The technological disobedience of CUBA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I watched a documentary a while ago, about how, after the embargos, and trade sanctions placed on Cuba by the USA during the 1960's, the cubans became quite adept at 'making do'

The trained engineers left Cuba in the 1960's to go work in the USA, and /cuba became something of a DIY society.

After the collapse of the soviet union, the $6 billion or so of goodwill of external goods were also cut off. Stores were empty. In 1991, after the wall came down, the economy imploded. The cubans had relied on cheap imports from the soviets but that stopped.

So they had to become somehow completely self sufficent.

A few organisations were developed during these decades:

In the seventies The national association of innovators and rationalisers, a group of revolutionary minded scientists and mechanics made booklets for everyday people.

In 94-95 the state could no longer support its people, stores were empty, but this gave people the freedom to spawn their own economy.

The government, knew the crisis would be very complex, so the army published a book called the 'the book for the family' a compilation of practical exercises from popular mechanics to simple fixes for electrical home appliances, medical instructions, botanicals, growing food, protection, survival etc.

What happened was the people flourished. they came up with many of their own inventions, and another book was made entitled
Con Nuestros Propios Esfuerzos (With Our Own Efforts), the book detailed all the possible ways that household items could be manipulated and turned inside out in order to fulfill the needs of a starving population.

Ive seen pictures of the book. It looks like a large phone book, but it was ingenious in the ways, a simple motor for instance could be used for so much etc. It was very much like an instruction manual for a post appoloyptic world, after some sort of collapse.

Ive never been able to find an english copy unfortunately. I dont think it was ever translated.

A cuban american artisit, highlighted a small section of this Cuban self sufficency on a countrywide scale, as an art project in the USA, entitled, 'technological disobedience'

Heres a clip from the artist:

[video=youtube;v-XS4aueDUg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-XS4aueDUg#t=69[/video]

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No if you did a lot of those things in this country you would be prosecuted. We not only allow and encourage a lack of self reliance in our population, we have begun legislating for it.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I'm absolutely sure that possession would be regarded as indicating terrorist intent. After all, things like the Merck Index, a standard chemistry reference book, is actually named as being such unless you are working in chemistry and the book is kept at your laboratory. Says she looking at her bookshelf.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
In the time before Internet anybdy except a GP or Pharmacist being found in possesion of a MIMS ( a medication prescribing reference ) was regarded with some suspicion here in the UK. Back in the late eighties a British magazine known as 'Survival Weaponary & Techniques' [S.W.A.T.] also came in for a bit of flak with it's many articles on survival chemistry. Whilst showing how to extract Iodine from seaweed was fairly harmless, the DIY chloroform article raised some eyebrows.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Brilliant post!!! Thanks a lot.

I visited Cuba during the last couple of years of Fidel's presidency and thoroughly enjoyed myself. The people were friendly, weather was great, and the music was amazing! Fascinating place. My only problem was trying to understand the Cuban accent! And, as you say, signs of "make do and invent" everywhere.

Thanks, especially, for the link. I've just downloaded a copy of Con Nuestros Propios Esfuerzos and I'm looking forward to bringing my underused Spanish to bear on it.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's exactly the kind of thinking and attitude that should be developed and encouraged, but it won't be, for reasons that most here will have a good idea of...................

This is one of those situations where I find myself unable to post whilst remaining within the eminently sensible rules of the forum, so I'll wind my neck in! :)

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I once read that a definition of the word engineer is ingenious person. Seems to me the Americans may have taken the engineers with them, but there was no shortage of ingenious people left behind.

EDIT: Does also show what we, as a species, are capable of when we are freed from the constraints of the machine.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like that. A LOT! Some of those ideas are things we did as kids TBH.

That said, it's all a matter of perception. In this thread, we laud these ideas; but in other threads, I've seen similar ideas draw comments about the Darwin Awards.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm an engineer, my Dad was a civil engineer. We once had a heated.conversation about what is most important for an engineer to be. I said logical, he said to be right. It got into an argument which I lost. My Dad was and is still the better engineer as he is almost always right.

My view of engineers and engineering is quite simply it's common sense with know-how. Anyone can have common sense which can lead you to working the rest out eventually. That's why I think when you have no choice you will have to work things out yourself. I don't have to so I'll get things fixed by others who do it for aliving whether they're mechanics, electricians out phone techs replacing a mobile's broken screen. I don't see the Cubans as doing anything special, just doing what they must do. I seriously think our country in a similar situation would step up in the same way. Just that education and especially science and engineering education is not as universal. Our country, on average, is totally oblivious to even basic engineering/science. That worries.me but I still believe we'd still be able to do what is needed if we got into Cuba's circumstances.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
As far as I know Cuba is quite advanced in the field of medicine, mostly because of the quite frankly rather childish attitude of the US and consequently Cuba didn't have access to the same things we took for granted. They had to make it themselves.

Now obviously even saying that immediately turns me into a pinko lefty communist but McCarthy is long dead, and I never liked that 'You're either with us or against us' attitude anyway.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Merck, The Extra Pharmacopoeia by William Martindale. and many such freely available in libraries I have worked in, along with 11th edition of Encyclopedia Britannica and assorted 19th century works for artisans with details of how to do many processes and nary a single doubt or suggestion that they should not be freely available. Remember the Anarchists Cookbook? Mens Rea still applies.

Ironically Cuba is held to have a wonderful library system with the fatal flaw that strict censorship is imposed on what books may be made available.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just a gentle reminder folks, there are some elements of politics slipping in to the thread and it's something we don't discuss on BCUK. Can we keep the subject of the book without implication the rights and wrongs of the whys please. We don't want the thread locked and bad feeling especially in the season of goodwill and all that.
Cheers,
GB.

Elgatoloco

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Their self-sufficiency was always legendary. Thanks for the link!

on a sidenote: when I heard about the end of embargo I thought to myself " great, now their market will be flooded with crap western products manufactured in china"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE