The scent of nostalgia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
ahhh so many!

The scent of pelargonium immediately propels me into my grandma's glasshouse, where I as a very young lad, spent many a happy hour, sitting in a box/bench, filled with toys and old stuff. I can still hear the rain patter of the reinforced glass roofpanes. Oldfashioned cooking or a warming up coal/woodfed stove does the same into her kitchen.
Diesel/rubber/trucksmells propel me back to the days I spent with my dad in and around his truck; the only happy memories I have of/with him.

Reactions: Toddy

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Creosote. The smell immediately takes me back to my childhood and most importantly, to my grandads shed. Every year he would spend a week redoing the shed and all the fences and the veg garden edging.

That shed was a treasure chest of stuff for me as a child. A long work bench on one side, with all manner of hand tools scattered along its length. Oil cloths, tins with things in, it was a little messy but grandad knew exactly where everything was and as I helped him do stuff I slowly learnt the proper place for everything to.

On one shelf, high up was a small tin marked 'old nails'. One day after an afternoons toil with the strawberry bin, grandad and I were sat just inside the shed door with a glass of lemonade. He reached up to the shelf and brought down the tin of 'old nails'. Cracking the lid with a mischievous wink, he revealed a tin half full, not of old nails but of filterless cigarettes and a few matches. I watched as he struck the match off the floor and took a smoke. He looked like a man content.

So creosote, that's my nostalgia. And I wont hide the fact even now, in my 40s and with grandad gone over a decade ago, I shed more than one tear over that memory.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Tracer1969

Feb 11, 2009
Belgium
The smell of metal, I was in the mid 90's responsible for a team fitters and welders, and we had to made 100 ton pipe supports in a short time.
We did a lot of overtime, but we had fun, worked hard and the scent of metal, being beams sawed or the smell of welding, allways remind me of this time, life was simple but satisfying and the friendship under the co-workers was great.
I have the same with music played in the mid 90's, we worked long hours, the music is different at night when everbody's asleep, when it's dark, and you're in a big shop alone or with a few people.

Reactions: Wayland and Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Different smells for different times of my life - some I will have forgotten until I smell them again :)

Plasticine – early school years in South Wales
Dead/decaying animals – childhood in N.Africa – that and the sound of dogs barking at night
Deep heat – teenage school rugby years, sitting in the changing room anticipating the match coming up
Cutting fluid and hot metal – apprenticeship years in the gun factory and working on the lathe
Asbach brandy – on exercise in Germany and getting very very drunk!
Giorgio perfume – an intimate friendship :)
Woodsmoke – a thousand campfires, and no bad memories

Wayland

Hárbarðr
James-Eldred-at-Symonds-Yat.jpg

My maternal Grandad used to make his own beer, and the smell of yeasty hops brewing, not finished beer, reminds me strongly of him.

I sometimes smell it when passing a brewery and it gets me every time.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE