The Return of the Aussie Camp Oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A while back I received a small Aussie Camp Oven from a mate down under and I've now had a chance to use it.

00000aapic.jpg

After a couple of sessions baking with it I think I have the hang of it and am delighted with the results, which are the equal of anything I have done at home with the gas oven, albeit cooking times are slightly slower.

It is simplicity itself to use, hot coals being shovelled on top and replaced as they burn down, while sitting on the top of more coals/hot ash. Once I got the hang of regulating the heat the only problems I had was not allowing for the expansion of what I was baking, which could happen in any oven and is pure user error.

00000aapic1.jpg

It's as tough as old boots and being spun steel laughed off my dropping it on flagstones. Ok its heavy but not so bad I wouldn't take it on walks in the woods if I was in a group.

I baked various buns, damper, shortbread and "Roman ration bread" (which is just bread made with spelt flour and using honey rather than sugar). My main problem was keeping the wife and kids off the cakes! I didn't have a chance to do a roast (which would have involved a lot of cleaning although wrapping it in foil would have minimalised it) but I can't see it not doing that well.

I need to make a tough canvas cover for it to stop soot transfer, (although since I was using coals there was suprisingly little) and cut a couple of lifters. Since I primarily want it for baking I'll also get some baking tins to go inside and fit wire loops to ease lifting.

OK you can make your own but if you can't or don't want to and like he idea of fresh bread in the woods then I can't recomend it enough.

The maker in Adelaide has brought out a new version
http://www.southern-metal-spinners.com.au/camping-page.html
but I prefer the version I have, as it happens.

I've also just received a Grohmanns flat grind Survival knife and used it for the first time this last week. If its not been covered in the relevant section I'll do a mini review when I've used it some more but first impressions are its a excellent tool.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It came with the trivet which worked remarkably well, no burning on the base of anything I cooked and nothing stuck to it despite some of them being quite moist when they went on it, just a nice knobbaly pattern.

The wife got me a copy of Jack and Reg Absalom's book "Outback cooking in the camp oven" which has some good stuff in it and the local Tescos sells the Aussie "Heat-Bead" brand of charcoal that their website refers to as it happens,

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Not that I know of but you can but ask. The wife paid the 25 odd quid for it and my Aussie mate thought he owed me for some surplus bits so paid for the surface postage so I can't rightly say how much it cost to ship over.

I'm now working on getting a Kiwi mate to source me the jumbo Thermette to go with the normal sized one he sent me. It will probably take a kidney this time ;-{D)

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE