The return of the sloe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Isn't this a grand sight after last years dismal showing? I'm delighted to see so many around. Funny old thing nature. Never really thought about them "failing" till last year

Red

Lots and lots of them around here this year. As you say last year was dismal. There are hundreds of blackthorn bushes in the hedgerows here and I was shocked when there were next to none last year.

Seems most berries are ripening early this year around these parts.

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
Yo, bushcraftbob. What is this hawthorn berry and crabapple fruit leather experiment of which you speak? I am intrigued, because although I understood every word in the sentence, the entire sentence makes no sense to me.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
hmmm haws there's buckets of them round here...
also got my eye on the Rowans too, always thought the berries for the rowan were poisonous. how wrong was i? i'm digging out some recipies for em atm :D

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I got enough sloes to make 5 1/2 lb of sloe jelly last year, the 1st jar was almost gone before I'd had chance to stick the labels on, the rest managed to last untill about the first week in november. I'm not sure if that's a testament to my jam making skills or just kids with hollow legs.
As well as the sloes I've noticed the rose hips are looking pretty good also this year

descry0

Nov 14, 2008
Northumberland
No sign of ripening here yet of the sloes. I must give a nod to John Fenna for his fine sloe gin! one of the best!

I've been bilberry picking today and there's an abundance! lots of summer puds and pies to make. Though they are so ripe that they explode whilst being picked.

I also become very excited when finding a new location for ceps. They were birch (orange topped) ones and apparently they're not so good and become black when cooked. Anyone have a nice recipe?
We have a great crop of saffron milk caps here from sept+. They have a great nutty taste and have now become one of my favorites. Yum.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
This reminds me I've still got two bags full of sloes in the freezer from last season!:eek:
I wonder if there ok to use????:confused:

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Its all happening!!! I have just made 6 large jars of Mirabelle Plum jam which is the best I have made yet. I made sloe Gin and Vodka last year first go and all is now gone. Plenty of Sloes ripe now but will they taste the same with the false freezing method?

Off to pick some more plums tonight to try plum gin and vodka aswell this year!! should make for a Christmas.(hicuup!!)

Blackberrys are a poor show though at the mo.

happy days!

Andy

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
abundance of slows in my area, same story with the haws, damsons, crab apples, rowans and blackberries :)

they should all be ripe very soon and when that time comes i'll have no idea what to make first, probably sloe gin followed closely by blackberry schnapps then some plum and apple jam :)

TJ

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I have a secret patch in west lothian if you're interested. last year I made two demi johns of sloe gin and I still have some left in the freezer. They won't be ready for picking until october though.

Well, I'll recce my new loc first and, if it's bare, I might take you up on that! We managed nothing last year and it's getting desperate!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Over the yearss I've had good results with sloes, damsons and cherrys all steeped in gin to make liquor, there must be other things that'll work too. The cherries took about 4 times as long to work as sloes, but the end result was superb & you could eat the boozy cherries:)

Dave

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Well!
I know everyone said last year was a poor year for sloes, yet I still did OK.
However.
This year is amazing!
I have been out for a ride today and there are places I never knew there were sloes and there are shed loads! It's an embarrassment of riches.
Which has got me thinking (in between worrying about whether the government are trying to kill us off with vitamin deficiency - you bell-end, you know who you are) - are some of those sloes actually damsons!?
And yet I know they're not.
I normally harvest them in mid/late September. I don't consider myself a sloe-expert, merely competent. But I am left all a-tizz.
When is everyone else going to harvest them? I'm thinking NOW. I have a tough pallet (unless a sweetie acid drop makes my tongue bleed it doesn't even register on the taste-ometre) and tried a couple today and I reckon they're ripe.
Can't decide what to do.
My instincts say 'leave them for a few more weeks', but the rational part of me says 'pick them whilst ripe or else they'll be gone!!'
What do you all suggest, considering I'm in the south-east where things tend to ripen sooner than the grim ol' north?
Cheers.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Damsons are bigger

sloes are a little smaller than my thumbnail

Damsons are twice the size.

I saw some sloes the other day; gaining their colour but Ill leave them a few weeks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE