The Perfect Bush Watch!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SkogKniv

Dec 7, 2008
Way upstate NY
you're hard pushed in the UK to find somewhere with absolutely no signal on a phone... as for "unplugging" it's all well and good until some sort of emergency then you're screaming at the sky for some sort of communication.

Yes they could be handy, but I have to do without. I guess I like knowing that if my wits aren't about then I can find myself in a spot of bother. Forces one to be constantly aware at all times. I've fractured both ankles, so every step I take now is thought out and placed with care haha. I can make a crutch in record time no problem haha.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Quote:

Originally Posted by w00dsmoke

[The perfect bush watch is the intimate awareness and relationship that you have with the natural rhythms and cycles of your space in the world.

Unfortunatley this is difficult to achieve unless you spend alot of time consistently out of doors as this process is as dynamic as the earths cycles; it's something that cannot be learnt or taken away and revisited for use later and can only be achieved by doing and having an awareness while doing it.] unquote

What on earth have you been smoking?!?!?!

------------------------------

Thats what I was thinkin'
icon7.gif

I have a few watches, decent ones and some cheap ones, at the airport in September, my g/daughter harrassed me to buy this for myself, its cheap and an okay watch, I swam with it on....maybe in the hope I could sling it if it stopped workin'
icon7.gif
but its a strong watch I can recommend if yer want a cheap outdoor watch.

http://www.sekonda.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=Range.view&ID=5&ModelID=321

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
ah pict, the timeless casio watch, i use to bash about the bush with my £10 casio from Argos, have to say they are as robust as a G-Shock, currently i have a G-Shock mod 3063 got solar panels wave ceptor etc... and it serves me good.

Has anyone seen the pro-trek casio watches? imho i beleive they are just inferior Suunto watches.

you're hard pushed in the UK to find somewhere with absolutely no signal on a phone... as for "unplugging" it's all well and good until some sort of emergency then you're screaming at the sky for some sort of communication.

You don't need to be remote at all to get no signal. Last year I was at Loch chon with a breakdown and absolutley no signal on my phone (Vodaphone), I had to walk a few miles down to Loch Ard to get a telephone box and I still waited 11 and half hours on the AA coming out! And several months ago I was only 20 minutes north of Glasgow at Carron Reservoir and had no mobile reception when my work vehicle broke down!

Loch Chon is an hour north of Glasgow, Carron Reservoir is 30mins, neither can by anyones description be called remote.

And what have I been smoking? Tut tut young man what do you infer?,just a reader of Aldous Huxley...among many other visionaries....:240:

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've been using a G-Shock for the last year. It is still looking good and working well. Great value for money and it's as tough as they say.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=57302

Even if I do eventually manage to smash it to pieces I'll have got my money's worth out of it.

I've used it felling trees, clearing shrub, fixing cars, putting my arm in filthy water, slashing brush, etc, etc. It's my only watch and I wear it all the time so it gets a lot of wear and tear.

I like analogue hands on my watch so its a plus for me that there are quite a few in the range to chose from.

I'm not keen on the idea of having all in one watches. I prefer to have separate instruments for things like GPS, thermometer, compass, etc as the watch ones tend to be a bit gimmicky and fiddly to use IMO. Also the cost is more than the individual items sold separately. For example a Suunto X10 is around 350GBP; separately I can get a G-Shock (or other watch), equivalent spec GPS, Compass and Barometer (my GPS has a compass and barometer built in anyway) and still have money in my pocket.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
ah pict, the timeless casio watch, i use to bash about the bush with my £10 casio from Argos, have to say they are as robust as a G-Shock, currently i have a G-Shock mod 3063 got solar panels wave ceptor etc... and it serves me good.

Has anyone seen the pro-trek casio watches? imho i beleive they are just inferior Suunto watches.

I bought that one up in Alaska because I had forgotten to pack my watch, $15, it tells time, and I can get the mud and blood out of it.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have any of the watches mentioned in this thread and more power to you all. Sometimes simple, that keeps time, is good. I'm just happy I had the experience of sewing it back together at 6:30 AM in a cave 4500 feet up a mountain. Days like that are too few and far between. Mac

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

I wish you were right Squidders - I dont even get a signal in my own home!
A large part of the country near where I live - not to mention a large part of our nearest town and most of the valleys around...
It is not as if Vodaphone is a small company with poor general coverage either!
Screaming at the sky is one of the best communication options around here.:rolleyes:

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
A question for the analogoue face watch users, why analgoue??? To me it;d all about Big digital faces that light up at night and serve as a handy tourch in the tent, also it just makes things much easier being about to just read digits, and adjuct times without a fiddle, will with analgou g-shocks especailly, simple tasks like setting a stop watch can get rather confusing....

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I have a Suunto Core, which is fantastic. The display is the best part for me - easy to read, and the illumination is nice and discreet. So far I've only played with the altimeter when flying. The compass works, too, and the whole thing is really light. The strap is worth a mention; it's incredibly comfortable, and the way it mounts to the body means it can move with the wearer.

I bought the Core because I thought I was likely to be sent to a sandy place, and I didn't want to risk any of my automatic watches - Panerai Luminor Marina and Oris TT Diver.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
When out in the woods My wife knows what time to pick me up and where so I don't normally take a watch.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I wish you were right Squidders - I dont even get a signal in my own home!
A large part of the country near where I live - not to mention a large part of our nearest town and most of the valleys around...
It is not as if Vodaphone is a small company with poor general coverage either!
Screaming at the sky is one of the best communication options around here.:rolleyes:

O2 has the best coverage and their network is used by other providers EXCEPT Vodaphone who have their own. At the bushmoot Luke could not get a signal on his (Vodaphone) mobile but I did on my O2

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Imo the time for a watch is over. One or two more years and we can buy a little electronic GPS/watch/communication-unit. The only reason to have a watch is for navigation. As a replacement for GPS. But then it should be absolutely non-electronic (otherwise you are not really independent) and very, very accurate (which is expensive). One second makes quite a difference in distance.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
A question for the analogoue face watch users, why analgoue??? To me it;d all about Big digital faces that light up at night and serve as a handy tourch in the tent, also it just makes things much easier being about to just read digits, and adjuct times without a fiddle, will with analgou g-shocks especailly, simple tasks like setting a stop watch can get rather confusing....

I like to see analogue hands because they show the time in a more visual way that gives you an overview of what the time is in relation to the entire day. You more easily visualize how long it is until your appointment (or whatever) for example.

Digital is fine and I have a watch with both analogue and digital but digital tells me what the time is now and doesn't relate it to anything. It is therefore up to me to work out what the numbers mean and how they relate to the rest of the day. So it is no longer "quarter to two" where I can see the hands position but "1:45PM " with no other reference.

You'll notice that most cars still use analogue displays for speedometers and rev counters. Aeroplanes also use analogue.

My analogue watch face lights up just as bright as any digital one, in fact it has an LED light and could be used as torch in a bind. It is also luminous so I can read the analogue display in the dark without lighting it up.

Yes twice a year I do have to fiddle with the hands because of daylight savings but it's no big deal.

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
I like to see analogue hands because they show the time in a more visual way that gives you an overview of what the time is in relation to the entire day. You more easily visualize how long it is until your appointment (or whatever) for example.

Digital is fine and I have a watch with both analogue and digital but digital tells me what the time is now and doesn't relate it to anything. It is therefore up to me to work out what the numbers mean and how they relate to the rest of the day. So it is no longer "quarter to two" where I can see the hands position but "1:45PM " with no other reference.

You'll notice that most cars still use analogue displays for speedometers and rev counters. Aeroplanes also use analogue.

My analogue watch face lights up just as bright as any digital one, in fact it has an LED light and could be used as torch in a bind. It is also luminous so I can read the analogue display in the dark without lighting it up.

Yes twice a year I do have to fiddle with the hands because of daylight savings but it's no big deal.
Great points there, i never really thought about how the hands on the watch could place the day in a "relative" perspective. But i can see nad agree form where your coming from.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE