The Skull ID Thread

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
All wrong I'm afraid so far.

Scorps, skull collecting is a great hobby and it also allows you to identify other signs and the animals that made them too, such as bite marks etc. I havn't collected any for years, but I used to just bury them for a few months then clean and bleach them afterwards.
 
How about this guy?

R%20S74-Wombats.jpg
 
OK, that looks quite difficult. Definately rodent, definately not British. The cheek bones and eye sockets are like nothing I've seen before. Looks like a plaster replica too. The nasal area is weird too.
 
Not a beaver - they have a funny upward facing hole in the ear region. Some sort of large rodent with a broad nose. Maybe coypu, capybara or something like that?

It's definately something along those lines. Certainly nothing native to Britain, possibly Europe. I've never seen anything like it. The cheek bone and eye sockets are just weird, as is the nose and nasal area. This one really has me stumped.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE