The passing of my best buddy

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
So sorry hardest thing I ever had to do still miss my old fella everyday and that was 18 months ago :(

lovely looking pup hope you have many a happy year together

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So sorry for your loss. It just never gets easier. GSPs are great dogs; a bit hard-headed, but great pets and extemely good bird dogs.

There will be those who condradict me when I say, dogs knoe so muych more than we believe. I suspect one of the reasons Murphy got along so well with the new pup is that he knew his time was near and he was glad he wouldn't be leaving you alone.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
They are, but they are hard work. Mine was issued to me in nevember 06 when he was 20months old, & i worked him until april 13, when i stopped being a dog handler(did 14yrs). They then took him off me, as he had such a good detection/arrest rate, they wanted him to keep working. However, i got him as he was difficult to handle, & he refused to work for anyone else, so i was allowed to retire him & keep him, i then finished in august, so we skipped of in the setting sun wagging our tails !

Rob

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
So sorry for your loss. It just never gets easier. GSPs are great dogs; a bit hard-headed, but great pets and extemely good bird dogs.

There will be those who condradict me when I say, dogs knoe so muych more than we believe. I suspect one of the reasons Murphy got along so well with the new pup is that he knew his time was near and he was glad he wouldn't be leaving you alone.

Thank you santaman2000, what you is certainly the impression that we have, it did seem that Murphy could step back and know that his dad was in good hands. Your thoughts just brought a year to my eye, in good way :)

And yes, they are certainly hard headed but crave human company. When I got him I read that the breed was 'stubborn and sensitive' how very true! The little fellow has a fantastic nose and is already retrieving a tennis ball to me so I'm hoping for great things from him:p

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
They are, but they are hard work. Mine was issued to me in nevember 06 when he was 20months old, & i worked him until april 13, when i stopped being a dog handler(did 14yrs). They then took him off me, as he had such a good detection/arrest rate, they wanted him to keep working. However, i got him as he was difficult to handle, & he refused to work for anyone else, so i was allowed to retire him & keep him, i then finished in august, so we skipped of in the setting sun wagging our tails !

Rob

Was that as a police dog Rob? I didn't realise they used them but it makes perfect sense as they are so versatile.
They are hard work...Murphy was four before he really started to listen but he was so loving even when naughty it was hard to be annoyed with him for long!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Bird dogs (I believe you call them gun dos there) such as pointers are very good for search and rescue. They are one of the few breeds that easily switch from ground scenting (tracking a spore0 to air scenting (smelling the actual person/item searched for on the breeze)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
The generic name for all pointers/setters, is hpr's ie hunter pointer retrievers.

Mine was a drug dog, passive detection trained to search people, he once also found a firearm on a car park.

Rob

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I feel your sadness, Swotty. Lost my big girl 10 months since and miss her every day.

I'm sorry for your loss Ian they are never out of our minds are they? My old Lurcher girl passed two years ago and I still think of her every day.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Missed this Swotty. Very sad. Lovely dogs. My uncle has a wire hair pointer. Poetry in motion when they are moving. Hope the new fella brings you as much happiness

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
My sympathies. Lost a few pets myself. Feel like an idiot over mourning an animal, but people don't realise. Lots of people have seemed to recently lost pets.

A lost pet animal sticky in your Buddys honour is what we need !

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
My sympathies. Lost a few pets myself. Feel like an idiot over mourning an animal, but people don't realise. Lots of people have seemed to recently lost pets.

A lost pet animal sticky in your Buddys honour is what we need !

Thanks for the kind words chaps.

A sticky is an excellent idea.....any mods looking in on this?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE