The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Thanks demographic, was just curious.
My camera has been out of action for ages now so have no mushroom photos to put up. Glad someone does! :)

Think xylaria pretty much nailed em all.

Think the swamp yellow russula may be the common yellow russula though.

Sorry to aks xylaria but are xerocomus badiorufus and xerocomus badius the same mushroom with different names?

Again what does [hymenopore layer dercurrent not adnate] mean in relation to xerocomus badiorufus? How can you tell from a flat photo?

What are LBMs?

Sorry to ask questions, actually im not sorry, but am interested and want to learn as much as possible before the next proper hunting season!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks demographic, was just curious.
My camera has been out of action for ages now so have no mushroom photos to put up. Glad someone does! :)

Think xylaria pretty much nailed em all. I get stuff wrong all the time the more people looking in detail the better

Think the swamp yellow russula may be the common yellow russula though.
I can't russulas apart from photos, I know by tasting the flesh, smelling them, and the spore prints, but pretty much they all look very simerlar. The little ridges between the plates are only found in one or two yellow russ's I think, but I moved house three weeks ago and can't check in the right book [buczaki (sp?)]

Sorry to aks xylaria but are xerocomus badiorufus and xerocomus badius the same mushroom with different names?
My main fungi guide [well the one I can find:rolleyes:]has them as separate species but the author [courtecuisse]is heavy criticized for creating too many divisions. They could be the same in some books.

Again what does [hymenopore layer dercurrent not adnate] mean in relation to xerocomus badiorufus? How can you tell from a flat photo?the hymenpore is the spore producing layer, I couldn't think of plainer word for the pore layer, sorry. With gilled fungi I can say gill attachment and it makes sense. The pores around the stem are elongated suggesting slight decurrent attachment rather than the more common adnate attachment

What are LBMs? Little Brown Mushrooms= mottle gills, psylocybes, stropharias, I can't say I ever had much interest in them. The life cycle is very interesting, but they are like little brown birds [warblers finches etc] in that only the really nerdy can tell them apart

Sorry to ask questions, actually im not sorry, but am interested and want to learn as much as possible before the next proper hunting season![/QUOTE]

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Thanks Xylaria,

Thats all quite helpful. The info you gave on the hymenopore layer is particularly useful and has provided me new insights into the pored fungi and attachments. I see exactly what you mean now! Very cool!

Thanks again!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Fairly easy one here, its pretty much exactly what it looks like as long as you imagine being really small and walking around the gills, lost.
Sorry but I didn't take any more pics showing the top but I doubt that will be a problem.
DSC00248.jpg

Commoner

Jan 29, 2010
Hampshire
cool thread

I've been foraging and eating fungi for years. I'm disappointed that people still seem reluctant to try fungi i.e. consume them.

Go out with someone who eats them regularly locally to you and you will get a handful of safe local idents that you can be sure of on your own. Find someone who doesn't guard their "best spots" too closely and repay them by finding your own "best spots".

Confession Time - I always used to lie to the public on fungi walks! I had to refuse to tell people which ones they could eat because my employer was worried about risk assessment and idiot-proofing the countryside! (AND to stop people coming back to my (SSSI) sites and eating my fungi!!)

I suspect most ranger types do the same and it puts the public off trying a normal pastime in the UK which our cousins over the ditch on the mainland think is abnormal and a waste!

Sorry.

Jericho

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2010
N.Wales
velvet shank maybe but wait for somone who knows there fungi to confirm..if it is velvet shank

Thanks for that (they've taken on a decidely unhealthy look now, so, i wouldn't fancy trying them anyway, but...)
Ya live and learn, never heard of them before! :)

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
My guess is horses hoof but it is just a guess.
Is it on a beech tree (another guess)? Not sure if horses hoof grows on beech but knowing the tree may help with identification

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
My guess is horses hoof but it is just a guess.
Is it on a beech tree (another guess)? Not sure if horses hoof grows on beech but knowing the tree may help with identification

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Looks a bit like a horse hoof, but possibly a many zoned polypore.

I'm a complete novice so I can'y say for sure.

Liam

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I found these fine specimens growing on birch in North Yorkshire. Looked at Rogers and the Collins Guide and can't find a closer match than Fomes Fomentarius, the good old horses hoof. Tis not an exact match and I'd heard they only grow north of the border.

What think you, oh wise ones?

4428310935_24dcbc0795.jpg

4428310939_3192ceab4c.jpg

4428310945_a5d30c78ba.jpg

Cheers,

Jay

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hi guys, could this be Fomes Fomentarius fungi? It has been growing on a huge willow, or m'be on lime, cant say for sure as i found it after those two trees were choped down.
DSC01786.JPG

DSC01785.JPG

DSC01787.JPG

Last edited:
M

MH75

I found these fine specimens growing on birch in North Yorkshire. Looked at Rogers and the Collins Guide and can't find a closer match than Fomes Fomentarius, the good old horses hoof. Tis not an exact match and I'd heard they only grow north of the border.

What think you, oh wise ones?

4428310935_24dcbc0795.jpg

4428310939_3192ceab4c.jpg

4428310945_a5d30c78ba.jpg

Cheers,

Jay

Looks like fomes fomentarius to me.

M

MH75

Hi guys, could this be Fomes Fomentarius fungi? It has been growing on a huge willow, or m'be on lime, cant say for sure as i found it after those two trees were choped down.
DSC01786.JPG

DSC01785.JPG

DSC01787.JPG

Would go for Ganoderma applanatum.

mike 01302

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2010
doncaster
the velvet shank actually look like slippery jack (suillus elegans) to the complete novice that i am ; ) and i would agree with the rest of you on the horses hoof identification

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE