The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I'll have a guess EarthtoSimon. It might be a species of Inonotus. The ones that I have seen tend to weep liquids like that one. Inedible, and I'm not away of any bushy uses for them. To be honest, bracket fungi are difficult to identify anyway, so you may be out of luck getting a definite identification from the picture. It does look interesting though. I think it is too pale to be Horse's Hoof.

Thanks Harvestman :) I'll keep an eye on it throughout the year and see if gets a bit easier to identify.

Young bracket fungi are very hard to identify. I wouldn't even try with that one. Too hard for me...

Yeah, I spent most of new year studying fungi books trying to work out what it was learnt a lot but didn't find it.

mudgutz

Jan 26, 2013
Staffordshire moorlands.
Hi people,

First off loving this thread ( have picked field mushrooms since I was a kid but always stayed away from, ''ahham, almost'':240: everything else due to the usual fear drilled into me from parents and other's while growing up ) and the site in general goodjob. Secondly, sorry for the rubbish pic's but only had my phone on me but thought Id ask if anyone knew what these things are?
Found under an Oak at the side of a lake in dry(ish) ground.
First pic has my ear phone's in there for sizing.
Skin was leathery and very rough. I picked one and split it open and it was full of what looked like soil and a few maggots.

photo0207k.jpg

photo0212l.jpg

Not going to eat em,thought it was some sort of puffbull just a bit strange it was full of soil or what ever it was. Sorry if its a noob question.

Take care all.Dave.:)

mudgutz

Jan 26, 2013
Staffordshire moorlands.
Ok no takers on the above? Dont blame anyone, the pic's are rubbish.:eek:

What about these?The wood near me is full of them. They vary from an inch or so to around six. Leathery skin and hard to break up, also don't smell of much and seem to hold a lot of water.Mainly on silver birch's.

030rx.jpg

031fp.jpg

Cheers.Dave.:)

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
What a great thread:You_Rock_.

I love searching for mushrooms, last year was terrible for foraging in the woods but I did find my first Morel around May time. Anyone in or around Norwich go foraging?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi Geoff, I hope you had a good winter.

Here is my first question of the year. I came across these fungi and can't identify them. The habitat is a bit odd, as it is a woodland that has grown up on what was once a grass tennis court (last used about 1930). the soil is damp, with golden saxifrage and a lot of bramble.

Any ideas? Same fungi in both pics as far as I can tell.

8707152329_3c6c1ab20a_b.jpg
8708275702_7b6733818d_b.jpg

Thanks as always.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi Harvestman

Happy spring!

Those look very much like Agrocybes of some sort, probably A. praecox (Spring Fieldcap). Name is a bit misleading, because they can turn up in the autumn as well. It's also a complicated genus (A. praecox and A. molesta are really a "species complex", and there's quite a few other less common species in the genus that these could be.)

Geoff

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Agrocybe sp. will do me very nicely, thank you. I have to produce a list of species that I saw at this site, and this fungus had me beaten.

Thanks again.

Saul Gilsenan

May 11, 2013
Stoke-on-Trent
Good morning folks! Found these on an old birch tree and wondered if anyone would ID them for me? My guess is that it's Piptoporus Betulinus but I'm not terribly sure as they're a bit light on top. Found a much larger specimen on a dead Birch tree with a very brown top but I've lost the picture!

5n2bv9.jpg

If it is Birch Bracket, is this the same fungus as Razor Strop and can it be used for carrying embers and making tinder?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE