the stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Well I am supposing, no ifs or buts that would be totally illegal in the UK.

Erm, no. Let's not do the tedious legal arguments, because there is no argument. It is legal to own this knife in the UK, and it would be a pleasure to do so.

The best way to look at this is; it's not a bushcraft tool, or a weapon, it has no intended use other than the imagination, it's a piece of skill and art that is here to be admired and appreciated as such.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I concur with Nice65 as long as it stayed on private land or was used in some sort of exhibition or LARPing it's definitely UK legal (might have to double check on public liability insurance etc.).
It's similar to that lovely seax I saw a while back, it's basically beautiful art, but if you want to use it/play with it best to stay on private land or have a valid and extremely convincing reason otherwise.
I'm not ashamed to admit if I owned such a piece I would dress up and play with it like a real life toy as part of a fantasy costume, in private of course. :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
So it could it be owned as a Collectors Item?

There's no such slot for it Janne. It is covered in the law as a fixed bladed knife. If a person has 'good reason' to carry a fixed or locking knife, then they may do so. Hence, I wouldn't see this one leaving the house, but it is completely legal and doesn't look like a user to me, it is not disguised like a belt buckle knife, or that Sinclair knife card thing, or a Swisscard for that matter (concealed fixed blade).

I'm appreciating it as a lovely piece of work, with great imagination.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm missing the point again (must be old age). There is nothing illegal about owning the beautiful piece of artistic weaponry as far as I can see; (I am very jealous of the craftsmanship and skill). Carrying it in public without good reason would be illegal. What's the difference between owning this and a Samurai Sword? or are they illegal now? (that's a genuine question by the way).
I have a stick/sword made for a private Steam Punk party that would be total unacceptable at a Steam punk fair!
Cheers,
Broch

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
LOL an amazing thread :) fact.....I can think of no good reason to carry this knife in public in the UK.... make one up if you want.... won't work in the courts....

sit it at home on you're desk.........fine... no problems at all

any problems with that ?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm missing the point again (must be old age). There is nothing illegal about owning the beautiful piece of artistic weaponry as far as I can see; (I am very jealous of the craftsmanship and skill). Carrying it in public without good reason would be illegal. What's the difference between owning this and a Samurai Sword? or are they illegal now? (that's a genuine question by the way).
I have a stick/sword made for a private Steam Punk party that would be total unacceptable at a Steam punk fair!
Cheers,
Broch

Your stick sword isn't legal unless an antique and kept within your home. Dammit, I was trying to avoid all this and just appreciate the knife. Look here's the Gov law thing. Samurai swords are mentioned.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Dammit, I was trying to avoid all this and just appreciate the knife

100% Sir......it's a beautiful thing indeed, why the legal crap ? I've no idea !....appreciate it for what it is....stunning craftsmanship. :You_Rock_

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
There you go. Move to the Cayman Islands and you can have those at home............

Legally. Just explain it is kind of machete. I had to do it with granddads sabers.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Lovely work my dude! The wood grain is gorgeous, how did you shape it and still leave the natural 3d grain? I'd personally display it with other old timey trinkets.

Oh and the comments gave me such a good laugh I read them twice! lol

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It is a thing of beauty and should be appreciated as such.

Very obviously it is not a cane - far too short - so it is not a 'sword cane' and hence not becoming illegal under that category.

Of course you wouldn't wear it on your belt walking down the street, but then neither would I wear a 10" filleting knife. Neither would be appropriate or permissible. Lets not get into that tedious argument again.

Lets just appreciate the design work and quality of production of this piece of art.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Cheers,
Broch

I should not have opened my big mouth, I have not said anywhere that it is not a beautiful piece or a work of art, as believe it or not, I do appreciate fine blades, I like to make handles for blades too and I even own a sword, as a display piece, and it would be way to big to conceal. In my own mind I was merely considering that the item in question looked rather too much like a short sword cane for legal comfort so would raise a lot of questions. One question is when does a knife become a sword, at what length? The roman gladius was clearly a sword but relatively short and many a machete or parang could be considered as a form of short sword too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE