The North Star!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

Sharpshooter

I sat home this morning waiting for the "Big Brown Truck" to pull up, it was a lot like being a kid on Christmas Morning.

I knew that Mike had sent the First North Star yesterday; so every truck than went by sounded like THE TRUCK. It finally showed up, just in time for me to leave for work, but first I had to open it and share my thoughts with Mike.

I picture is worth a thousand words, but holding the knife that I was seeking so many months ago in my hand is priceless. It's everything I hoped it would be and more.

Enough rambling....

The North Star

Sharpshooter_North%20Star.jpg

Mike, this is one very special knife; it just feels RIGHT.

The details are incredible; check out the tapered tang and grooves on the spine...

Sharpshooter_Tang.jpg

Thanks Mike, you really made MY Knife of the Year.

I'll get it into the woods sometime in the next few days, lots more pics and a full performance report as soon as possible.

Order 'em up now, this will be one hot knife.

Reid

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!
I can't see any pics!! :banghead: :aargh4:

I can't wait for the field report, I'm hoping this is "THE" knife too. :wink:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Tasty knife!!

My wife just said I can have one, just as soon as I've worn out all the others I've got! Aw shucks!

Looks like a winner for Mike over at Bark River.

Dave

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just a quick note to sharpshooter and whoever. Pics posted on JM's site dont appear to show up for many people. I cant see a damned thing. Must be something to do with the permissions he has set or something.

I can get the link to the pic by quoting the original message and copying it from there, but that doesnt even work for me.

http://forums.outdoors-magazine.com/upload/images/Sharpshooter_North Star.jpg

It seems to get filtered through a CGI script which kills my access.

B

Bex

:nono: We’re thinking of a dealer section, when we do this post will be more appropriate.

Tony

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Bex said:
Please note also that according to Joe at ODS import tariffs are going to escalate in the near future.

As an aside, any ideas why this is so? I deal a lot with imports and as far as I'm aware there are no changes in Customs and Excise regulations that would cause this. :?:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I'm trying to get a fix on this issue but not having any luck with it looking through the TARIC codes for imports. http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_customs/dds/en/tarhome.htm

According to this the rates for blades (hand held, fixed or otherwise) remains at 8.5%. I know that

Here is the duty on fixed blades into the UK from the US:

http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_...000&Country=US/0400&Day=30&Month=07&Year=2004

I'll have a word with UKCE in the morning ... it wouldn't be the first time that they've told people nonesence ... to me, this doesn't seem accurate.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Adi's right I import stuff from the states and if anything I think they're slackening off - charges seem to have dropped a little.

Maybe a little misunderstanding or something! :?:

Also, I have enquired on BB but BCUK memebrs might also like to know what the sheath looks like so any chance of a picture or two?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Raz said:
Martyn if I shut down my firewall I can see them, but otherwise can't work around it! :(

I've solved the problem with pictures not showing up Raz. The culprit was Zone Alarm, I had the ad blocking set to "high" which was killing all attatched and embeded images. I switched ad blocking to medium security and everything is fine now.

Any news on this confusion over duty increases on knives and torches?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Back to the thread - I have ordered one of these knives ( I know I am a confirmed flat grind lover and I know I love my Mora) so we shall see how good it really is. Once I've had it a while I'll do a review, personally I have high hopes but we shall see.

Interesting the sheath (no pictures available) I'm told comes with a fire steel loop and a pocket which is designed to hold a Magnesium block but which I think will be ideal for a couple of wet fire blocks or a small whet stone. :super:

Maybe a new era in knife craft approaches and for £68 it wont be such an expensive one! :shock:

BUT WE SHALL SEE - WATCH THIS SPACE!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE