The Romance of Bushcraft...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
hark back to the security of Eden of the past.

I quite like your angle but this idea that life in *the past* was some sort of eden always makes me laugh. The truth is that it was generally a lot of ridiculously hard work, on a poor diet, for no money and living in squalor for the vast majority.

I do like the notion that our modern security transcends this darkness and allows all to enjoy which ever fine point we choose to enjoy from days gone by.

There is a lot to be said for modern living and western society in particular that allows us to do this.

To sum up: I Don't think we should knock modern society too much. It allows us the opportunity to be romantic about what used to be monotonous drudge.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Et in Arcadia ego.
800px-Herbert_James_Draper_-_Halcyo.jpg

Ok, now this thread is starting to make sense.

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
Locum, I wasn't really trying to suggest that the past was in any way some Eden, rather it is often seen that way by people who are more drawn to the past.
M

memorire

Jan 21, 2010
Germany
i believe it has something to do that our life is getting more complicated by the minute. and accelerates by the second. everything becomes instant and easy to buy. bushcrafting is a way to slow down for some time. if you have the knowledge life is easy in the woods (not necessary the physical aspect but the social). you need to slow down to get things done. if you rush it just wont work. if you want something you have to make/find/catch/grow it. you cant just go to a mall and buy it. so it is both a challenge and a gratification on a much higher level when you have it. these are all the things we lack in our modern society ;)

cheers

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
I have to agree strangely enough with all of the above. For me it's a multiple of reasons that work with each other:

1) Romanticism - Nobody should be able to deny this; Romance makes us fools and fools do stupid things, and to leave a warm and save house and hot meal to go and struggle outdoors for less than that for many it will sound absurd and stupid. But,

2) Genetic - It's something that has been imprinted in out DNA for millions of years (first tool ever found dates almost 2,000,000 years ago - http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld). It is therefore something strongly inprinted in our genetic code and as such, since we are the first few generations that are completely isolated (or protected) from the natural world, we are starting to feel a number of issues caused by the lack of adventure, chalenge and even threat and danger in our lives. Which naturally brings us to,

3) Escapism - In a rigid society that wishes to bubble-wrap and control everything about anything and anybody (for our own good) it is only natural that people will feel the need to escape and kick like a mule against these imposed rules and regulations, different people find different ways, alcohol and/or drugs, gambling, shoplifting, you name it, somebody does it. Bushcraft offers the open and free back-country and territory that although in theory still under the control of people, feels pretty isolated and free with threat and risk absolutely in abundance as many of us have figured out (but that's exactly what we want).

So to summarise in a sentence,

"Bushcraft derives from the needs of the modern (early 20th to early 21st century) human who's lack of control over themselves and their lives, coupled with an ever-increasing overprotective, and ready-made, no efforts lifestyle and state of being has caused an internal conflict with the genetic code that has been programmed to the human kind for millennia and has therefore caused a romanticism of the great outdoors and a more primitive and self-sustained way of life."

Hope that makes sense :)

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Nice summary Arri. I think you have pulled together just about what all of us have been saying on this thread. The only thing I would add, is that on top of all of this it is just all great fun!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Escapism and with as much aesthetic of a bygone era as I can get away with:

LC545-600.jpg

Not keen on the accuracy achievable with lever action rifles though but that doesn't seem to have troubled these cool dudes!

Note the pot hanger?

Cheers

Last edited:

Inusuit

Dec 30, 2009
Wyoming, USA
....Lets face it, I (and probably 99% of people on this forum) will never in our lifetime have the need to resort to practising many of the skills espoused on this site "in anger".

I really, really hope your are correct in this assumption. Climate change, economic collapse, terrorism, earthquake, Yellowstone caldera. All reasons I continue to practice bushcraft skills. We also have bugout/bugin plans, solar and wind generated electricty, wood heat, a year's supply of staples, and the usual USA assortment of firearms.

When I get nostalgic for the "good old days", I remember trudging down the path to the outhouse on those -40 degree mornings before we got indoor plumbing. Not too romantic as I recall.

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
I really, really hope your are correct in this assumption. Climate change, economic collapse, terrorism, earthquake, Yellowstone caldera. All reasons I continue to practice bushcraft skills. We also have bugout/bugin plans, solar and wind generated electricty, wood heat, a year's supply of staples, and the usual USA assortment of firearms.

When I get nostalgic for the "good old days", I remember trudging down the path to the outhouse on those -40 degree mornings before we got indoor plumbing. Not too romantic as I recall.

I'm pretty sure that's what it used to be told during the cold war era, different reasons, same end result.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure none of the above are going to happen, and I'm saying unfortunately because although I might cost mine or my descendants life, I'd love to be there the day Earth decides to flip her finger and show us the way of the dinosaurs. Don't forget, the house *always* wins! :)

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
We also have bugout/bugin plans, solar and wind generated electricty, wood heat, a year's supply of staples, and the usual USA assortment of firearms.

After the holocaust comes the paperwork?:D

It only cropped up later in the thread, but I think 'aesthetic' sums up a lot of my thoughts on it and those of the earlier posters. It covers it in two ways:

On the one hand aesthetics defines humanity. Our ability to enjoy the feel and look of something purely for its own sake allows us to enjoy pursuits like this. Working with natural materials in a natural environment whether for art or sustenance is a complete experience and a deeply moving aesthetic.

And on the other hand, the Ian M. Banks quote above sums it up well. Our comfortable existence allows us the decadence of dabbling in a minimalist, natural and sometimes risky activity and then returning to the safety of our computers to post about it. Whether or not we have a genetic predisposition to need fear I'm not so sure, but we certainly need play and modern life affords us that opportunity.

So, on the first point: is bushcraft performance art or a valuable human experience (or both)?

And on the second: are we just decadent bourgeoise thrill-seekers, or is there a deep-seated needed for this kind of experience in our psyche?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
....When I get nostalgic for the "good old days", I remember trudging down the path to the outhouse on those -40 degree mornings before we got indoor plumbing. Not too romantic as I recall.

And for those that are old enough to remember, or those that still live in that situation, the romance is limited...

To be honest ~(and ~I'm nothing if not honest, particularly when it comes to opinion :) ) the undertow for this thread is; who of us on this site uses the skills of bushcraft (or call it what you will) as a way of life, no matter how limited that use may be...?

But the sub thread is...what, other than "romance" is the driving force.

As BR has said there is an argument that the skills themselves do NOT need to be passed on (hope I'm not misrepresenting you red) therefore is there another aspect of bushcraft that is the sdriving force...?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Summer of 2008 I camped at GYM Farm with three others. I had my tent and the others used hammocks/tarps and a ground tarp. We set up a cooking shelter, had a nice fire and life was good.

Saturday morning a family group arrived and IIRC they were four adults and five children strong. There kit came down in the farms quad trailer and they set up. Big three bedroom tent, portaloo and toilet tent, gas stove and gas BBQ.

They had a great time, running round in shorts, teeshirts and flip flops sort of thing, the kids played in the river it was a pleasure to see their happy faces.

So you have two groups of people, both camping and both having a great time; I wondered then and wonder now what their opinion was of us when they popped over for a beer? Romantic? Doubtful but they were a nice group of people (and they had all seen RM on telly) and we all had fun.

So what I’m trying to say is ditch the bushcraft label, don’t be so keen to have to fit an image and just enjoy your days out.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Not necessarily directed at you, I'm just amazed at the amount of energy that goes into talking about something that can be as simple as cooking some beans over a fire!

Fava, Broad, Moth, Azuki, Mungo, Mung, Garbanzo, Hyacinth, Runner, Pinto, Kidney, Soya or Baked Bean? :pokenest:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE