The Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Ooft that is some eating! I (used to) go out to NC a lot and some of their bbq stuff is amazing, quite hard to find though. One of the guys I work with goes on about the different types of bbq... kinda lost on me but I guess like the characteristics of different malts, you need to be into it!

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ooft that is some eating! I (used to) go out to NC a lot and some of their bbq stuff is amazing, quite hard to find though. One of the guys I work with goes on about the different types of bbq... kinda lost on me but I guess like the characteristics of different malts, you need to be into it!
The main differences are usually regional and can be traced to two basic categories:
1) What type wood (smoke) do you prefer? Pecan, hickory, applewood, mesquite, oak, etc.
2) What type sauce do you prefer? Sweet, hot, tart, etc.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Niiice. I've got into proper wood barbecuing over the lockdown period, I've used ash and cherry to good effect. Loads nicer to cook on than charcoal too
I like ash as well. It’s a mild enough smoke that enhances more delicate meat or fish without overpowering it. Cherry smoked bacon is awesome too!

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
>Alder is the Pacific Northwest wood of choice for all things fishy, oysters included.
>I have 3 smokers set up, two here and one in the city. Run them all with apple wood for the first hour.
That's enough so it never gets tar-like. Just junk gassers (propane), $20.00 at most in yard sales.
Actually, all kinds of fruit woods & nut woods are just fine.

I've made up some quite good sauce recipes. Nobody wants any of those.
The preference is for a lot of slaw as a side and a very good dry rub, pre-cooking.
If I think of it, I'll foil-wrap the meat for the last hour so it cooks without drying.

The puffin squire

May 19, 2020
Kent
Wow that's great, I'd love to have one of those smokers as opposed to traditional cooking over coals, and also what a gnarly voice. Splashing out with the bourbon as well willet pot stilled

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: santaman2000

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
OK, you're on for a cost of next to nothing.
It really depends upon how many people you need to cook for. Not many now for quite some time, I believe!

Find a 2-burner propane BBQ, a junker. Twist the valve knobs.
If they are hard to turn, the valve block is hooped and costly to replace = keep looking.
Lots of people think that bigger is better.
They might offer a perfectly good 2-burner unit for next to nothing just to get rid of it.

Clean it out thoroughly. Light it to check for a rusted out burner. ($20.00 replacement here.)
With bolt cutters, cut out 1/2 the rock rack so you can put the smoke wood pan/box right on the burner.
I bought some really cheap little cast iron fry-pans as smoke wood dishes.
Buy a bolt-through thermometer and mount that in one end of the shell.

You're done.

All the meat goes on the racks on the cold side.
The smoke wood dish sits on the lit burner on the hot side.
Run 275F for 3 hours.
Smoke for the first hour.
Cook for the second hour.
Foil wrap for the third hour.*

Time to eat.

* Another trick is to baste the meats with a "wet mop" of seasoned apple juice.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Forgot: if you brush vegetables with oil, the smoke sticks better to corn, potatoes, carrots, etc.

A second BBQ grill is a good thing as one can be used for quickies like burgers and brats.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Wow that's great, I'd love to have one of those smokers as opposed to traditional cooking over coals, and also what a gnarly voice. Splashing out with the bourbon as well willet pot stilled

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Yeah, I’d like one of those smokers also. However I can accomplish most of it on a Weber kettle (albeit on a smaller scale) Just use the “indirect” method: put all the charcoal on one side of the grill with wood chips or chunks on it for the smoke, and put whatever’s to be smoked on the other side of the grill before putting the lid on.

Of course the bourbon (or beer) is mandatory either way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE