The Norber Erratics

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
The Norber erratics have the peculiar feature that they are older than the rock on which they now rest.
They are Silurian greywacke sandstones of the Ordovician Age and are 430 million years old.
During the last Ice Age 13,000 years ago, the glacier flowed south out of Crummackdale and over the brow of the hill
picking up the Silurain greywacke and transporting it southwards about a mile. When the ice melted, the transported material
was deposited on top of the carboniferous limestone, formed some 330 million years ago on the floor of a shallow sea.
Whilst the general surface of the limestone bedrock has been lowered by about 24" the erratics have been left standing on
small plinths of protected limestone, having acted as natural umbrellas, sheltering the limestone from weathering and erosion.
perfecton3legs.jpg

the main field of them are where the foot paths meet above Nappa Scars which are above the village of Austwick
near Clapham North Yorkshire
1map.jpg

Looking at Nappa scars from the "C" in Crummack lane on the map. You can see some of the Erratics on the skyline
2nappascar.jpg

It is easy to tell them apart from the clear difference in colour. The sandstone is covered in green lichen and the limestone in white lichen.
abovehaversack2.jpg

If the Glacier didn't leave them perched it left them in a heap
bigpile.jpg

It was a keen wind but managed to shelter behind a boulder for a brew and a homemade bread Sild T/sauce sandwich
brewup-1.jpg

Stoves a British army petrol running on Panel Wipe and it's self pressureising i.e. no pumping chefs torch again to light.
Stove closed
stoveclosed.jpg

Before heading back down.The barn is between New Close Plantation and the "o" in Robin Proctor Scar on the map
teddyabovebarn.jpg

cheers all Danny

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Great post. :You_Rock_ (sorry for the dreadful pun)

Geology is fascinating and really enhances your knowledge of what is going on around you. It can also be helpful in bushcraft (for example you get bigger trout in the limestone lochs of the far nort west, as the water is less acidic.)

I am no expert and became interested through my interest in goldpanning. I recommend 'Teach Yourself Geology' which I think is used as a textbook by the Open university but is so clear, and assumes no prior knowledge, that it is a remarkably easy read.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Ok..followed the links..Sad *******!!Its stood like that since the last ice age...i hope they are feeling proud of themselves.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Firstly I've really been enjoying this series of threads posted by Danny..
The photos are great and so are the stoves...

It's a shame that a few people take the time to climb up onto a bit of moorland and wreck a great natural feature... I went climbing down at Lands End once and at the top of the route was a suspended granite boulder while I was rigging up a belay I found a very rusty old car jack crushed underneath the boulder... Someone had been trying to shift the boulder.. So I guess that sort of stupidity goes back a while at least and isn't a modern thing as such... It is a crying shame though..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE