The Telescope

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I guess most of us who have any kind of interest in wildlife have a pair of binoculars. Mine get used a lot, and when I go for a walk without them I often wish I'd brought them.

However, often binoculars do not provide enough magnification. This is particularly a problem if you frequent wide open spaces; moorland, estuary, the open hill. I live on the edge of the highlands and often find this. This year I have started deer stalking and sometimes the binoculars will let you see a deer like object, but nothing more. For more detail (is it a hind or a stag? A royal?) you need a telescope.

Serious birdwatchers, and some American hunters, use short telescopes (they use either prisms or short focal length lenses) with a tripod. I would not choose to lug these up a Munro (Scottish hill over 3000ft asl) and neither would you. So the local solution, for the past century or more, is the draw telescope, ie, a telescope that is, er, telescopic.

Some professional stalkers use Ross telescopes dating to WW2 or earlier, but the vast majority choose the Gray 25x50 http://www.graytelescope.com/home/home.html
which is made in Scotland, but with Schmidt and Bender lenses from Germany. Schmidt and Bender make arguably the best riflescopes available.

I have long coveted a Gray, but the £870 price tag :eek: put me off a bit. So I bought a Russian 2 draw 20x50 Turist 3 telescope. This is no longer made, but until recently was available new for £30-£40. They crop up on ebay at stupidly low prices. If you can get a good one, do so. They come with a cheap but functional screw top plastic case

DSCF0479.jpg
[/IMG]

The Turist 3 is optically fantastic. It is highly praised by astronomers as a budget scope - although a terrestrial scope (ie, it gives a non-inverted image) you can see the rings of saturn with it when the seeing is good. I have done this myself, and have found it an excellent thing to have when out on the hill.

Recently I came across a 22 year old Gray at a price I could not refuse. The current Grays probably have newer and better lenses, but nevertheless I am well pleased. It is a bit better than the Turist 3 optically but not dramatically so. The difference is more noticeable at the edge of the visual field. Ergonomically it is vastly better - the longer tube makes it easier to hold and build quality is much better. The leather case is extremely robust, though less waterproof.

Quick real world trial today yielded these results:
Steiner 8x30 binos: Is that an osprey?
Turist 3: Yes, it's an osprey
Gray: Yes, and the fish it's holding is a pike......

Neither telescope would be ideal if wearing glasses but the Gray is better in this regard.

If you spend time in open country, think seriously about a telescope.

I have also seen small 15x30 brass scopes by Helios and Tasco. would be interested to hear if these are any good.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Fantastic. Yet another marvel of "ancient" technology still holding its ground. I thought that it was nigh on impossible to get a telescope that didn't weight 15kg and need a sturdy tripod. Even though I'm by no means a twitcher, I still have enough of an interest in birds that I've vaguely thought about getting a telescope, but I can no way justify the expense.

How much do these things weight, btw?

I'm not sure how useful they'd be for me because I do wear glasses, but I'd still be fascinated to hear people's stories of them.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I guess the useful weight is the 'case included' weight. The Turist 3 is circa 750g including case. The Gray is 1.3kg including case.

The eye relief is short, making use with glasses a bit tricky.However, it is perfectly possible to remove your glasses and correct for your refractive error with the telescopes focussing. The only downside with this is trying to aim the scope at an object you can no longer see, beacuse your glasses are off.......(assuming you are short sighted)

beach bum

On a new journey
Jul 15, 2004
cardiff
have also seen small 15x30 brass scopes by Helios and Tasco. would be interested to hear if these are any good

I've got the aforesaid Tasco version 25x30 here if you PM me your address I'll post it off for you to do a comparison to your very informative review. :)

This telescope is appearing all over the place, they are in my local camera shop labeled Tasco but elsewhere they carry other labels though are I'm sure they're identical Telescopes. :rolleyes:

regards

beach bum

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Hi Doc,
Good post. Bet you'll be responsible for yet another piece of kit in a few folks' growing piles now!!!

When you are referring to the short scopes you wouldn't want to lug up a hill, are you referring to things like these: http://www.kowascope.com/frontend/proddisp.asp?co=10000329

I've never found them too heavy; have one in my shooting kit (not a Kowa, unfortunately!). Then again I've never tried to lug one up a mountain. They are a bit difficult to hold a steady picture offhand and I suppose the telescopic ones allow much easier movement to follow subjects.

Now... Where's that old one that used to be in my dad's garage... :rolleyes:

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Spacemonkey said:
I've long considered getting a Yukon Scout scope for £35 in 30x50mm. 230mm closed to 370mm open, 450g and rubber armoured.

Anyone tried one?

I've been thinking of one of these, so would also be very interested in anyones views.

Until recently I have used an old Russian army surplus monocular I got when I was a kid. I think its 8 x 20 but it does, or did, its job until one of the lenses became loose :-(

Its mostly used for spotting stiles than flora and fauna though.

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
I have a spotterscope or fieldscope and tripod.
Mine was an 18th Birthday present and it's still going strong almost 17 years later.

It's an Opticron HR (high Resolution) 80mm scope with rubber armour and I use have a couple of lenses 22WAx and 40x.

However, I very rarely take it on bushcraft trips with me - they are just too darned heavy if you are covering any distance, and it's reserved specifically for birdwatching or deer spotting.

I have used draw-style telescopes but find them very awkward for astronomy and terestrial spotting. For bushcraft type trips I tend to rely on a pair of 7x pocket binoculars.

leon-1

P Wren said:
I have a spotterscope or fieldscope and tripod.
Mine was an 18th Birthday present and it's still going strong almost 17 years later.

It's an Opticron HR (high Resolution) 80mm scope with rubber armour and I use have a couple of lenses 22WAx and 40x.

However, I very rarely take it on bushcraft trips with me - they are just too darned heavy if you are covering any distance, and it's reserved specifically for birdwatching or deer spotting.

I have used draw-style telescopes but find them very awkward for astronomy and terestrial spotting. For bushcraft type trips I tend to rely on a pair of 7x pocket binoculars.

Paul they do a small 20x50 scope which is pretty good.

I have a lot of time for the older types of telescope, I used to use a scout regiment scope quite frequently.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Great info, folks.

Beach Bum, thanks for the offer of a loan. If I can't find one in the local photo shop I'll likely take you up. They are very small and handy.

The 25x30 Bresser is probably Chinese made (Bresser is a German firm but I think they import most of their scopes. Some recent Chinese optics are very good and in tests some recent Chinese binos were found to be optically better than my German Army surplus Steiners. However, I have seen some appalingly bad Chinese binos/monoculars so you'd really need to test it.

Even the 20x50s are not great in low light (...but you don't shoot red deer at night, of course) and the 25x30 will be even dimmer. However it could be a good daytime scope.

Regarding the Yukon, I tried one briefly at a game fair and found it quite good, but not as good as the Turist 3 and it felt less robust. One astronomer reports that it is 'dreadful' with awful field distortion. I don't know if this was a one off - the one I tried did not seem so bad.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.scagell/updates.html

The Kowas and Opticrons are both typical of those used by twitchers. The bigger objective lenses obviously mean better poor light performance than my 20x50 Gray. In themselves they are not too heavy, but short scopes really need a tripod. A long draw telescope works very well just by using a stick or by lying down.

i have had one of the russian tourist 3's since i was a kid, the date on the quality certificate is 1982 and i got it in 84. my one is a sort of very pale sea green with a black tube case. i have always used telescopes as i have one dodgy eye and bins have to be set up so far our of whack for normal people. also it compliments the long hair, earing and tiedye - poofter or pirate????

i also have one of the bresser beckers, its a good scope for the pocket or glove box, a bit dark compared to the russian but otherwise good for the money. another idea is to use a gun scope, i have an AGS 3-9x40 zoom for my air rifle and this is nice and bright.

you can often pickup nice old scopes around the north norfolk jumble sales etc, people move next to the sea for retirement and eventually stuff gets sold on. look out for church and school sales near sea and river.

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
I got a little reflector monocular the other day, 8x30, lens cap and lanyard :)

Really inpressed with it as well.

I also have some for sale, which i will offer here first, when i can afford to join as a full member !!

make is Lomo (russian)

total Magnifacation x8

observation distance from 3 to................. meters

diameter 40mm

length 116mm

mass, Kg 0.13 :)

scope.jpg

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hey Spike

Y'alright? How's the bike comin' along?

That sure is a dinky looking scope. Where abouts did you get it? (Your gonna say ebay ain't ya? :rolleyes: )

Is it the same one thats also available with a "star map" on it, cos I only seem to be able to find 'em in the US?

Also has anyone had any experience of the Turist 2? They seem alot more available than the Turist 3.

:bandit:

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Hey Scruff !!

The bike's still in bits, it's taken out the tappet rocker, spring retiner, dont know where the bits have gone tho !!

Got the scope a a deal i did with someone ;) Got 8 left, which will be on sale here soon(ish!)

Dont know if there the same as the one's with the starmap on, as i've never seen them....

It is a good little scope tho ! The only problem i can see is if ya drop it, as ya get dust/grit/muck in the end :(

Handle with care i guess ;)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I am a fan of Russian optics. Aswell as the Turist 3, I have a 8x30 porro prism monocular that is excellent. Although I have not tried a Turist 2 or the Lomo reflector monoculars, I would not be surprised if they are very good indeed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE