The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Ok, this is probably going to show up how little i know, but those things look damn similar to what i was describing!

Maybe a bit less Agaricus than mine, but like I said, i've been wrong before. :eek:

Melonfish, stop teasing and say what you think! :nono::)

Werl, i thought it was a innocybe but after looking again i'm proper stumped...
i'm even having issues popping it in rogers easy key...
oh well i'm sure i'll figure it one day.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Poss. Agaricus xanthoderma for yours Melonfish - particularly so if it stains bright yellow on bruising/cutting. Are those spores prints a 'purplish brown' as they appear in the photographs?

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
any ideas??

I9.jpg

I8.jpg

If that's growing in your lawn, it's less likely to be the deceiver and more likely to be Panaeolus foenisecii - either way, don't eat it unless you get it positively identified by a bona fide 'shroom expert ;)

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Had this growing in my garden...

And finally, a spore print:

Alot of pics there :p but if anyone could tell me what it is would be great!
Thanks for looking,
Dan.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Poss. Agaricus xanthoderma for yours Melonfish - particularly so if it stains bright yellow on bruising/cutting. Are those spores prints a 'purplish brown' as they appear in the photographs?

it was more of a rusty brown, sorry thats the light in my living room. it didn't bruise or stain any colour and smelt like mushroom rather then ink/urine so i just could not figure it..

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Melonfish, your fungi seem exactly like my mystery ones, and growing on chippings too.

DMadden (love the avatar, by the way) - I thought Brown Roll-rim too. Not a nice thing to eat.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Melonfish, your fungi seem exactly like my mystery ones, and growing on chippings too.

DMadden (love the avatar, by the way) - I thought Brown Roll-rim too. Not a nice thing to eat.

They do sound awfully similar, mine are growing in wood chippings too, can't tell what the tree was but its just a great pile thats been there since march. must be some odd agaricus or perhaps it is an innocybe? no idea lol isn't there a place we can send pics off to for stuff like this?

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Cheers guys, (thanks harvestman, my avatar works out quite well). But I'm always nervous about poisonous plants/fungi; I've handled this 'shroom quite a bit to learn what it looks like, is this going to have any adverse effects :s ?!
Dan

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
The toxins are cumulative - don't handle it any more until you've had it properly identified.

The mushroom guide I've got states it's poisonous if eaten raw or under-prepared, but also if correctly prepared and over-used - there's no mention of poisonings occurring after handling it, but there can be a delayed effect - as with all cumulative toxins, prevent further exposure! If you're worried, I'd be tempted to carefully collect a specimen without touching it and have it properly identified by a mycologist and ask them what they think the risks are.

I did type another reply - but, annoyingly, it didn't post - apologies if this doubles up on it.

Cheers,

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm going to second Adze's comments about handling. A few years ago i took my daughter on a fungus foray run by the local council, and we came across a beautiful purple mushroom. Daughter touched it, and subsequently rubbed her eye. Half an hour later she was literally screaming in pain. Washed the eye out, and the pain subsided. Fungus subsequently identified as Inocybe geophylla var. lilacina, which is poisonous to eat, and it would seem, to touch.

Fungi are never to be taken lightly.

Sophielou10

Aug 18, 2010
england
i have quite a vague description, and understand i f its not possible to identife it.

growing in grass in horse field
white
no visible stem
didnt release any powder when crushed (by a friend, i tried to stop her)
felt like marshmallow but firmer (my friend again)

thanks

descry0

Nov 14, 2008
Northumberland
On immediate reaction it sounds like a puffball but would need more description - shape, size, surface texture and if your confident to pick it see what (if it has a) sort of stem and gills etc...but then again if I really don't know what it is I don't touch them with bare skin.

I always cut a sample in half to see if there are any colour changes and internal colouring. A spore sample is the ultimate test that you can send away for (though I haven't as yet).

I have an amazing site for saffron milk caps locally. I know there are a few lookalikes and I generally research thoroughly before eating. But they are great to eat! Anyone else have experience with them?

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Hi

Seems they are springing up nicely now that we've had a bit of rain. Found these first ones in my Garden, in the lawn underneath a large old Beech. From checking my ID books I thought initially red cracked bolete as it bruises blue and there is red in the cracks on the caps. Then I looked again at the stems and they looked more like the stems on the yellow cracked bolete. Any views:

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

Note blue bruising on pores:
IMG_0100.jpg

Bit maggoty when cut in half:

IMG_0101.jpg

Then I found this bad boy poking out of some ivy in the woods behind my house. I noticed the enticing white cap from from a fair distance and it just called me over... Destroying angel?

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Last but not least my mate spotted this and sent over a pic for me earlier today. I think from his local woods. Shaggy parasol?

shaggyP.jpg

Look forward to any feedback or suggestions.

All the best.

Barry

Aug 20, 2010
Manchester
I have posted a few photos of some common woodland fungi that I found in my local woods near Stockport. They can be seen here -

www.penninehobo.posterous.com

I've named them as far as I can but I'd be grateful with any help in identifying them more accurately. You can leave a comment under the photos. Thanks.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I have posted a few photos of some common woodland fungi that I found in my local woods near Stockport. They can be seen here -

www.penninehobo.posterous.com

I've named them as far as I can but I'd be grateful with any help in identifying them more accurately. You can leave a comment under the photos. Thanks.

Hi Pete, the bracket fungus at the base of the tree, like chicken of the woods is Meripilus giganteus, where abouts is your woods in Stockport mate.

Aug 20, 2010
Manchester
Thanks for the identification, Simon. That's appreciated.

The woods are along Poise Brook - a small tributary that flows into the River Goyt near Offerton.

Aug 20, 2010
Manchester
I spotted this attractive fungi at the edge of some woodland. It was growing on the trunk of a fallen tree near the upper River Goyt in Derbyshire. The greasy, asymmetric caps were about 3-4cm across and covered a large part of the trunk. There are three photos - click on the thumbnail photos at the top to see the gills.

Any ideas what it is?

http://penninehobo.posterous.com/mushroom

Many thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE