The return of the sloe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
My job involves clearing brush and trees beneath powerlines, including vast tangly, prickly swathes of blackthorn. I've never seen as many sloes as I have this year. In fact the Prunus (plum) family are all very productive this year after two bad years.

I'm in West Sussex and will happily supply bucketfulls to anyone who wants to come and get them when they're ready.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Done it already, I have two bottles of sloe gin on the go, made with nothing other than Plymouth Gin and local sloes. I have been watching them too and noticed although some trees bear green berries, other bear partally ripe berries and some have the sloes fully ripe, soft and even shrivelling on the branch, I got berries off the latter. Also I have noticed this year, the Black thorn, well, some trees have fully ripe pea sized sloe berries.

So I got an early batch of gin on, aim to go for the other trees in a couple of weeks time.

But one thing was a wonder, a patch where I knew there were loads, I went there on Thursday, and every single sloe berry was gone, completely gone, no berries left of any kind. There were tyre tracks around and all the undergrowth was crumpled down, but the trees bore leaves only,

Blackberry wine next, as this years crop is awesome, in fact my foray to collect sloes was interspersed with bouts of picking squash in the fingers big juicy black berries. And whilst I was thinking of that, I noticed the rose hips, haws, elderberry and gone wild apple trees. Found something I have yet to identify, something that resembles plum, but the fruits are yellowy red, big and ripe.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I've decided, sod it - there's too many sloes about and they seem to be ripening quickly and I'm scared everyone will go sloe made and have them all before I get some.
So, I'm just about to go out and pick a couple of pound of them and make my first batch of sloe gin.
I'll then give it another month or so and then pick some more and make a second batch.
I'll mark them 'early' and 'late' and it will be interesting to see how differently they taste.
Anyway, I'm off RIGHT NOW to get me some sloes!

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
I've checked out my local sloes over the weekend and, whilst they are BIG, the flesh is still green. When I collected them late last October, much of the flesh was red. I'd say mine aren't ready yet.

Thoughts?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE