, but it may well have been a shaggy inkcap.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
are you referring to my photos geoff? ifso no conifers but loads of bark chippings

In which case I'm not sure what they are. It's almost impossible to identify cortinariuses without microscopy/chemicals, and I'm not even sure this is a cortinarius, but it is the spitting image for the picture of cortinarius armeniacus (got the spelling wrong before) in Roger Phillips. Unfortunately this photo doesn't seem to be available on his website and there aren't many others online. Have you got Phillips' book?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've eaten shaggy inkcaps and consumed alcohol many times and not had a problem. It's common inkcaps that cause the problem. I hardly ever eat them, because I like a drink or two.

They certainly are a good one to get under your belt first. Easy to find and impossible to get wrong. I can't remember what the first edible fungus I ate was, but it may well have been a shaggy inkcap.

Thank you. Either my memory is playing tricks or my juvenile identification skills were not quite as good as I thought they were 25 years ago. :p

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
ok guys another try.
i found this mushroom in a low lying field next to a river,
smell: nutty
stem: hollow and very slender
gills: cream -pure white

main question is is it edible., and then it t dryable?
and apologies for low res pics

firm texture

Photo0287.jpg

Photo0288.jpg

Photo0290.jpg

Photo0291.jpg

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
ok guys another try.
i found this mushroom in a low lying field next to a river,
smell: nutty
stem: hollow and very slender
gills: cream -pure white

main question is is it edible., and then it t dryable?
and apologies for low res pics

firm texture

Photo0287.jpg

Photo0288.jpg

Photo0290.jpg

Photo0291.jpg

If it turned redish after you cut it then I'd say Shaggy parasol and if not Parasol.
Looking at the stem which I can't see very clearly it looks like its got a bit of the snakeskin pattern that Parasol mushrooms and the shaggy ones don't have so I'm going with that.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
What about this one, I had to dig it slightly out of the ground and the outer had the texture of a leathery egg.
The inner part tasted like a fairly tame radish.
DSC01176.jpg

Oh and I identified it before the tasting part as I was on a mushroom course this weekend.

Last edited:

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
I'm with Parasol mushroom too. Nice find. I haven't found any this year so far.

saw it a mile off and i had to improvise a bridge acros the medway(very small up her) to get it but i found two a fried them in butter after consulting experienced mushroom pickers on a camp that i was on. didnt see any others around as expected. but two nice sized bits of food.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I think it might be of the Aminita genus, but not sure after that.

Not an Amanita, no. These are parasols (Macrolepiota procera).

The others are "little brown jobs" as far as I am concerned. Don't even bother trying to ID those: not edible. (ETA: could be a conocybe but I'd personally guess it is more likely to be a panaeolus)

Last edited:

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Not an Amanita, no. These are parasols (Macrolepiota procera).

The others are "little brown jobs" as far as I am concerned. Don't even bother trying to ID those: not edible. (ETA: could be a conocybe but I'd personally guess it is more likely to be a panaeolus)
Hi Geoff - would you say a safe one to try? Or is there something too similar for a novice to chance it?

thanks

tel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE