The Rise and Fall of the Plastic Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Anyone using biblical quotes whilst trying to explain something scientific gets scepticism from me.

He seems to believe in invisible friends and the supernatural, at which point science goes out the window.

Invisible friends? I think we've just come full circle on this thread.

Berlin, 1929. The poet and journalist George Sylvester Viereck has charmed an interview out of an initially reluctant superstar physicist¹. He asks: "How do you account for your discoveries? Through intuition or inspiration?" Albert Einstein replies:
"Both. I sometimes feel I am right, but do not know it. When two expeditions of scientists went to test my theory I was convinced they would confirm my theory. I wasn't surprised when the results confirmed my intuition, but I would have been surprised had I been wrong. I'm enough of an artist to draw freely on my imagination, which I think is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Seriously? You do realize that many of the most famous and revolutionary Scientists ever had a belief in the supernatural and unseen.

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.Albert Einstein, "Science, Philosophy and Religion: a Symposium", 1941

Just to point out the folly of trying to use Albert Einstein quotes as some sort of argument.

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." - Albert Einstein in a letter to the philosopher Eric Gutkind, 3rd January 1954

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
If anyone is interested (now that the thread has now drifted to woo science) A fairly straight forward debunking of the electric universe can be found here. Of course not everyone will agree with it but if we were all rational and thought along the same lines Scientology and Homeopathy would not exist either.

http://neutrinodreaming.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/electric-universe-theory-debunked.html

Nor would anything else exist.

"Rational" is a linguistic spook that implies some sort of objectivity being produced by a highly subjective machine (the human brain).

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Which implies the the method can remove the subjectivity. But who is using the method? And where does the input come from?

As pointed in the Einstein quote the input into the method came from imagination which is pure subjectivity.

No method or number of people will remove the subjectivity variable from the equation.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
63upuc.gif

Sums it all up

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
If anyone is interested (now that the thread has now drifted to woo science) A fairly straight forward debunking of the electric universe can be found here. Of course not everyone will agree with it but if we were all rational and thought along the same lines Scientology and Homeopathy would not exist either.

http://neutrinodreaming.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/electric-universe-theory-debunked.html

A straight forward debunking, your kidding right? That is a laughable 'debunking'. I've seen better debunking of the spherical Earth by Flat Earthers! The comments section is far more informative than the actual article.

As I have said "We shall have to wait and see, flannels at the ready!"

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Just to point out the folly of trying to use Albert Einstein quotes as some sort of argument.

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." - Albert Einstein in a letter to the philosopher Eric Gutkind, 3rd January 1954

He says the Bible is primitive and yet honourable. The founding Fathers of the United States of America recognised and quoted the wisdom contained within the Bible and yet they also recognised its short comings and that it contained fables for children. But of course those that treat Mainstream Science as their religion do not have a monopoly on Wisdom and they still believe in Creation Myths such as the Big Bang. "In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded." Terry Pratchett.
You seem to imply that Einstein did not believe in a God from your quote, that is patently false. There was no folly in quoting him, it demonstrated exactly that many Scientists believe in the Supernatural. To imply that someone can't be a good Scientist because they do so is utterly ridiculous, in fact as Einstein said, lame!

I think we have done this to death. Please keep your flannel to hand just in case you are wrong and don't forget to take those reusable bags with you when going shopping. ;)

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
63upuc.gif

Sums it all up

Oh! Oh! That's the one where they tap on to an Alien computer where the locals are having a debate Picard finds really boring but a cloaked Romulan ship has uploaded a virus to the Enterprise computer so they can't unsubscribe. One of my favourites!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh! Oh! That's the one where they tap on to an Alien computer where the locals are having a debate Picard finds really boring but a cloaked Romulan ship has uploaded a virus to the Enterprise computer so they can't unsubscribe. One of my favourites!

Nerd! :) .

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
He says the Bible is primitive and yet honourable. The founding Fathers of the United States of America recognised and quoted the wisdom contained within the Bible and yet they also recognised its short comings and that it contained fables for children.....

Really? I've studied the Founding Fathers a good bit and I've never seen anything quoting them saying anything about "fables for children."

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....You seem to imply that Einstein did not believe in a God from your quote, that is patently false. There was no folly in quoting him, it demonstrated exactly that many Scientists believe in the Supernatural. To imply that someone can't be a good Scientist because they do so is utterly ridiculous, in fact as Einstein said, lame!.....

This is my understanding of Einstein as well. And of Galileo, and Newton also.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Star Trek TOS and TNG are the best of the franchise although TOS just has the lead for me and both series are a couple of mouse clicks away :) Both box sets are worth buying (if you've not got them already).

Are you a fan of this fantastic series

[video=youtube;NzlG28B-R8Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y[/video]

jontok

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2009
Norway
We used to do it here - charging a deposit on a glass bottle and refunding it when the bottle was returned. Can't see why it wouldn't work still :)
We have that here, both for bottles and cans, and it works great.

We also have the bag tax + we can choose between biodegradable and non-biodegradable bags. The only downside on that is that the idiots have put a higher tax on the biodegradable bags, so most people don't choose them.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Star Trek TOS and TNG are the best of the franchise although TOS just has the lead for me and both series are a couple of mouse clicks away :) Both box sets are worth buying (if you've not got them already).

Are you a fan of this fantastic series

[video=youtube;NzlG28B-R8Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y[/video]

I don't remember much of TOS TBH, always liked TNG and later got addicted to Voyager though never finished it out.

I was always disappointed on TNG they never had James Brown guest as an admiral. An ensign would come up to him and say "Your report is finished Admiral" to which James Brown would reply "Take it to the Bridge".

Then there was the Voyager episode they never made where the TV signals from the 90's have reached that area of space and an energy overload causes the transporters to malfunction beaming the characters from Father Ted onto the ship.

I really haven't spent enough time in the woods, with girls or in the woods with girls have I?

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
STV was good but I never got into B5 or DS9 for that matter; I must persevere with them in the future. There are a lot of original TZ episodes on YT which are well worth you watching.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I remember TZ being a bit dark for my sensibilities at the time. X-files as well, though I did love Dark Skies, thought that was pretty clever and a real shame it was cancelled at the end of the first series.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE