Watch review Citizen Spots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
[h=1]Watch Review[/h] Not to read by anyone under 35... you just wouldn't understand, it's an age thing!

It comes to all of us at some point, there was this noise in the garden, three cats and a fox having an acid house party. Helen , the light of my life and joy of my existence, hit me in the ribs with an elbow with the famous married comment of 'wake up there riot going on, you were snoring and what’s the time?'

The inevitable routine began. The glowing sports Omega on my wrist was so dull it was a speck of fuzz, so the glasses were reached for. The glasses made no difference as it was still dark and the lumps of glowing stuff were very indistinct and of course...which was the hour hand and the minute hand?

The time had come and the muse of the moment was upon me, I needed another watch that I could read in the dark and use in the woods. This was not conveyed to the divine Helen who was now asleep snoring in her own right....

The quest: find a watch that glowed, had big numbers and could be translated in the dark without putting on my glasses. Further to this no strange buttons and dials, its nice to be able to calculate the fuel efficiency of the Jumbo jet your in, but when I buy a ticket I also hire a guy to do it for me.
The quest actually took a lot of time and it only ended when strolling by a shop in Windsor that sold watches to lots of the soldiers.

The Citizen Sports is an old school eco-drive, never needs winding, never need batteries, just leave it on a shelf and it will self charge. The strap is very robust has now been subject to a two years of abuse, it has been walking in Scotland, swimming in the Indian ocean and up to it neck in blocked drain, in a washing machine at 60 degree cotton wash. I wear it on my right wrist so its been subject hammering, gardening and taken all of the vibration of drilling and wood chopping. In short it has been abused and used hard. Its rare that a working watch that I own and use will last 18 months without some kind of TLC, this has done two years and still going strong. The big plus is the strap has alloy riveted eyes for the buckle so the holes cant tear. The one down side is you manually have to adjust the date, in fact its an almost identical to the Services Issue watch of the 60/70's before they went battery operated.

Big, Simple, Clear, Bright, Bullet proof. All in all roubust, simple well thought out kit.
[h=1]Citizen Eco-Drive Gents Bracelet Watch BM6400-00E[/h]

• Case Width: 43mm
  • Case Depth: 13mm
  • Clasp Type: Push-button deployment
  • Water Resistance: 200m
  • Glass Type: Mineral Crystal
  • Case Material: Stainless Steel
  • Movement: Eco-Drive
  • Packaging: Citizen presentation box
  • Guarantee: Citizen 5 year guarantee

Last edited:

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
eco-drive ninja version.JPGThe watch in question. woven strap with riveted holes for buckle.
aaa citizen.jpg they now do a Ninja version all in black.

Last edited:

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Good review.

I've got this exact same watch on my wrist now. It really is top notch.
The lume is incredible. Out jogging the other day I checked my watch and I noticed that because a cloud had gone over the sun the watch had a discernible glow even in the middle of the day!
It looks good whatever the occasion too, camping or with formal attire. I wear suits a lot and it always looks the part. A no nonsense dependable wristwatch.

Sent from my phone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE