The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
anyone know this one? sorry for the naff pics!!!

E4.jpg

E3.jpg

E2.jpg

E1.jpg

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
I beleive that they are edible when young (according to michael jordan) but haven't seen one myself (or eaten one) so can't give you any first hand advice. Other than that I don't know anything else about them really. Sorry.
Nice find though mate - it's a beauty

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
thanks for all the help :) tis a beauty!!! there were a few slugs hanging around the base of it, perhaps they had a liking for it. Shame I couldnt get any better pics!

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Judging from the widely spaced gills and the uniform colour my guess is the deceiver. I'm definately not 100% as i'm not sure when these guys start appearing and additionally i've always found them amongst trees.
Anyway, you could try looking at pics and info on the deceiver (Laccaria laccata) and see what you think...
Cheers

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Thanks for the complement mate but i'm still only learning the basics, and it's alot easier to guess when it's someone elses pictures in some ways. Although it often takes a lot more information to get an accurate name it's easy to sit at a pc screen and take a stab at it.
I've spent a long time looking at pics and reading about the same mushrooms over and over again.
There are others on the forum with outstanding knowledge.
Have to admit though that this thread is my favourite in the forum.
Cheers and keep 'em coming!!!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ok, here's a challenge folks. A question with no photo. I'm normally ok with fungi, but this has me stumped.

Collected late May/early June, from what was a willow/alder woodland, and is now a lot of stumps and piles of chippings. The fungi were growing abundantly on the chippings piles, and nowhere else. They key out as genus Agaricus, and I'm certain that is what they are, but I can't get them to species. Either the habitat or the season is wrong. They are browner than a field mushroom, and had no obvious smell when fresh. Now that they are dried (I kept them) they have a pleasant mushroomy smell. When cut or bruised they did not turn yellow or red. Cap was not scaly. Stem with a large and obvious ring. No volva, and gills dark, with a dark brown spore print. Growing in loose clumps.

Based on the pictures in Roger Phillips book, the best match for general appearance is Agrocybe praecox, but it isn't that because of the ring, and the gill colour was much darker.

Habitat says something like Agaricus bitorquis, but the appearance isn't right. Appearance is rather like Agaricus augustus (The prince) in colour, but it wasn't scaly. Horse mushroom is also possible, but wrong habitat and time of year. I'm stuck.

This is really frustrating me, as whilst I am certain that this must be an edible species, I have a personal rule (based on a bad experience many years ago when I took a chance and got it wrong) that I won't eat any mushroom that I cannot identify to species with absolute certainty.

Any bright ideas?

(As they are dried out now a photo is a bit useless)

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
This is a real challenge Harvestman :)
Been looking through my Roger's and having a think. Not come up with any conclusions and probably just thinking along the same lines as you BUT; it could be a freak early occurence of one of the agaicus family (poss doe to strange weaher/temps) and the gill colours can change alot depending on the age of the mushrooms.
Are you able to say if the 'shrooms were growing ON the chippings or from the soil UNDER the chippings? If they were just growing in the soil then that would take a wee bit more of the puzzle out of it as we have no real way of knowing what tree(s) the chippings were from...
Just thinking out loud really :confused:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Definitely growing on the chippings themselves, and not from soil beneath. However, I know that the chippings are willow and alder (mainly willow), both from the stumps, and because I knew the woodland before it became a pile of chippings.

I went after them originally because I thought they were a late eruption of St george's mushroom, but as soon as I got them home they were obviously something else. Incidentally, gill colour seemed constant (give or take) in young and old specimens.

I'm tempted to just try a small quantity and see how I get on, but the risks of that are obvious, and I've been there, done that, and don't really want the illness that resulted again. I'm pretty sure they will be edible, but I've been wrong before...

I don't normally have problems with identifying large-ish fungi, but this one has me frustrated.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Hmmm, got me totally confused too and have got next to no idea.
Thanks for the additional info though. I have to say that even when I'm pretty sure of the species I've got I'm still a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to eating them. It's clear you know the risks etc but all I'm thinking is that MAYBE just maybe you've got a very rare species or undocumented one, I know the chances are very slim but it does happen.
Perhaps you could wait till next year and send a specimen to Kew or the Royal botanics here in Edinburgh for ID. I know that in the edinburgh botanics they openly invite people to do that - it keeps them in work!!! Whatever happens your patience would be rewarded; if it's poisonous - you live, if it's rare - you get credit for finding it and if it's edible - you can eat it.
Just my tuppence worth...

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
CalibanZwei spotted these the other day, there's a large pile of chipped wood left by the council and after the recent rains the fungus amongus decided to show its head.

i have an idea what these are but i'd appreciate some more input

overall shot
DSC00244.jpg

underneath shot showing transient ring (it had come off on others) no volva btw
DSC00247.jpg

alot were growing in pairs too
DSC00245.jpg

shot of cap
DSC00253.jpg

shot of gills - adnexed
DSC00252.jpg

and a spore print
DSC00250.jpg

DSC00251.jpg

let me know what you think :D

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ok, this is probably going to show up how little i know, but those things look damn similar to what i was describing!

Maybe a bit less Agaricus than mine, but like I said, i've been wrong before. :eek:

Melonfish, stop teasing and say what you think! :nono::)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE