the survival handbook (GUILT)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Some one I know I and haven't seen for a bit phoned me and said:
"hi how are you, haven't seen you for a long time how about a cup of tea? Oh by the way I’ve got some thing for you"

I didn't think much of it, any way when he turned up he said "I found it at home ages ago and thought, mals into all that, so there you go"

I did not know what to do faint or kiss him, it was Mr mearses 'the survival handbook' :yikes:

Then it hit me, do I tell him how much its been going for on evilbay?

NO I thought it would only upset him cause he just gave it away to me :eek:):

so now my dilemma is do I sell it and buy some kit or keep it? Does anyone know how much exactly they go for? would you guys sell it or keep it? and could you live with the guilt?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Well it has been known to go for 50-60 quid. But remember its his first book and easily his best. A good addition to the library... I'd keep it :biggthump

Ed

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
keep it

Lat I saw they had gone down a bit in ebay value anyway. You'd feel really guilty selling it and making lots of money (if you did) yet you can still enjoy reading it.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
This is like one of those agony aunt things.

I would keep it but if you do sell it then I would split the profit with him or at least buy him a bottle to say thanks.

Bill

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Keeper, it's a good book and it's based here so you're not going through pages of african roots and huts etc, you can keep it in your bag/on shelf and use it.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
i think maybe the best way of looking at it is what price knowledge and keeping it dose ease the guilt some what. looking through it it seems moor bushcrafty than his modern books which some times are a bit like a catalogues for kit so you all have nearly convinced me

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
The copy I was given is like new, which puzzles me I suppose it could have been sat in a bookshop and forgotten about??
It says 1990 inside I presume that is the year it was published??? and the same one we are talking about.??
I can't say I am overly impressed with it as it is sketchy on a lot of stuff?? :yikes: as already has been said his book was not the first be a long way.
I have a couple of books by someone called "Kreps" can't remember the name of one of them "Woodcraft"??? but the other is called "Camp and Trail Methods" they are much like "Kepharts" "Camping and Woodcraft"
I still prefer "Mors" " Bushcraft" as it goes into depth of things perhaps even over the top but when you have read it you have a good idea how things should be done. :roll:

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
you could photocopy all the pages and then sell it, so that you basically still have the knowlegde from the book but not actually the book itself and with the profit treat yourself to some more kit. :wink: :eek:):

i personally would keep it though... the choice is yours!! :nana: :lol:

Brainflex

Nov 6, 2004
Karma dictates that you keep it,however the fact that you thought of selling a gift is negative karma :naughty:

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
The rule of thumb I have always applied to unwanted presents [socks, etc] is to dispense with the object [sell/give/bin] and retain the memory of the sentiment that attended the act of giving.

I reckon you could also apply the same separation of object and sentiment to valuable/desirable gifts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE