The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Saul Gilsenan

May 11, 2013
Stoke-on-Trent
Cheers for the response to the birch polypore. I've been out foraging tonight and found what I think are the Horse's Hoof Fungus and some Chaga. Here are some pictures of both so if someone could confirm either of them I'd be very greatful!

First the Chaga. Found this on a dead Silver Birch Tree. Smelled very aromatic when I put a spark to it but it didn't burn in this state. Here's one on the tree and one of the collected stuff laid out at home.
70gh6v.jpg

8wkxo7.jpg

Secondly the Horse's Hoof Fungus. Spotted a small one on a tree by the roadside so went into the woods and found some much bigger ones to take home!
2vdfc3m.jpg

2cwk4g0.jpg

2wbzrj6.jpg

Some a bit green in places but they don't look THAT green in real life. Think it's just moss? Not really sure...

joewalton1989

Mar 23, 2013
Leicester
Sorry in advance doing this on my phone so it might not work.

This is my first attempt at a fungi identification (and search)

However I think it could be a St. George's Mushroom. Found it today

joewalton1989

Mar 23, 2013
Leicester
Second I found today, on some dead birch in a log shelter I use to brew a cuppa.

I think it could be blushing bracket, but as I said in post above, I'm extremely new to this..

This is growing on the pruned (well more hacked - wanted to play with my laplander) budlia. I'm new to this so have no idea what it is.
vybuge6u.jpg

I also have a toddler wandering around the garden so could do with knowing if it needs to go before the plays with it...

Thanks for your help, Mark

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
This is growing on the pruned (well more hacked - wanted to play with my laplander) budlia. I'm new to this so have no idea what it is.
vybuge6u.jpg

I also have a toddler wandering around the garden so could do with knowing if it needs to go before the plays with it...

Thanks for your help, Mark

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

That looks very much like Dryad's saddle to me.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Yes, Dryad's Saddle, which is acting here as a parasite. Quite a lot of it about at the moment. Buddliea are pretty hardcore, so should be interesting to see who comes out on top of that battle. I'm guessing the fungus will eventually kill the bush.

joewalton1989

Mar 23, 2013
Leicester
Thanks for the feedback, my book on mushrooms doesn't appear to have anything resembling my second picture but the blushing bracket is the closest I could find

TheNative

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2013
The Frontier
www.youtube.com
I was wondering if anyone can help identify this fungi? I found it last week growing on a dead fallen tree, I believe the tree was beech or sycamore as that is what species are nearby. There are a few shelves of it. Is it Chicken of the Woods?

5fr4.jpg

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
New to the fungus I d but finding it fascinating so names and uses please if poss

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 11

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hello Mouse040

The first one (two pictures) are Polyporus durus (bay bolypore), the second is Trametes versicolor (turkeytail) and the third looks like some sort of Ganoderma (artist's fungus). None of them are edible, but turkeytail is being investigated for anti-cancer properties IIRC.

Geoff

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Yes. Lots of people reporting it in the last few days. And the wood is likely to be sycamore rather than beech.

Any reason why the wood is likely to be sycamore? I've often found CotW growing on beech trees, more so than sycamore. (I'm also trying to grow it via dowels on some beech logs so interested in your reasoning).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE