the stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
As far as sword cane does i should think the length of the cane element dictates its classification

You could have a 4" knife blade hidden inside a 3 foot cane and that would be classed as a sword cane. This knife isnt disguised as something else (an everyday non weaponised item) which is what i believe the law concerns itself with in regard to concealed weapons

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
As far as sword cane does i should think the length of the cane element dictates its classification

You could have a 4" knife blade hidden inside a 3 foot cane and that would be classed as a sword cane. This knife isnt disguised as something else (an everyday non weaponised item) which is what i believe the law concerns itself with in regard to concealed weapons

Unless a midget uses my stick :D For him, it is a sword cane... :) (oh I am so naughty, sorry)

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
I concur with Nice65 as long as it stayed on private land or was used in some sort of exhibition or LARPing it's definitely UK legal (might have to double check on public liability insurance etc.).
It's similar to that lovely seax I saw a while back, it's basically beautiful art, but if you want to use it/play with it best to stay on private land or have a valid and extremely convincing reason otherwise.
I'm not ashamed to admit if I owned such a piece I would dress up and play with it like a real life toy as part of a fantasy costume, in private of course. :)

Well, I too would love to do that! :)

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
Lovely work my dude! The wood grain is gorgeous, how did you shape it and still leave the natural 3d grain? I'd personally display it with other old timey trinkets.

Oh and the comments gave me such a good laugh I read them twice! lol

Thanks! :)
I cheated of course ;) I shaped the whole with an angle grinder, than finished it by hand with various sandpapers. That I scraped some of the softer year-rings out with a wire brush, and than used sandpaper again to a fine grit. A tiresome work, but it was worth it! :)

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
I should not have opened my big mouth, I have not said anywhere that it is not a beautiful piece or a work of art, as believe it or not, I do appreciate fine blades, I like to make handles for blades too and I even own a sword, as a display piece, and it would be way to big to conceal. In my own mind I was merely considering that the item in question looked rather too much like a short sword cane for legal comfort so would raise a lot of questions. One question is when does a knife become a sword, at what length? The roman gladius was clearly a sword but relatively short and many a machete or parang could be considered as a form of short sword too.

And again, your law is clear (unlike ours unfortunately). A sword has a 50 cm or larger blade.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Looks like a very serviceable Wild Pig sticking piece of kit to me eye. Might even pass for use as a deer RTA dispatch implement.

K

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
And again, your law is clear (unlike ours unfortunately). A sword has a 50 cm or larger blade.

Which would imply that if the letter of the law was followed a great many machetes would be swords, and so would a number of scythe blades and even mower blades if they are big enough and I am sure some are. The law can be ambigous which is why there is case law that ultimately determines how that is applied.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Spot on!

Might also at a stretch be used to grill wieners over the embers!
See?
A Bushcraft use!

"Officer, it is not a swordstick for a 'person of limited vertical height', it is custom made Wiener grilling implement!"
Looks like a very serviceable Wild Pig sticking piece of kit to me eye. Might even pass for use as a deer RTA dispatch implement.

K

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Which would imply that if the letter of the law was followed a great many machetes would be swords, and so would a number of scythe blades and even mower blades if they are big enough and I am sure some are. The law can be ambigous which is why there is case law that ultimately determines how that is applied.

Swords aren't illegal either.

The knife in question here is simply a fixed blade. It is covered by exactly the same piece of legislation as any fixed blade, and that includes the tiny fixed blade in a Swisscard. Ok, it has a certain 'look' about it that suggests it has a certain purpose, but for all intents and and purposes, it's an art/fantasy knife. And it's an art/fantasy knife that towers way above any other of those types of knives.

Just appreciate it for what it is. Actually, at a foot long it really would make a good pig sticker or deer dispatcher.

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
Swords aren't illegal either.

The knife in question here is simply a fixed blade. It is covered by exactly the same piece of legislation as any fixed blade, and that includes the tiny fixed blade in a Swisscard. Ok, it has a certain 'look' about it that suggests it has a certain purpose, but for all intents and and purposes, it's an art/fantasy knife. And it's an art/fantasy knife that towers way above any other of those types of knives.

Just appreciate it for what it is. Actually, at a foot long it really would make a good pig sticker or deer dispatcher.

Thanks Rich, but I have a feeling that your effort is in vain. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE