The RSPB big wild sleep out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
So, lovely people, I managed to get the last place on a boat out of Cardiff to Flat Holm for the big wild sleep out with the rspb this weekend. I'm currently thinking about what to take for my grub, and which tent/shelter to go for.. Currently veering towards my tarp tent which is very very light, supported by walking poles with an uber light bivi inside. I could just take the bivi but it's bound to rain. A lot.

What I'd like advice on is the stove thing - I have a teeny camping gas thing but the canister is not new and the size doesn't exist anymore, an Esbit stove with corresponding mug, a bistro stove in its case, or a jet boil. Hmm. Having written that out I think I'll go with the Esbit as the lightest/most versatile. We're not allowed open fires otherwise it'd be the firebox. Is the Esbit a crazy idea?

We also have to take all our own drinking water - for a total of 32 hours I'm thinking about 4 litres which will include the water used in food cooking. What do you think folks? Am I underestimating? I do like my tea.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Good on you Lizz. Every time you post you seem to be going on another wild adventure. You are definitely NOT an armchair bushcrafter!.

I can't comment on any of your stoves, but my experience with water is to take more than you think you will need. Partly for that reason alone, but also in a group event there will be someone else who has wildly underestimated what is needed.

Finally, you are going to an island. Bad weather can cut you off and leave you there for longer than planned (I recall a trip to Skomer that coincided with the tail end of a US hurricane), so it is good to be over-prepared.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Lizz,

If its the old (and sadly no longer made) GT106 cylinders you can occasionally pick them up in carboots/online auctions. Though they're getting like hens teeth. I did have a couple in my collection 'till a few years ago when I passed them on to another "stovie" for his collection.

This person is still selling one though at £5 not cheap. LINK

Not a fan of Esbit stoves personally but needs must when the devil rides out. You can pick up a cheap and more efficient stove for not much (A lot of supermarkets will even have them in at this time of year) and it'll be quicker and less smelly. So saying I've used hexis before and they do do the job, just not quickly and the hexi fairies can get to you unless you keep the ventilation up to code.

On the water front (see what I did there! :rolleyes:) Some may see 4 litres as a bit shy of what you'll need but with careful use and rationing you should be fine as long as you don't over exert yourself or as long as the sun doesn't skelp down.

Good luck and have fun.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Four liters for 36 hours is do'able but a little on the tight side if you like lots of tea and water for cooking....plus, as said above someone will turn up with a liter bottle of mineral water....although if it does rain a lot your sorted

as you seem to like your ultralight stuff have a gander at the alpkit kraku. Its abolutely tiny, i use mine as a hanging stove a lot with a cheap titanium foil windshield it works brilliantly, and they use the same canisters as a jetboil.....which would be my pick out of the stoves you have

*edit

linky

https://www.alpkit.com/products/kraku

Last edited:

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Thank you for all advice - much appreciated. I ended up with massive migraines this week so have opted for the Esbit as I have lots of fuel for it and have only one canister for the jetboil and I really mustn't buy a new stove! Though the all kit is very pretty. The migraines meant I've only just read your excellent advice. Hmm osprey? And I was thinking gannet or guillemot, tee hee.

I'm all packed up now - five litres of water! Though I'm told the pub on the island will be open! For at least two hours! But we still should bring all our drinking water. I reckon there will be people who just ignored that bit in the email. I'm also taking a flask of tea, no explanation needed.

Next week, for fun I'm going to Birmingham, isn't that exotic of me, then to the wilderness gathering and then I'm off on a Dig until the end of August. And then the big adventure - going back to college as a very immature student! I'll be living in a caravan three or four nights a week, got confirmation of pitch last Sunday. Such a relief, I thought I'd have to stealth camp on the campus for the first few months. That's why they call it a campus isn't it?

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
So Macaroon, says on the bottom of his post as his signature - how to make the gods laugh, tell 'em your plans! College course CANCELLED as not enough applicants. So. Am searching for new courses and worthwhile things to do for the next year as had planned for life to be on hold for two years whilst I re-trained.

The weekend on flat holm was excellent -'I was almost the only person out of 100 who had enough water with them. I had a litre to share too. I saw whimbrells, peregrines, kestrels, buzzards, Ravens, lesser black backed gulls, herring gulls, oyster catchers, curlews, and some smal tweety things. Also collected bones and skulls, shells and bits of wood. Did a litter pick. Watched slow worms. Slept in the most minimalist shelter possible alongside tent palaces - even bigger than the big ones at the moot! Got the most sun burnt I've ever been! I'm normally hyper careful but not so much this time, owwww. Only arms as face very carefully covered and it was trouser wearing time due to thistles! All very excellent. Am now unpacking and re packing for the other bushcraft show, and Romano and Iron Age dig. And trying to work out what to do from September onwards. Any ideas folks?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
From September onwards? Just fill your time half as much as you do now with interesting stuff and you'll be fine; you don't seem to be stuck for interesting stuff to do, and a year will just fly past!!! :)

NarzaCyst

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2014
Cardiff
Lizz, not exactly sure on your situation etc, but am aware that you live in the south Wales area.

Sorry to hear about your college course etc, but if you need something to grind out for a year etc, my company in Bridgend are constantly recruiting, albeit, it's in the IT industry. Possible chance of myself interviewing also as it's just that corporate lol.

If you're in dyer need, Pm me and I could arrange to get you an interview / grind out that extra time of yours.

Fyi, they are recruiting for both part time and full time!

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Good to hear you had a good time Zizz and well done on the water !
Sorry to hear about your course. I'm studying at the moment to become a forest school Practitioner, I work in the forest school at the moment at my children's school as a helper. They have paid for me to do my level two course. I have just finished all the course work for that and am waiting to hear back off them. I shall then go on to do my level three course. I am also going to be doing a level two in learning disability's as there are a lot of children in main stream school now with some form of learning problems and as I'm not from a teaching background I thought it would help me with understanding some of the children that I come across in school. The head thought it was a great idea too. He is very supportive.

Good luck with finding another study course.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
The good news is, I have a place on a Grampus heritage programme to spend September practising ancient and traditional crafts in Turkey! Hurrah.

I've also now put in my application to do archaeology part time as an undergrad. I've been told there's a strong chance I will get a place! Hurrah x 2. And I have found some funding !!!!

And tomorrow I go to the Wilderness Gathering. Hurrah x 3

That's enough hurrahing. Thank you for helpful and supportive comments folks, I really appreciate it, you're very encouraging. Right, forwards, in one direction at a time?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Blinking 'eck Lizz thats wonderful, three cheers for you indeed.
You been to Turkey before? Great place, food, history, buildings, people and climbing all brilliant.
Congratulations and looling forward to hearing about your adventures.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Thank you, that's so nice of you. I've been to Istanbul and to Central Anatolia. I loved both of them - although I caught the noro virus in Cappadocia! Which is a rather vivid memory. 😊 I've been thinking about it and I haven't been outside of the UK for this long a trip since I worked in India more than 20 years ago doing relief work after one of the earthquakes in Gujarat. I'm very much looking forwards to it, the confirmation came through today. I am still pinching myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE