The North Star!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
bushwacker bob said:
So how much is a North star? JOE?

Carefull BB, the Boss'll be locking the thread down. ;)

But, standard model, with black canvas micarta and hollow pins will set you back $105.00 Plus £5GBP for shipping (special delivery) from Joe at ODS (10% discount for upfront payment - that's $89.50 or £49.02 plus shipping). It should be noted there are a huge number of handle and pin options which can take the knife upto around $140 (or higher) - depending on what you choose - But, with a 10% discount, that's $126 which is still only £68.9532 GBP. For a high end, exotic hardwood handled knife, that is blimmin cheap!

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
SteveUK said:
Can somebody let me know where I can order a Northstar from, I have been looking for a new Bushcraft blade for a while now,

Thanks

Stephen.

Joe at Outdoor Supplies UK is the Uk distributer.
On British Blades forum he has two threads running.

The first is a list of handle options and prices.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4845
As I posted previously

The second thread is a list of who has ordered what, so that Joe (and Mike at Bark River Knife and Tool company) can keep track of all the orders.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4895&page=1&pp=15

Need any more info ? email Joe he is very good at replying quickly.
Hope this helps. :)
Jon

M

Mike Stewart

Tony,

The grooves on the spine throw a heck of a good shower of sparks from any Ferro unit. The sheath holds either the Swedish Fire Steel and some Maya Wood or a Doan's Mag starter and a Sharpening rod.

No picture of the sheath yet but I will have one soon.

Mike......

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ya, I agree there, I used to have a brussletto Bamsen when I was in the army and I filed similar grooves onto its back and it was a real flame thrower with the sparks. :super:

Lemoneyewash

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2004
UK
TheViking said:
Hi...

I will be honest with you: I don't like it. What's so special about this blade?

As Martyn says nobody's got one in the UK yet but before I ordered mine I had a look around the U.S. forums and BRKT and Mike Stewart have an excellent reputation and quite a fan club. People who obviously know a hell of a lot more than I do about blades don't seem to have a bad word against them. Mike is also a very nice chap, approachable, open, knowledgable and a keen collector himself. A true blade enthusiast.
I've got to ask Viking, if you've read all the information and looked at the pictures what don't you like about it exactly? I know Mike would like to know.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
viking i think price and mikes reputation are two points on the plus side

i also like the look of it

and lastly the one that really attracted me was the fact that i could order a mini and or mikro canadian with matching pins and handles making a very good looking set

what dont you like about it?

you got me all curious too, hope ya dont mind me asking

Tant

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I have not used one of Mikes blades yet, but sure do like the looks of them. I'm probably going to pick up a mini Canadian and was thinking of a slightly larger drop point like the Woodsman, but looking at the photo of this blade and the price being so right on it, I'm thinking maybe wifey will order one up for Christmas.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

The reason that I don't like it is the handle shape and blade design. And to judge from the pictures, I can't see a bevel and that's not my style. :wink:
If you like it, it's fair enough, but I don't. :) :wink: :biggthump I believe there's always more than one point of view on a thing... :wink:

Cheers

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Andy i don't think people were questioning your right not to like the North Star. I think they were looking for more detailed information of what you don't like about the blade and handle shape. it is only from customer comments that companies can learn what you the user actually wants. i have not yet ordered a North Star. i am waiting to see how the first batch turns out etc.

Also i have ordered far too many knives lately and Val has started to prowl BCUK.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Oh sure...

It's the lanyard attachment on the handle, the design in general and the thing that I can't see the bevel, and it's a full tang. :wink:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
TheViking said:
It's the lanyard attachment on the handle,

Mike will happily remove this and put in a "normal" lanyard hole - there's actually a hole in the blank ready to do this.

TheViking said:
I can't see the bevel

It's fully convex so you wouldn't.

For the other 2 points, fair enough mate. As you say, each to their own!
:)

M

Mike Stewart

Hey Gents,

I do know that it is impossible to make something that everyone will like. I absolutely respect everyones opinion and am not offended if anyone doesn't like the North Star or , in fact , any of my offereings. I have my own tastes in various types of knives , axes and cutting tools and I know that you all respect me for my choices too.

We would be in really BIG toruble if everyone in the world wanted a North Star. We can only make 70 to 100 per day. I would be much older and much grayer trying to fill that demand.

Right now we have more orders than we have blades. I'm going to have to make another run sooner than expected.

Cheers,

Mike..........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE