The passing of my best buddy

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Unfortunately I had to have my best friend put to sleep yesterday. He was a ten year old German Shorthaired Pointer called Murphy. He had various health problems over the years, he was an addisons sufferer and had had various little lumps and cysts removed.
About 6 months ago a lump developed in his throat which turned out to be a tumour, it's got progressively worse and yesterday his breathing became laboured and he was in discomfort so the time came for him to slip away peacefully by a lovely vet who came to the house. I miss him.

During the Christmas period we toyed with the idea of getting a pup but didn't want to put Murphy's nose out of joint, however we heard of a 9 week old 3/4 GSP x 1/4 Lab and decided to go and have a look. We got Fiennes ( as in Sir Ranulph) that same day and the two of them got on like a house on fire and shared a happy week together. I'm so glad we got him as a bit of Murphy has rubbed off on him and he has made waking up this morning easier than it would have been.

So to my best friend and his new successor.... I miss you Murphy and Fiennes, you have a lot to live up to!
uquvupav.jpg
ha5u7ujy.jpg

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Feel for you mate. Never easy losing a friend.

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Thanks guys, this first morning is the hardest. Pups to young to go for a walk (hasn't had his second jabs yet) and its so weird not taking Murphy out.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Swotty, feel for you mate, had a liver and white one called Fritz for years, unfortunately all of his brains were in his dangly bits! So at every opportunity a wandering he would go, all the people of the parish knew our phone number off by heart and we regularly had to go and collect him from all over the outskirts of the town, i think he preferred the country girl!

Great friends, and you have a new one, good luck the new journey begins.

Kindest regards.

Ivan...

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Hi Swotty, feel for you mate, had a liver and white one called Fritz for years, unfortunately all of his brains were in his dangly bits! So at every opportunity a wandering he would go, all the people of the parish knew our phone number off by heart and we regularly had to go and collect him from all over the outskirts of the town, i think he preferred the country girl!

Great friends, and you have a new one, good luck the new journey begins.

Kindest regards.

Ivan...

Thanks Ivan, yes as a breed they can be quite strong minded can't they!

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Very sorry to here that my friend. His memory will always live with you. With every place you walked him will remind you of the great times you had. Keep your chin up mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Sorry to hear the news Swotty, always very hard. All the best with the youngster.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Sorry to hear this. Lost my old lab before Christmas he was 16. I've also got a gsp, mines liver & white, & he'll be 9 next april.

Rob

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Sorry to hear this. Lost my old lab before Christmas he was 16. I've also got a gsp, mines liver & white, & he'll be 9 next april.

Rob

Sorry to hear about your Lab it's never easy at any age is it? GSP's are great dogs aren't they? I'm looking forward to the pup being able to go out and to training him.

Thank you everyone, I really am moved by your kind words.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE